Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Knowing our paganmama, I'd have given good money to see this!!
. When i first started waiting tables i remember a waitress named flo breaking her leg avoiding 2 kids running across her path very quickly, and i resolved to myself i was not going to do that. So if a kid ran in my path or towards me i kept walking....most got out of my way *which gained me the glare of the parents*, some didn't *which gained me the glare of the parents*, and this one actually got hurt *which gained me the wrath of the parents, and them being kicked out for life*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
To add to the "kids running amock in stores" rant...can I add just one word. I believe it's self explanatory:

Heelies

I don't know why any adult would allow their child to own these, let alone roll up and down the aisles at Target with them. Even my kids roll their eyes whenever we see this. Crazy.
Same goes in the bike section at Walmart. I was trying to look at the bikes there recently, and there were older kids riding up and down the aisles. Stupid, dangerous, and very irritating.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:33 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I have to say it's not only little kids that are bad in stores. As someone who was a retail sales associate for 5 years I have seen it all.

Where as the 10 and under crowd might be the more "obnoxious" age group, from a sales perspective 12-15 year olds are THE WORST. I'll never forget I was working the front room of the store and two 13 year old girls came in eating pretzel dogs. They walked over to a table of shirts and when they talked away I saw the top shirt had ketchup all over it. I picked it up and asked her if she did it and the girl laughed in my face and said "What are you going to do about it?" and really I couldn't do anything. Also if I had a dollar for every food court cup I picked up and the gum I scraped off the fitting room walls I would have more than my pay check.

Sorry /end rant

I would have made her go in the back and taken her picture and told her and her friend they were banned. Then posted the picture at the front register to allow people to know they were.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
To add to the "kids running amock in stores" rant...can I add just one word. I believe it's self explanatory:

Heelies

I don't know why any adult would allow their child to own these, let alone roll up and down the aisles at Target with them. Even my kids roll their eyes whenever we see this. Crazy.
I saw a kid in those at Macy's in Flatiron Crossing Mall this past weekend. How stupid! Kids wear those to the dr's office where I work, too. Believe me, we have no room to spare there, and lots of sharp corners to bump into.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
When I worked in Burger King, there were parents who'd bring kids wearing heelies in sometimes. Burger King's floors are *concrete* tile. You have to expect a certain amount of stupidity from the kids. Most of them don't know any better. The part of their brains that measures potential consequences to their actions hasn't developed fully yet. But the parents who allow them to roll around in those things during a fast food lunch rush?

What is it, in THEIR brain function, gives them permission to impose danger on everyone else, and put their own childrens' bones at risk like that? What brand of stupid did they buy on their way to Burger King that morning? Or do they practice this at home and believe that it's a good idea?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM

208 posts, read 270,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I saw a kid in those at Macy's in Flatiron Crossing Mall this past weekend. How stupid! Kids wear those to the dr's office where I work, too. Believe me, we have no room to spare there, and lots of sharp corners to bump into.
Why do parents take children wearing Heelies to the doctor? That would sort of indicate they're fine.

Unless it's a pre-emptive strike.

"How can I help Bobby today?"
"He's about to break his wrist trying to break a fall.........we just need to watch for a moment...."

(regular check-up reasons I can only guess?)

Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
Why do parents take children wearing Heelies to the doctor? That would sort of indicate they're fine.

Unless it's a pre-emptive strike.

"How can I help Bobby today?"
"He's about to break his wrist trying to break a fall.........we just need to watch for a moment...."

(regular check-up reasons I can only guess?)
Funny.

A lot of kids come in for well checks, or for colds, strep, stuff that doesn't make them super ill. Some come with sibs. I have told kids that are climbing all over the equipment that it would be pretty embarassing to have to send them to the ER from the dr's office if they fall.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:53 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i am VERY aware of what my son does in stores. that unfortunately doesnt mean i can control everything he does. i give the speach every single time we get to a place...he is to stay with me, walk next to me or hold my hand. no running and no getting away from me. it doesnt always work and i almost always stop my shopping, take him by the hand and explain again what he is doing is not what i asked...
shopping takes double time with him! but i love him and i wont let him disturb anyone--for his own protection.. i almost always get someone telling me "he is fine" "he is not bothering me " etc...
yesterday he acted this way in the post office after i had specifically asked numerous times for him to stand next to me etc. guess what his answer was? "but the other kids were running mommy--so it's ok"
of course their mother didnt even give them a second glance!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Funny.

A lot of kids come in for well checks, or for colds, strep, stuff that doesn't make them super ill. Some come with sibs. I have told kids that are climbing all over the equipment that it would be pretty embarassing to have to send them to the ER from the dr's office if they fall.
When I was working at a Family Practice office a little boy came in for a cold. Older brother would not stop climbing all over everything (even after the doctor asked him to sit still) and ended up leaving with 4 sutures in his head!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:36 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,867 times
Wild kids in the store and parents that don't care DRIVE ME NUTS! During the Summer I was shopping at Justice for a gift for my niece. Two brothers were running all over that store like wild indians! They ran past me laughing & knocked my purchases right out of my hand - so I yelled at them! Just a loud, firm "Hey! Stop that!" My kids were so embarassed. The wild kids just looked at me then continued running, and their mother did nothing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting