Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 04:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I was at Whole Foods last night and was startled to see a woman with a sling on her back carrying a very large child who could have been as old as 4. The mother was probably no more than 5'4", so the child hung down with his feet about to her knees, or maybe a little past. I have no idea how she had such Herculaneum strength to carry him all around the store. I didn't get why she didn't just seat him in a shopping cart and save her back. I know we were talking strollers here, but this made me think about last night.
It's really hard to fit longer legs into those seats. Our daughter didn't take her first step until she was two and she was very lanky. To carry around a child that big, my first thought was that maybe he couldn't walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 05:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
I was at Whole Foods last night and was startled to see a woman with a sling on her back carrying a very large child who could have been as old as 4. The mother was probably no more than 5'4", so the child hung down with his feet about to her knees, or maybe a little past. I have no idea how she had such Herculaneum strength to carry him all around the store. I didn't get why she didn't just seat him in a shopping cart and save her back. I know we were talking strollers here, but this made me think about last night.
I didnt "wear" my daughter but I carried her until she was 6 because of anxiety issues. I many times pushed carts and carried her (but usually my son was in the cart)

Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I didnt "wear" my daughter but I carried her until she was 6 because of anxiety issues. I many times pushed carts and carried her (but usually my son was in the cart)
Wow, 6? She had to have been really heavy by that point, although I guess you just get used to it as they grow. I know I carried my children around easily for hours when they were as old as 2 or so, but now after a few years of not carrying a toddler, I know I'd be worn out probably just carrying one around for an hour. You must have had yourself some biceps by that point!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Saw a big lump of a girl about nine or ten in a shopping trolley a few weeks ago.. ridiculous.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:05 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
No i was not, but i can understand people using them in situations. The only time i have an issue with them is when the parents use the idiotically larger ones that look like cars or buses etc and it's in side with limited space.
As an aside (pun intended,) my favorite TX grocery store has those shopping carts with the baskets for kids attached that look like cars. Those things take up much more space than the regular carts and pushing regular carts in the aisle with them in the aisle is difficult because they block the aisles unless they are parked very carefully. They become a huge problem with the stores are busy on the weekend. Why do they exist at all? The kid has to sit in the cart either way. Blocking other customers' baskets with a pseudo car (especially with those parents who are on the cell phone) doesn't change the boring reality of the child's grocery shopping experience.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
The size of those things has never bothered me, but the grime that coats them certainly does. So gross!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:46 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
Quote:
Sounds like an easier way to do a piggy back ride. Does anyone ever question why a child isn't walking when they're riding on their father's backs or shoulders?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:50 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Wow, 6? She had to have been really heavy by that point, although I guess you just get used to it as they grow. I know I carried my children around easily for hours when they were as old as 2 or so, but now after a few years of not carrying a toddler, I know I'd be worn out probably just carrying one around for an hour. You must have had yourself some biceps by that point!
She was really lean and long. It was kind of like carrying around a baby chimp

Old 03-24-2015, 09:36 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Saw a big lump of a girl about nine or ten in a shopping trolley a few weeks ago.. ridiculous.
How do you know she was not physically disabled?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
As an aside (pun intended,) my favorite TX grocery store has those shopping carts with the baskets for kids attached that look like cars. Those things take up much more space than the regular carts and pushing regular carts in the aisle with them in the aisle is difficult because they block the aisles unless they are parked very carefully. They become a huge problem with the stores are busy on the weekend. Why do they exist at all? The kid has to sit in the cart either way. Blocking other customers' baskets with a pseudo car (especially with those parents who are on the cell phone) doesn't change the boring reality of the child's grocery shopping experience.
My daughter loves those stupid carts with the fake cars. I hate it when she asks if we can use one because they are so big and they are really , really hard to steer. I do use them from time to time if we're not in a hurry - I'm a SAHM so we shop at pretty low traffic times/days.

I mostly let her use them at Home Depot/ Lowes since she is too old for the regular cart but those places can be kinda dangerous for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting