Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times

Advertisements

You can get a student loan, but I'd prefer not to. I already have enough of those. Yeah, I won't be able to get grants for it because it's what our family is expected to contribute. The state school right here isn't a bad one, but the private school I'm looking at isn't bad, either. I'll just have to see how financial aid works out for both of them.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
But the things is, you don't know how to budget. Knowing how to live within one's means is the biggest part of budgeting. If you are making $7.50 at one job and $8.00/hour at the other and working 60 hours per week you should be bringing home somewhere around $1500/month after taxes. Correct?

$1360 if I am not mistaken on taxes.

How much are you spending monthly on food including shampoo, soap, etc.
Not very much, maybe $10 for shampoo, conditioner, razors and body wash.

How much is your car payment? Its $250 to my grandmother each month.
How much is your car insurance? Its $131.83
How much do you spend on auto insurance? See above?
How much do you plan to spend on your phone? My phone should be no more than $60 a month and I might be switching phones. I might be switching to the Samsung Alias or the Samsung Zeal, same phone just the Zeal is newer.
Clothing? I don't need new clothing, at least not until spring and even then it would be NICE to have some new clothes that fit me but I guess I can just wear whatever I have.
Entertainment? What entertainment....

Considering you don't pay any rent or utilities, I have no idea why you can't make it on your current income. I also don't think you understand the difference between wants and needs. Having a new car was a want, not a need. Having a cell phone plan with all of the bells and whistles is also a want, not a need.
I don't think you guys are getting why I want more money.
I don't want to be at my mom's house but with what I currently make I can't move out on my own.
I can't make it on what I make if I was out of the house that's what frustrates me, I CAN make it living at home but how successful is that being 21 nearly 22 and at home still, that's not successful. I feel like a failure because I don't make it on my own with the money I make.

$350 to $400 rent (Sharing with two roommates)
$131 car insurance
$250 car payment
$50 cell phone
$100 gas
$150 groceries

THAT right there is already $1,031. That's not including water and other utilities, and making maybe $1,360, I think it'll be lower than that because I don't accurately know how much they take out for taxes so I just did 20% of my income. So if you figure another 150 for water and other utilities that leaves me with 1,181 that I am spending a month leaving me with 150 left over each month....I KNOW I left SOMETHING out of that list that will just eat the rest of that money.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
In that case. I DESERVE million a year. I need an 2000sq ft apartment (thats GIANT by NY standards) and I need to get a blow out once a week. I need them.

Also. If you are sure you have a kidney infection, I would get your but to the ER before you go into septic shock. But you know that already don't you.
I love the sarcasm....

Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Welcome to the real world txt. You think you are the only one having to live on a budget and within their own means. There are plenty of 21yr olds, 22yr olds and much old older, making less than you who have managed to live on their own (or with roomies) and who aren't complaining about it. Hell, you should be lucky that you don't have health insurance on there. (As far as the phone, you already said you don't pay that, someone else does)

250 is a VERY low car payment as is the 131 for car insurance, so STOP COMPLAINING ALREADY!!! $150 on groceries?! Once again you are eating crap and wonder why you are having health issues. You have no right to complain. You are not even paying rent, water, electricity, gas, cable, internet, ect. You have a FREE roof over your head, far more than what others in your same position have.

Get off your butt, off the computer, and start looking for a better job or get your butt into college if you want to start making better money. You shouldn't feel like a failure because of the money you make. Everyone has to start somewhere. It is how you HANDLE it and what you are going to do about it, which up to this point has been nothing but *itch and moan. If you didn't get the memo yet, we here are sick of your non-stop complaining.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I can't make it on what I make if I was out of the house that's what frustrates me, I CAN make it living at home but how successful is that being 21 nearly 22 and at home still, that's not successful. I feel like a failure because I don't make it on my own with the money I make.
That's because you didn't go to college or trade school after you graduated. You didn't even work when you first started posting here. You can't expect to support yourself the moment you decide you want to do it. You need to get education or training, or you need to work for a few years in an entry level job and wait for raises and promotions. There's no fast way to money.

Quit comparing yourself to other young adults your age. At 22, anyone who went to college is graduating. They're four years ahead of you. You have to compare yourself to 18 year olds to get a reasonable comparison to where you're at right now. You'll eventually catch up to the people who went to college after graduating high school---if you apply yourself.

Seriously, if you want out of your mother's house, you should apply for college and go live on campus in a dorm. Don't tell me that you can't afford college. You can. You'll qualify for grants and you can get student loans for whatever isn't covered. THAT is the only way you can get out of your mother's house by September. You have to act quickly. You've already missed many colleges' application deadlines for starting Fall 2011. But there are many colleges that have rolling admissions. If you start now, you may be able to begin school in the Fall and you'll definitely be able to start next January.

You have to plan for a future to become successful. You can't act impulsively. You can't just suddenly decide to enroll somewhere and be accepted for that moment.

Lisdol already provided you with the links to apply to the police academy. All you have to do is fill out the form (ONLINE!) and call to schedule an interview. Why haven't you done that yet?

Here's the link again:

Apply to the Law Enforcement Academy at Arapahoe Community College in Colorado, near Denver | Arapahoe Community College

Just click on it and do it NOW!

You're not too far behind most people who want to become police officers. You have to be 21 when you graduate. You're 21 now. If you really want to be a police officer, FILL OUT THE APPLICATION NOW!

I know you can't live at the Community College. If you really want out of your mother's house, find a college with dorms that has a criminal justice program. But you'll need to act fast----immediately---if you want a chance of starting in September. You may have to wait until January if you want to go to college where there are dorms. Dragging your feet isn't going to get you into a program any sooner.

Quote:
My phone should be no more than $60 a month and I might be switching phones. I might be switching to the Samsung Alias or the Samsung Zeal, same phone just the Zeal is newer.
WHY would you waste money on ANOTHER phone?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
I don't think you guys are getting why I want more money.
I don't want to be at my mom's house but with what I currently make I can't move out on my own.

$350 to $400 rent (Sharing with two roommates)
$131 car insurance
$250 car payment
$50 cell phone
$100 gas
$150 groceries

THAT right there is already $1,031. That's not including water and other utilities, and making maybe $1,360, I think it'll be lower than that because I don't accurately know how much they take out for taxes so I just did 20% of my income. So if you figure another 150 for water and other utilities that leaves me with 1,181 that I am spending a month leaving me with 150 left over each month....I KNOW I left SOMETHING out of that list that will just eat the rest of that money.....

I love the sarcasm....

hold on txt....didn't a few weeks ago you say that you had all those bills covered and would have 500 a month to sock away?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's because you didn't go to college or trade school after you graduated. You didn't even work when you first started posting here. You can't expect to support yourself the moment you decide you want to do it. You need to get education or training, or you need to work for a few years in an entry level job and wait for raises and promotions. There's no fast way to money.

Quit comparing yourself to other young adults your age. At 22, anyone who went to college is graduating. They're four years ahead of you. You have to compare yourself to 18 year olds to get a reasonable comparison to where you're at right now. You'll eventually catch up to the people who went to college after graduating high school---if you apply yourself.

Seriously, if you want out of your mother's house, you should apply for college and go live on campus in a dorm. Don't tell me that you can't afford college. You can. You'll qualify for grants and you can get student loans for whatever isn't covered. THAT is the only way you can get out of your mother's house by September. You have to act quickly. You've already missed many colleges' application deadlines for starting Fall 2011. But there are many colleges that have rolling admissions. If you start now, you may be able to begin school in the Fall and you'll definitely be able to start next January.

You have to plan for a future to become successful. You can't act impulsively. You can't just suddenly decide to enroll somewhere and be accepted for that moment.

Lisdol already provided you with the links to apply to the police academy. All you have to do is fill out the form (ONLINE!) and call to schedule an interview. Why haven't you done that yet?

Here's the link again:

Apply to the Law Enforcement Academy at Arapahoe Community College in Colorado, near Denver | Arapahoe Community College

Just click on it and do it NOW!

You're not too far behind most people who want to become police officers. You have to be 21 when you graduate. You're 21 now. If you really want to be a police officer, FILL OUT THE APPLICATION NOW!

I know you can't live at the Community College. If you really want out of your mother's house, find a college with dorms that has a criminal justice program. But you'll need to act fast----immediately---if you want a chance of starting in September. You may have to wait until January if you want to go to college where there are dorms. Dragging your feet isn't going to get you into a program any sooner.

WHY would you waste money on ANOTHER phone?

And we see hopes patience finally beginning to be worn thin.......

Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 AM

[quote=txtqueen;17597285]

Quote:
Its PHYSICALLY taking a toll on me. I am so sleep deprived and its making me sick, I have had a headache everyday, my nauseous and light headed all the time, I keep almost blacking out.
Imagine that? Seems like everyone told you this weeks ago .

Quote:
This is no way to live.

And Hopes, I would never do that to BBB, I want to go back one day if I ever need to and I really don't want to even leave, it makes me really sad that I won't get to see those people on a daily basis anymore if I did give notice.

No,I make 8 at bbb and 7.50 at my other job and at 15 and 40 hours respectively after taxes it is not much.

And its not the stress of retail its the stress of not having time to allow my body to recuperate from the day, like tonight I closed alone at the gas station job and then got home at about 11:40 and its now 12:15 and I am winding down to be awake at 7:45am, my body does not function very well on that little sleep, I can't make it function, I was going on energy drinks and started peeing neon yellow from all the B vitamins in it....ANNNND my kidneys have been hurting, I have been peeing EVERY hour and I just want to work 3-11ish We-Su and that be it, maybe We-Mo and have tuesday off, I'd even be fine with that...

txt you do realize that once you are in the police academy you will not have time to work much more than a part time job right? So why are you so hell bent on moving out when you won't be able to sustain it?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I got the application awhile back but I need a new one for this year. I will be calling and asking for that soon.
And I do want to be a cop.

Ok listen here, I am just tired of working two jobs, running myself into the ground and not getting paid anything.
If I am working this hard and yes I am working hard, I was at BBB this morning from 9-12:30 and have to be at my other job by 3 today and I work till 11pm, I do this till Friday. This should be paying off so much more than it is. I should be making so much more money than I am making this is absolutely ridiculous that I don't have any more money than I do that this isn't paying off any more than it is.

I have worked EVERY SINGLE DAY for like the past two weeks, I don't get much sleep. Tonight I have to be at my new job till a little after 11pm and then go home sleep and be back at BBB at 9am.

If I had one day off, if I was making like $10/hr at each job, if it was paying off and benefiting me and not draining me and making me miserable then it would be worth it.
I told you txt to get a job waiting tables...at your age and skill set this is the best way to sock away some good money. I would then see about selling that car and getting something less expensive that you have no payment on and lower insurance....take the bus until you can afford one. List out all your monthly expenses you have living in your moms house now...and we can see how to trim some of them for you .

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
txt you do realize that once you are in the police academy you will not have time to work much more than a part time job right? So why are you so hell bent on moving out when you won't be able to sustain it?
Good point. She can't move out of her mother's house if she wants to be a police officer. There's no way she can support herself while she's doing to the police academy. And she has to go to the police academy because that's her only realistic hope of supporting herself within the next few years.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I told you txt to get a job waiting tables...at your age and skill set this is the best way to sock away some good money. I would then see about selling that car and getting something less expensive that you have no payment on and lower insurance....take the bus until you can afford one. List out all your monthly expenses you have living in your moms house now...and we can see how to trim some of them for you .
She can't sell the car. Grandma bought it brand new just a few months ago. With the depreciation of just driving it off the lot, she will be upside down on it already. She had to have a brand new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting