Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 03:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I would rather see a small kid in a stroller instead of being walked hooked up to one of those ridiculous leashes.

If the kid fits in the stroller who cares how old they are.
If this thread is any indication, there is a depressing number of busybodies who think it's their business how you get your kids around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 05:15 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I see this way too much. People pushing 5 or 6 year olds in strollers. I'm not talking kids with disabilities, but "regular" kids who are of an age where they should be walking.

Once I was past toddlerhood, maybe age 3, I was not pushed in a stroller. Were you? I learned to walk with my parents, and not wander off or lag behind.

I remember being 4 and walking around large family amusement parks, the boardwalk, stores, etc. with my parents, sometimes holding their hand, sometimes just walking alongside. If I got tired and whiny, tough, I was big enough to walk and I had to keep up. If I kept whining, we went home.

Now there are kids who appear to be kindergarteners or even first graders being pushed around in strollers, and the parents say "it's just easier." They push the kids around in these huge strollers, sometimes 2-seaters, and knock stuff over in stores, and ride up the backs of your ankles if you're unfortunate enough to be in front of them.

If your kid can't handle walking around Disney World, or the mall, or the grocery store, then don't take him there until he can.
On our first day in Disney, we said the same thing. So we didn't get a stroller for our then-5 year old. Boy were we sorry, when we had to march all the way back to the front of the park mid-day, in the heat, to get one, because the 5 year old didn't give a crap that he's too old for a stroller. He was hot and tired and wasn't walking one more step, and was too old not to notice all the other 5 year olds in strollers.

And Disney is pretty much for 5 and 6 year olds, so it's silly to say don't bring them until they are old enough to walk it. Especially since Disney makes those strollers to fit older kids and actually recommends them.

And if it bothers you, then probably you shouldn't go to Disney.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:18 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,425 times
My parents always made me walk, but then again the bulk of my generation wasn't overweight by kindergarten.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:24 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
My parents always made me walk, but then again the bulk of my generation wasn't overweight by kindergarten.
Same here. But nowadays, god forbid if a kid has to deal with the tiniest bit of fatigue or discomfort by actually using their legs. If they're actually injured, that's one thing. But otherwise, it's not going to kill them to walk for a while. It'll do them some good by getting them some exercise, toughening them up a bit, and teaching them that the world doesn't revolve around them. They didn't evolve to sit on their asses stuffing their faces with funnel cake.

I'm not trying to tell parents what to do, but I'm not going to be doing the same.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Same here. But nowadays, god forbid if a kid has to deal with the tiniest bit of fatigue or discomfort by actually using their legs. If they're actually injured, that's one thing. But otherwise, it's not going to kill them to walk for a while. It'll do them some good by getting them some exercise, toughening them up a bit, and teaching them that the world doesn't revolve around them. They didn't evolve to sit on their asses stuffing their faces with funnel cake.

I'm not trying to tell parents what to do, but I'm not going to be doing the same.
Said the person who isn't sweating his ass off at Disneyworld, having already walked the equivalent of four miles through 100 degree heat and humidity, loaded down like a pack horse with rain gear, lunch bags, drinks, extra clothes and a pair of Minnie ears, just as a red-faced five year old begins a very public meltdown in the middle of the happiest and most crowded place on earth.

And you know, honey, we could put all this crap we're carrying in the stroller too.....SOLD.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Said the person who isn't sweating his ass off at Disneyworld, having already walked the equivalent of four miles through 100 degree heat and humidity, loaded down like a pack horse with rain gear, lunch bags, drinks, extra clothes and a pair of Minnie ears, just as a red-faced five year old begins a very public meltdown in the middle of the happiest and most crowded place on earth.

And you know, honey, we could put all this crap we're carrying in the stroller too.....SOLD.
Are you kidding? Lol.

I've done entire moves in that kind of weather lugging all my belongings on my back, back and forth, on crowded public transit, walking a total of at least that much.

And the moment a five year old throws a tantrum would be the moment I threatened that we would leave and go home right that second.

Like I said before, I'm not talking about special needs kids or injured kids. Just healthy capable ones.

Strollers are a poor substitute for discipline.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Are you kidding? Lol.

I've done entire moves in that kind of weather lugging all my belongings on my back, back and forth, on crowded public transit, walking a total of at least that much.

And the moment a five year old throws a tantrum would be the moment I threatened that we would leave and go home right that second.

Like I said before, I'm not talking about special needs kids or injured kids. Just healthy capable ones.

Strollers are a poor substitute for discipline.
It's not really reasonable to think a 5 year old can walk that many miles. The parks require walking - fast walking - for something like 6 miles a day. They can't do it. Many adults can't do it (hence the popularity of the motorized scooters, sold alongside the strollers).

Plus, when you pay 10K for a week at Disney, it's so your kid can have a magical experience, not so you can torture them and then "discipline" them.

You have no idea. You clearly don't understand anything about kids.

And I get the impression you haven't been to Disney as an adult, either.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It's not really reasonable to think a 5 year old can walk that many miles. The parks require walking - fast walking - for something like 6 miles a day. They can't do it. Many adults can't do it (hence the popularity of the motorized scooters, sold alongside the strollers).

Plus, when you pay 10K for a week at Disney, it's so your kid can have a magical experience, not so you can torture them and then "discipline" them.

You have no idea. You clearly don't understand anything about kids.

And I get the impression you haven't been to Disney as an adult, either.
Being a parent is so much easier before the kid is born.

I can only imagine a medical professional opinion of expecting 35lb Johnny to haul around for hours in the baking sun.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:24 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,425 times
My parents took me to Disney World when I was five, I walked and somehow managed to live through it.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
My parents took me to Disney World when I was five, I walked and somehow managed to live through it.
Be sure to include that on your résumé.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting