Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Mrs. X: Many good points in your post. However, I believe the argument has gone beyond the original question about contractions specifically.
I know it has gone beyond the original question of contractions specifically but still what is the BIG DEAL? Don't FB if you don't want to know or be involved in other people's lives in that way. FB is just another form of communication and the way I am on FB is the way I would speak to them in person.

FB has not made me into a self centered narciss as you may believe. I am still the same person. It is not "look at me" or let me write "I took a poo" for shock value. Seriously, if FB bothers you that bad then don't do it but for God's sake let the rest of the world enjoy themselves. Don't rain on everybody elses parade because you don't like FB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I know it has gone beyond the original question of contractions specifically but still what is the BIG DEAL? Don't FB if you don't want to know or be involved in other people's lives in that way. FB is just another form of communication and the way I am on FB is the way I would speak to them in person.

FB has not made me into a self centered narciss as you may believe. I am still the same person. It is not "look at me" or let me write "I took a poo" for shock value. Seriously, if FB bothers you that bad then don't do it but for God's sake let the rest of the world enjoy themselves. Don't rain on everybody elses parade because you don't like FB.
That's right MrsX. For the love of frivolous posting, why do all y'all have to take everything so seriously? Does everything really need to have a point?

Although you might need to speak to my husband regarding immature toilet humor updates. One of his friends (a woman, at that) actually sent him a book made out of recycled elephant poo after reading one of his status updates.

Oh well. You can't have everything, where would you put it?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 AM

563 posts, read 1,499,078 times
I was induced and we brought a laptop with us and were keeping everyone up to date on Facebook. It was pretty ridiculous. My dad was at work and said they had 3 computers where they were hitting refresh just waiting for us to say "She's here!" It was pretty exciting and cool.
I know, we're lame.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:

I didn't say FB made you into a "self-centered narciss"....it just is a too easy platform for those who may already be self-centered.

And you are exaggerating as well. I am not "raining on everybody else's parade"....it's not like I am launching a worldwide campaign to eliminate and outlaw FB.

But with the OP, a question of public decency arose. IMHO standards of public decency are declining rapidly with the correlating rise of social media. IMHO this is not a desirable outcome.

And to those of you who still think FB is private because you have lists and blocks and whatnot, stop kidding yourselves.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I didn't say FB made you into a "self-centered narciss"....it just is a too easy platform for those who may already be self-centered.

And you are exaggerating as well. I am not "raining on everybody else's parade"....it's not like I am launching a worldwide campaign to eliminate and outlaw FB.

But with the OP, a question of public decency arose. IMHO standards of public decency are declining rapidly with the correlating rise of social media. IMHO this is not a desirable outcome.

And to those of you who still think FB is private because you have lists and blocks and whatnot, stop kidding yourselves.
Exaggerating? I think you need to look back and read through your posts because it seems your the one that believes this world has gone down the toilet because people choose to update their status however they wish.

We live in a country where free speech is available and regardless whether it is decent to you or not, I am entitled to write whatever the heck I like in my status and so are the rest of the members of the FB population. Unless your in China...

FB didn't cause or stimulate the decline of public decency and nor do I see it correlating. Public decency went out the window long before MySpace and FB came onto the circuit.

People who are on FB have a choice and they can choose to display their business out there or they can choose to change their privacy settings, remove tags and whatnots. Yes not everything is fool proof but neither is your handbag sitting on your lap while you ride a subway train for a potential purse snatcher to snatch. Just because its on your lap doesn't make it safe.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,378 times
Quote:

I love facebook, but I definitely agree with some of your points. I think that it and twitter bring out some of those pre-existing self-centered tendencies. I also agree that the privacy settings don't really assure privacy, and that's why I'm always pretty careful about what I post. I never post anything racy, too adult, or political (especially political). I don't think contractions are TMI as far as decency goes, but just today, I saw a post that make me wonder what in the world my friend was thinking. I didn't really want to know about her yeast infection, but I found out anyway. It can definitely get vulgar.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I love facebook, but I definitely agree with some of your points. I think that it and twitter bring out some of those pre-existing self-centered tendencies. I also agree that the privacy settings don't really assure privacy, and that's why I'm always pretty careful about what I post. I never post anything racy, too adult, or political (especially political). I don't think contractions are TMI as far as decency goes, but just today, I saw a post that make me wonder what in the world my friend was thinking. I didn't really want to know about her yeast infection, but I found out anyway. It can definitely get vulgar.
Now thats GROSS! Calgirlinnc officially has my permission to hunt said friend of Lucygirl and teach her a few things about etiquette and decency.

Also please remember ladies, that this is a forum and everything is open to debate. Don't take it so personal.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Now thats GROSS! Calgirlinnc officially has my permission to hunt said friend of Lucygirl and teach her a few things about etiquette and decency.
Or take her to the drugstore and buy her something soothing.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Or take her to the drugstore and buy her something soothing.
LMAO!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM

613 posts, read 991,624 times
I don't like FB either. If people TRULY limited the information they put forth to their closest friends and family, maybe. But it's amazing the personal information people share on their walls with their so-called 'friends'.

Awhile back, an FB 'friend' of my husband had a very serious issue and needed some risky surgery. If I was in that situation I would only discuss it with my very closest friends and family. Not this person. This person posted everything on their wall, from the countdown to the surgery, to updates afterward, INCLUDING pictures, to daily updates on how they were feeling, to further complications, etc.

WHY? Why do 'friends' you haven't seen in 20 years (and probably haven't thought about in almost as long), suddenly need to be a part of something so personal? What are they looking for? The people who TRULY care will be on the phone with you every day to see how you are feeling. Does every person in your friends list need to know that you are feeling great one day, then tired the next?

I think FB promotes some serious attention-seeking behavior.

Last edited by wsop; 12-21-2010 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting