Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:22 AM

613 posts, read 991,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My sons 4th grade class has the same responsive classroom rules, and they have some pretty whacky consequences too. There's a fine line between the teacher laying down the law and allowing the kids input on the rules. I think that although denying growing kids a snack is a bit off, the OP is blowing this way out of proportion. Because one does not agree with one thing a teacher does that in actuality has very minimal consequences does not make her a bad teacher. Pick your battles.
This is only one post, but there is also the bathroom issue, another issue I posted in another thread, another past issue which I did not post

Collectively, there is a problem. I don't know whether these have been problems in the past or if the teacher is having personal issues that are effecting her job performance. One thing that is clear to me is the teacher is floundering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
This is only one post, but there is also the bathroom issue, another issue I posted in another thread, another past issue which I did not post

Collectively, there is a problem. I don't know whether these have been problems in the past or if the teacher is having personal issues that are effecting her job performance. One thing that is clear to me is the teacher is floundering

She obviously is, and her principal's failure to address that is appalling.

Request an immediate transfer to another class for your son.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:33 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
Well, I'm not so sure that I would characterize this as "floundering" but rather as more of a difference of opinion. I think it's a common misconception that teachers must be perfect, that they can never make a mistake or try something in a classroom that turns out to not work so well. I think some people try to hold them to a higher standard than parents, and that seems a little hypocritical. We're all human. We all make mistakes. Every difference of opinion about what goes on in the classroom does not need to result in a demand for teacher retraining or censure, any more than a moment of bad parenting need result in a call to CPS or a brochure for parenting classes nailed to your front door.

Someone wise once said that we judge ourselves on our intentions, but we judge others on their actions. I agree that the snack thing was probably a mistake (I'm guessing the teacher knows that too), but I don't think it's worth raising a huge fuss. It might be better just to sit back and let things cool down.

I would pick my battles so that when the time comes one day in the future when you really need the attention of the administration, your complaints are given more weight.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:45 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,886 times
I think the teacher is telling the truth. I raised two boys, and the stories they came up with sometimes were pretty supicious. Parents get too easily riled these days, and the behaviour of the children reflects on this. You got to let the teacher have some leeway in how to handle situations. If everytime the parent has to get involved, the child will realize that if they can fudge the truth a bit, mom and dad will rush in and save their little tushes every time.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
I honestly want to thank everyone for their advice, especially the advice to pace myself! It definitely helps to vent here and get it out of my system. I believe I have to resign mself to the fact that my son has a very poor teacher this year. This is not just based on this incident btw.
I feel your pain. My son's fourth grade teacher was nasty. He still talks about her to this day. I should have insisted that he be moved to a different classroom. I just figured there are years children have bad teachers. In reality, we can trace back the early signs of his school/social anxiety to fourth grade. That's when he started to be sick so much that doctors were ordering MRIs looking for brain tumors. Since it's early in the year, definitely pace yourself, but help your son learn to cope with the emotional aspect of having a nasty teacher.

I hate teachers' unions. Too many bad teachers that can't be fired. That's why the principals seem to do nothing. Principals have very little control over their teachers. I've witnessed teachers who outright defied the principals--even when the principal put changes in writing. One principal was replaced because he was ineffective at reigning in the teachers. That's @ss backwards. So, definitely pace yourself because it's not likely anything will be accomplished unless an issue is bad enough to enrage a school board.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:51 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I feel your pain. My son's fourth grade teacher was nasty. He still talks about her to this day. I should have insisted that he be moved to a different classroom. I just figured there are years children have bad teachers. In reality, we can trace back the early signs of his school/social anxiety to fourth grade. That's when he started to be sick so much that doctors were ordering MRIs looking for brain tumors. Since it's early in the year, definitely pace yourself, but help your son learn to cope with the emotional aspect of having a nasty teacher.

I hate teachers' unions. Too many bad teachers that can't be fired. That's why the principals seem to do nothing. Principals have very little control over their teachers. I've witnessed teachers who outright defied the principals--even when the principal put changes in writing. One principal was replaced because he was ineffective at reigning in the teachers. That's @ss backwards. So, definitely pace yourself because it's not likely anything will be accomplished unless an issue is bad enough to enrage a school board.

My older son son had a horrible 4th grade teacher, in fact the only thing my son liked about her was that they did not do much work and they got to talk a lot! However, even with no teacher's union (charter school), they have not fired her.

To the OP, I would pace yourself as much as possible as others have said, and also trust your instincts.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:02 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I have had some pretty awful experiences with the public school system. When the OP started the original thread I knew it was going to be true. Why? Because there is too much significant detail. Kids are brutally honest. I do not believe children tell the truth all the time but you have to listen to the details. Letting a room full of children set the rules for the class is absurd. Is this Lord of the Flies?

I have two teachers in my family. Both have tenure and both has **** poor attitudes. Neither one went to college for education, they both pursued degrees in other areas, they chose teaching because it was a good fall back career. A year of certification classes and you are golden. Principals are not bosses which is a common misconception. It is an administrative position. They do have say on how the school is run but it is very much like a political position in some districts. The districts I am very familiar with, these individuals obtain these positions by their peers. That is why the principal will stick up for the teacher. How can you reprimand a teacher when that person helped you get your job? Of course this is not the case in all districts but I have knowledge about the ones I had the most experience with.

To the OP, unfortunately there is not much you can do. If you switch your child to another classroom the new teacher is going to weary because they do stick together. They might actually think their peers are idiots but teacher unions are strong. No one is going to out their union brother or sister. I come from a large union family and know how it is. Ride out the rest of the year because unfortunately this will not be the last idiot you have to deal with. It really is a shame because there are many well qualified teachers out there that get over shadowed by crap like this.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
I'd like to know why the principal even indulged you with a meeting when your son was never disciplined by the teacher???? Did you go up there stating you want to meet with the principal and teacher because of things that happened to other students??? What about the parents of the children who had their snacks taken?? And the one who was supposedly given a 1/2 bag of cheetos?

IMHO, I think you need to back off and save your "meetings" for important issues. Trust me, the principal and the teacher are looking at you in an entirely different light now --- busy body, nosy, etc.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:25 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,170 times
I don't know. I think what happens in the classroom, discipline-wise, affects all of the students and not only those who are punished. Taking children's snacks creates a questionable atmosphere. And quite frankly, as long as public schools are financed by property taxes, the principal should meet with parents to discuss anything parents want to discuss. Who cares how the teacher and principal see her? They should worry about how the OP sees them!

Old 12-19-2010, 04:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I don't know. I think what happens in the classroom, discipline-wise, affects all of the students and not only those who are punished. Taking children's snacks creates a questionable atmosphere. And quite frankly, as long as public schools are financed by property taxes, the principal should meet with parents to discuss anything parents want to discuss. Who cares how the teacher and principal see her? They should worry about how the OP sees them!
Couldn't rep you.

Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting