Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,494,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post

To the others: Wow! I have another snow day. Any one have any healthy recipes they would be willing to share? Looking for something to whip up for lunch or dinner
I am so.over.the.snow.
I mean I now it is winter & it snows. Get it. It has just not stopped this yr since the beginning of Dec & we still have a good 2 months to go. I just want to see some green & sun for maybe 5/10 mins. Is that asking too much?

I made this last night for dinner. Oh so good. You can substitute any pasta just don't put in the pasta until the end. It's a copycat recipe from Olive Garden.

You can 1/2 the recipe for what I pasted here is a HUGE portion. It served my family last night, what we will have tonight, & I froze half of it!!!

Crock Pot Pasta e Fagioli
Ingredients:
2 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped

3 carrots, chopped

4 stalks celery, chopped

2 (28-oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 (16-oz.) red kidney beans, drained

1 (16-oz.) white kidney beans, drained

3 (10-oz.) beef stock

3 tsp. oregano

2 tsp. pepper

5 tsp. parsley

1 tsp. Tabasco sauce

1 20-oz. jar spaghetti sauce

8 oz. cheese tortellini (frozen is fine)

Directions:
Brown ground beef in a skillet.
Add to a large crock pot with everything except the tortellini. Cook in a crock pot on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
During the last 30 minutes on high or 1 hour on low, add pasta (adding it sooner will cause pasta to get mushy). Cook until pasta is cooked.

[allrecipes.com is awesome! you can sign up for a daily or weekly email based on your food preferences.]

Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I am so.over.the.snow.
I mean I now it is winter & it snows. Get it. It has just not stopped this yr since the beginning of Dec & we still have a good 2 months to go. I just want to see some green & sun for maybe 5/10 mins. Is that asking too much?
Come join us in Colorado then! We don't seem to be getting any (well, down on the Front Range at least).

Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I love homemade tomato soup too - ok again with the cream soups....I don't eat them too often but I do love them....
You must must must make Giada DeLaurentis's Quick & Spicy Tomato Soup. If you don't like spicey, you can just leave out the red pepper flakes.

If anything, this is a great soup base. I add all sorts of meat/poultry leftovers to it.

I swear it takes me all of 15 mins to make. I could live off of it in the winter.

Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network

Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Come join us in Colorado then! We don't seem to be getting any (well, down on the Front Range at least).
Do I have to bring the kids?
I think like all moms, it is more the fact we are starting to get cabin fever. It is ok when they can go out & play for a little bit, but it's been so cold on top ot it & just finally got warm enough to start snowing again...
I got the 5yo & 3yo at each other while the 6mo is crying.
Mommy needs a time out

Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I got the 5yo & 3yo at each other while the 6mo is crying.
Oh my, that does sound miserable!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,703,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I refuse to give up the phone that's not necessary.
I just need to make a couple more hundred a month and I would be fine.

And if I give up the phone I can't talk with my friends, I can't communicate with people while I am out, I can't get a hold of anyone if I needed to. That's crazy talk to give up my phone....lol...pause for irony...

I'm not making $10/hr. I make 7.50 at the gas station job and 8 at BBB, but I get health insurance from the gas station job and I have A LOT of room for advancement and promotions and will make more at the gas station job once I hit assistant manager.

If I was making $10, I would not be here whining....I'd be moving into my own apartment right about now, taking a bubble bath or something.

I said IF I made $10/hr the jobs would be worth it.
Right now they aren't worth it.

Its PHYSICALLY taking a toll on me. I am so sleep deprived and its making me sick, I have had a headache everyday, my nauseous and light headed all the time, I keep almost blacking out.

This is no way to live.

And Hopes, I would never do that to BBB, I want to go back one day if I ever need to and I really don't want to even leave, it makes me really sad that I won't get to see those people on a daily basis anymore if I did give notice.

No,I make 8 at bbb and 7.50 at my other job and at 15 and 40 hours respectively after taxes it is not much.

And its not the stress of retail its the stress of not having time to allow my body to recuperate from the day, like tonight I closed alone at the gas station job and then got home at about 11:40 and its now 12:15 and I am winding down to be awake at 7:45am, my body does not function very well on that little sleep, I can't make it function, I was going on energy drinks and started peeing neon yellow from all the B vitamins in it....ANNNND my kidneys have been hurting, I have been peeing EVERY hour and I just want to work 3-11ish We-Su and that be it, maybe We-Mo and have tuesday off, I'd even be fine with that...
You know, back on that Karma stuff we talk about occasionally? You complain that you're too tired, yet you get paid to pretty much stand around all day visiting with people, doing a bit of actual "physical labor" here and there. (Perspective: you're NOT paying a daycare bill while you're at work)..Keep complaining txt that you're too tired...that you're sick of working all the time...you'll find yourself with plenty of "time off". Of course, that extended time off really sucks when you have absolutely no money at all. Keep complaining about not making enough money...and won't it be ironic to end up on the street...kicked out of your mom's house? You are living at HOME...much of what you THINK you need money for, you don't NEED it for. You are spending money on what you WANT to spend your money on....not what you NEED to spend it on!

Keep complaining txt...you're going to find yourself in a situation where you finally DO have something to complain about. It's all a matter of something called "perspective"! As other posters have said, it is difficult to have any sympathy for you at all. Most of us have worked at low paying jobs....WHILE having to support families, shopping at thrift stores for most of our needs, hitting garage sales whenever we had a few dollars to do so. Here's the comical part! We were so glad to have enough money to GO to the thrift stores and garage sales!! We were so happy to have gas money to drive us there...or bus fares! You really don't realize how many of us out here have learned to live RICHLY on what you're making...AND been truly grateful for what we had....because those times were GOOD times. Sometimes, really thinking about "what ifs", can make a huge difference.

Perspective really does change everything. Do you whine because you can't go "get" something to eat? Or do you pat yourself on the back because you spent your money on food to make at home? Do you whine because you have to figure out what you're making for dinner....or are you thankful that you have a CHOICE of what you're going to have for dinner? Some people don't have a choice...

Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times
I have significantly cut out energy drinks and soda.
I really only drink pepsi to take the advil to get rid of migraines or headaches.

My cell phone is not my top priority but its the ONLY phone I have, without it I wouldn't have a phone at all. No one would ever be able to reach me. I am not even paying for it right now and won't till my line is separated.

Right now my goal is to save up as much money as possible and pay the bills I do have and then keep working on saving up money.

I may also be letting BBB go because I can then work more at the gas station. My store manager asked me in my interview if I was interested in being assistant manager and if I get that position I will be making more than BBB and still have health benefits. BBB I won't be working up the ranks anytime soon, there's very little upper position turn over at BBB and MANY other people in line for promotion.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
You know, back on that Karma stuff we talk about occasionally? You complain that you're too tired, yet you get paid to pretty much stand around all day visiting with people, doing a bit of actual "physical labor" here and there. (Perspective: you're NOT paying a daycare bill while you're at work)..Keep complaining txt that you're too tired...that you're sick of working all the time...you'll find yourself with plenty of "time off". Of course, that extended time off really sucks when you have absolutely no money at all. Keep complaining about not making enough money...and won't it be ironic to end up on the street...kicked out of your mom's house? You are living at HOME...much of what you THINK you need money for, you don't NEED it for. You are spending money on what you WANT to spend your money on....not what you NEED to spend it on!

Keep complaining txt...you're going to find yourself in a situation where you finally DO have something to complain about. It's all a matter of something called "perspective"! As other posters have said, it is difficult to have any sympathy for you at all. Most of us have worked at low paying jobs....WHILE having to support families, shopping at thrift stores for most of our needs, hitting garage sales whenever we had a few dollars to do so. You really don't realize how many of us out here have learned to live RICHLY on what you're making...AND been truly grateful for what we had....because those times were GOOD times. Sometimes, really thinking about "what ifs", can make a huge difference.
I have only been paying my car payment, car insurance, gas, food and stuff like shampoo and things like that. After my cat stuff the majority of my paycheck is gone for the remainder of the two weeks until I get paid again.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,703,411 times
Quote:
I have only been paying my car payment, car insurance, gas, food and stuff like shampoo and things like that. After my cat stuff the majority of my paycheck is gone for the remainder of the two weeks until I get paid again.
Maybe you don't understand what I'm saying...or may you're just not listening. Try be exceedingly grateful txt...grateful that you have a car to make payments on....thankful that you have a job that pays for those things! If you do NOT learn to be grateful and thankful, you WILL find yourself without....and wishing...oh wishing with all of your heart, that you HAD the money to pay for those things. Instead of dissing on your mother because she's not everything you WANT her to be, be flat on your face grateful....worshipping her because you aren't having to pay for rent and utilities somewhere. The hours you're working, as hard as that seems, means nothing to most of us. We've worked those hours and MORE, all while desperately trying to be the best mommies and wives we can be...working all those hours AND having to be the one cleaning the house, keeping up the yard, running kids here and there, doing our studying to better ourselves...Honey, you just honestly do not comprehend how grateful you should be...and I worry, I really do, because when people get that kind of heart, the bottom generally drops out of their lives. Sometimes that's what it takes to snap someone into realizing just how grateful they should have been for what they had.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
My cell phone is not my top priority but its the ONLY phone I have, without it I wouldn't have a phone at all. No one would ever be able to reach me. I am not even paying for it right now and won't till my line is separated.
The energy drinks are raising your blood pressure and giving you the headaches and migraines.

Phone. Again. The cheapest plan you can get. That's all you need. You do not need to chat aimlessly with friends, download videos and play games. Barack Obama does not have you on stand-by in case he needs advice on Iraq.

Fill out the application yet? Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick Tock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.