Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times

Advertisements

To avoid all of these problems, just place your baby in the exact center of a completely empty unfinished room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 03:37 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I took the whole front side off of my crib and pushed it up against the bed. I thought it worked way better for me like that! No bending required! And we got more use out of it like that than when it was set up the regular way. But we are co-sleepers.
Okay....it looks cool, but I have to be honest with you. I was a busy, busy mom. When I put my little ones in their cribs...I meant it. I put them in a real crib and I did it ONCE. There was no going back and putting them in again, and again, and again, and DAMN IT! stay in that BED!! No. I gave them kisses and hugs, said "Mommy loves you honey, have a good nap!" Then I walked away....once. LOL I'm not judging anyone's parenting here, just saying that not only did I not have TIME for repeat bed placements, but I didn't have the patience.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:30 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I think we should all stockpile killer cribs and regular lightbulbs. Maybe we'll be rich someday.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think we should all stockpile killer cribs and regular lightbulbs. Maybe we'll be rich someday.
Yes, I completely agree! They'll be selling them as baby jails and miniature heating elements which ALSO produce LIGHT! What a concept! Miniature, incandescent heat lamps..oh the CONCEPT! LOL

Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
For the latter....

I have enough to last until I'm 116.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:57 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
For the latter....

I have enough to last until I'm 116.
Can you save some for me? I absolutely abhor those fluorescent light bulbs. I'm very particular about lighting and I can totally tell those are fluorescent lights. You might as well hang a strip light up on the ceiling and call it ambiance. When you get to a certain age you practically need Cecil B DeMille to set up your living room for you, having lighting that looks like you walked into the restroom at Walmart does not help.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 12-21-2010 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: left a t off

Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Can you save some for me? I absolutely abhor those fluorescent light bulbs. I'm very particular about lighting and I can totally tell those are fluorescent lights. You might as well hang a strip light up on the ceiling and call it ambiance. When you get to a certain age you practically need Cecil B DeMille to set up your living room for you, having lighting that looks like you walked into the restroom at Walmart does not help.
That's funny. My husband is quite a bit younger than me, and doesn't understand my objection to fluorescent bulbs. I am all for reducing my carbon footprint, that is if I'm still able to see it.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Okay....it looks cool, but I have to be honest with you. I was a busy, busy mom. When I put my little ones in their cribs...I meant it. I put them in a real crib and I did it ONCE. There was no going back and putting them in again, and again, and again, and DAMN IT! stay in that BED!! No. I gave them kisses and hugs, said "Mommy loves you honey, have a good nap!" Then I walked away....once. LOL I'm not judging anyone's parenting here, just saying that not only did I not have TIME for repeat bed placements, but I didn't have the patience.
You are making some assumptions here, about repeat bed placements or whatever you are going on about. But did you miss the part where I said that we are co-sleepers? At this point we have completely taken down the crib and she just has a bed in there (she's a year and a half old now). She goes to sleep in the bed just fine, and doesn't get out by herself. When she wakes up in the middle of the night, she calls for me and I go in and sleep there with her the rest of the night. That is my preference to co-sleep, and a crib just makes that part a lot harder for me. But our going to sleep process is probably much the same as it is for most people.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:03 PM

196 posts, read 208,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I understand the danger in faulty drop side cribs and now they will be banned by June. But what about all the less than flexible people, either parents or grandparents, who will not be able to lift baby out. How is that being addressed?

I had a friend who broke her arm shortly after her child was born and she had to go thru all sorts of machinations to get her child out. The drop side was critical for her. And I myself was thankful I could get to my babies easier with the drop side cribs we had in the dark ages.

Any comments?
You can still buy a used one with a drop-side.
These "safety freaks" are just destroying the world.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
You are making some assumptions here, about repeat bed placements or whatever you are going on about. But did you miss the part where I said that we are co-sleepers? At this point we have completely taken down the crib and she just has a bed in there (she's a year and a half old now). She goes to sleep in the bed just fine, and doesn't get out by herself. When she wakes up in the middle of the night, she calls for me and I go in and sleep there with her the rest of the night. That is my preference to co-sleep, and a crib just makes that part a lot harder for me. But our going to sleep process is probably much the same as it is for most people.
Nope, I actually didn't miss the part about you being a co-sleeper. We were "occasional" co-sleepers. When I put my kids down for their naps during the day, or to bed in the evening, however, I did NOT lay down with them. It was not MY bed time, it was baby's bed time. It was mommy's QUIET time or it was mommy's "catch up on household chores or work in the garden time! MY whole point was that nap and bed time were not for me and I fully intended to lay the baby down and immediately leave the area ONCE.....period. You put up a photo of something that worked for YOU. I was simply stating that the setup wouldn't have worked for me. For my kids, a bed which was fully surrounded by bars, was the only acceptable bed option.

Last edited by beachmel; 12-21-2010 at 06:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting