Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times

Advertisements

It seems more to me that the OP (who is the girl, not the parent) is more focused on the fact that the clothing is sold for men than that it looks a certain way. I feel like the statement is more important than the appearance. Again, perhaps there is a compromise that doesn't have to mean one gets their way and the other doesnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know what...I was pretty 'tomboy' as a kid. I never wanted to wear anything except pants and shorts...I hated bows, etc. T shirt and jeans girl.

But I appreciated when we had a really formal occasion to go to. Formal is formal. It's like a costume you put on for the occasion. So all the 'feminine' stuff I had when I was a kid/teen was formal wear.
I agree with this. I was an extreme tomboy as a kid. Yet, I knew if we were going to certain places I was going to wear a dress.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Gender identity issues? Is this the Victorian era? I am a heterosexual, married woman. I used to dress all different kinds of ways as a teen. Sometimes, I would wear my dad's flannel shirt, jeans and a pair of boots - all topped off with makeup LOL. Other times I'd wear very flowy, dressy skirts and lots of jewelry. It has to do with a kid finding herself and experimenting.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 AM

As far as formal events? Meh. As long as the kid was clean and well groomed, there would be very little I'd disallow.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Sounds like your daughter might be gay or not. The best thing to do is just love her and accept her and keept the communication open. It's hard not to talk about her clothing choices, but for a teen if you attack the clothing you are attacking them in their minds. Just embrace her for the kind of girl she is.
Oh please.

Dressing in opposite gender clothing does NOT mean one is gay. Dear Lord. 2010 called...we want you to join us.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
I truly believe the OP is gay. Big deal!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I truly believe the OP is gay. Big deal!
Actually, it IS a big deal to believe that you can tell someone's sexuality or really, anything else, by the way they dress.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:56 PM

196 posts, read 208,618 times
I let my girls dress how they want. As long as they won't get arrested, they're free to dress themselves.

This thread is a reflection of the lack of parenting skills of so many parents. (Yeah just because you CAN have kids doesn't mean you're qualified.) If you overly-control your kids they WILL do the opposite as soon as your back is turned. You cannot IMPOSE your will on them, it just doesn't work.

My parents forced me to cut my hair short as a boy. I remember being 8 and wanting long hair, but I was not allowed to have it. I grew it long at the age of 18, and it's been long ever since then. In fact I'd rather starve than cut my hair. I had 10 years to think about it, and it shaped the entire rest of my life.. probably partly out of spite - I continue to wear my hair long, and I won't cut it for any reason ever.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
If your teenage daughter didn't like to wear dresses, skirts, or wear makeup and prefered to keep her hair short or buzzed and wear boys clothes, would you still force her to dress feminine?

And if the family were going out somewhere that required everyone to dress nice, would you object to her wearing something like this?:

http://www.newmanindia.com/images/about_pic.jpg (broken link)
Two words come to mind.

Chastity Bono

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM

26 posts, read 40,737 times
Quote:
Sounds like your daughter might be gay or not. The best thing to do is just love her and accept her and keept the communication open. It's hard not to talk about her clothing choices, but for a teen if you attack the clothing you are attacking them in their minds. Just embrace her for the kind of girl she is.
I am the daughter and I'm not a lesbian. I'm very attracted to men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting