Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
I don't like FB either. If people TRULY limited the information they put forth to their closest friends and family, maybe. But it's amazing the personal information people share on their walls with their so-called 'friends'.

Awhile back, an FB 'friend' of my husband had a very serious issue and needed some risky surgery. If I was in that situation I would only discuss it with my very closest friends and family. Not this person. This person posted everything on their wall, from the countdown to the surgery, to updates afterward, INCLUDING pictures, to daily updates on how they were feeling, to further complications, etc.

WHY? Why do 'friends' you haven't seen in 20 years (and probably haven't thought about in almost as long), suddenly need to be a part of something so personal? What are they looking for? The people who TRULY care will be on the phone with you every day to see how you are feeling. Does every person in your friends list need to know that you are feeling great one day, then tired the next?

I think FB promotes some serious attention-seeking behavior.
Read the articles on Zuckerberg. The man has NO sense that anyone wants privacy. After reading this article, I really think he just doesn't get the idea of privacy though he gives it lip service to an extent. I don't have a facebook account and I never will unless he makes the privacy settings *much* better and easier to access (and I am a geek, so I probably could manage them).

Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg named Time’s “Person of Year” » peoplesworld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,078 times
I have 72 friends and a surprising amount of them are relatives. The rest are either Best friends, good friends, old friends, and a few are people I could very well stand to delete. I like Facebook because it allows me to keep in touch with these people. In fact, I remember the reason I signed up was because one of my cousins uses it and I never see or talk to her.
Sometimes I look at someones profile and I see they have 400+ friends, and I'm just like... Really? You REALLY have that many friends? I can't imagine.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:33 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
I have 72 friends and a surprising amount of them are relatives. The rest are either Best friends, good friends, old friends, and a few are people I could very well stand to delete. I like Facebook because it allows me to keep in touch with these people. In fact, I remember the reason I signed up was because one of my cousins uses it and I never see or talk to her.
Sometimes I look at someones profile and I see they have 400+ friends, and I'm just like... Really? You REALLY have that many friends? I can't imagine.
400 isn't so bad - my sister has 1044! Yikes! I have 191 and I feel like that's a lot!

Old 12-21-2010, 03:55 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
Sometimes when you see alot of friends, it's gaming friends. Some of the games are more fun w/ more friends to gift you. Gaming friends can be put in a separate file where they can't see your info or pics or even post on your wall. You can also take them off of your news feed if you don't want to read updates about them.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
400 isn't so bad - my sister has 1044! Yikes! I have 191 and I feel like that's a lot!
I have 1133 and I actually know personally about 1100 of them the rest are people i know not a personally.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:33 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
It wouldn't bother me if somebody did that I suppose it would be odd if getting fuc** was in their status though....in the literal sense

Old 11-07-2011, 01:23 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,281 times
I guess what kind of creeps me out is, I am one of those people who has a lot of Facebook friends, yes even people I went to grade school with who I haven't seen in years, the last time I saw them was, say, third grade on the school playground, and seeing a Facebook status that says, "I'm having contractions" or "I've been producing excessive breast milk lately" for example, is just a little weird to me. But to each their own...

Perhaps you've actually have to have experienced pregnancy and motherhood to "get it".

Old 11-07-2011, 02:57 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,045 times
I was so bored in labor I would've gotten on fb if we had fb back then-Heck, with my last one, I went into labor early (4 months early) and was in the hospital more than I like to remember-It would've been great to get online on fb and chat with friends because I was bored to death in the hospital. It would've had nothing to do with priorities or too personal of a subject matter, I was bored. If it bothers you that someone puts "having contractions" on fb, block or defriend them.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Which is more inane: What you put in Facebook, or what you think of what people put in Facebook?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Interesting, at what point is it really, TMI, Too Much Information? My kids and I had a talk about this not to long ago, about boundaries, and information to put online. We agreed that some people have no boundaries, and tell way too much.

I think I will change my status..."Doing laundry".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting