Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's because you didn't go to college or trade school after you graduated. You didn't even work when you first started posting here. You can't expect to support yourself the moment you decide you want to do it. You need to get education or training, or you need to work for a few years in an entry level job and wait for raises and promotions. There's no fast way to money.

Quit comparing yourself to other young adults your age. At 22, anyone who went to college is graduating. They're four years ahead of you. You have to compare yourself to 18 year olds to get a reasonable comparison to where you're at right now. You'll eventually catch up to the people who went to college after graduating high school---if you apply yourself.

Seriously, if you want out of your mother's house, you should apply for college and go live on campus in a dorm. Don't tell me that you can't afford college. You can. You'll qualify for grants and you can get student loans for whatever isn't covered. THAT is the only way you can get out of your mother's house by September. You have to act quickly. You've already missed many colleges' application deadlines for starting Fall 2011. But there are many colleges that have rolling admissions. If you start now, you may be able to begin school in the Fall and you'll definitely be able to start next January.

You have to plan for a future to become successful. You can't act impulsively. You can't just suddenly decide to enroll somewhere and be accepted for that moment.

Lisdol already provided you with the links to apply to the police academy. All you have to do is fill out the form (ONLINE!) and call to schedule an interview. Why haven't you done that yet?

Here's the link again:

Apply to the Law Enforcement Academy at Arapahoe Community College in Colorado, near Denver | Arapahoe Community College

Just click on it and do it NOW!

You're not too far behind most people who want to become police officers. You have to be 21 when you graduate. You're 21 now. If you really want to be a police officer, FILL OUT THE APPLICATION NOW!

I know you can't live at the Community College. If you really want out of your mother's house, find a college with dorms that has a criminal justice program. But you'll need to act fast----immediately---if you want a chance of starting in September. You may have to wait until January if you want to go to college where there are dorms. Dragging your feet isn't going to get you into a program any sooner.

WHY would you waste money on ANOTHER phone?
I WAS in college. I plan on going to the police academy in Aurora anyways not Arapahoe. I already know Krav and Aurora teaches Koga and I need to learn that to become more well rounded.

And I would be buying a phone that didn't REQUIRE a data package, a CHEAPER phone and selling the one I have now. It would be cheaper for me in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
hold on txt....didn't a few weeks ago you say that you had all those bills covered and would have 500 a month to sock away?
Yes till BBB cut my hours so drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I told you txt to get a job waiting tables...at your age and skill set this is the best way to sock away some good money. I would then see about selling that car and getting something less expensive that you have no payment on and lower insurance....take the bus until you can afford one. List out all your monthly expenses you have living in your moms house now...and we can see how to trim some of them for you .
No, I NEED my car to get to work. There is one bus in parker and it doesn't run the hours I need to get to and from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
She can't sell the car. Grandma bought it brand new just a few months ago. With the depreciation of just driving it off the lot, she will be upside down on it already. She had to have a brand new car.
And my mom hit it with her durango so theres some dents in the passenger side of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Here lies the problem and this is why I don't think you'll ever really get it....

Your measure of success is just being out of your mother's house. That's all you care about. The short term.

As everyone has pointed out a ton of times before, unless you do something to better your education, you will not get more than the minimum wage paying jobs with the hope of getting the small little raise occasionally. It will take you forever to get anywhere. And if you think you deserve something, guess what....there is a long, long line of people right now desperate for work that will gladly take your job working minimum wage. It's an EMPLOYER'S market right now. If someone doesn't want to work for what they offer, there is someone else who will.

By the way, it would be stupid to get a new phone that ties you into a contract. Really stupid.
As long as my phone and plan is cheap, I should be fine and I can go month to month with Verizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
txt: There is a glitch in the way you think. "I feel like a failure because I don't make it on my own with the money I think." You should be thinking, "I am at home now because I am working towards a goal. It is all right for me to be at home. Just because I live at home that doesn't mean I am a failure. In (X) years I will be done with school and I will be making more money and I will be able to live on my own."

You are processing information incorrectly. It's called Cognitive Thinking. This is something that will help you your whole life. Understanding why you think the way you do will enable you to change the way you think. Get thee to a library and look in the "self help" section. (Maybe someone out there can recommend a book. My mind has gone blank for the ones I know.)

There are A,B,C books that spell out how to stop self defeating thoughts. Which is what you have. (You also have self defeating actions: Junk food, drinking, pills.)

You are a smart, creative person but you are never going to get where you need to go until you change things. The way you think. The way you eat. Probably the people you hang out with. (Who are your friends? Are they successful young people or are they working dead-end jobs.) Is your boyfriend encouraging you to go back to school? Or the academy? Or does he just hang out with you because you sleep with him? Hmm? Is he urging you to be the best person you can be? What does he do for a living? Does he have a dead end job? You should have people in your life who totally have their act together that you can use as roll models.

The phone is so important to you. OK. What do you talk about when you are on the phone with your friends? Chit chat? Complain about your life? Your mother? Having no money? Or are you talking about getting together to go to a poetry slam. Or do volunteer work.

I have read some tremendous posts here by people who are trying to help you. Up to you. Change your life and change the way you think or keep muddling along.

(OK Paganmama: Swift kick to my behind for trying to talk some sense into txtqueen.)
My friends are all soon to be cops or nurses and EMT's.
He DOES urge me to work hard and do well and be the best that I can be. He wants me to be a hard worker and do well and achieve my goals.

I keep in touch with my friends via my cell phone because I never get to see them in person because I am always so busy or never have the gas to get out to see them and I text them and call them and talk about life and stuff so I don't get bored wherever I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
You're spending more then a third of your take home income on transportation. That's insane. Buying a new car was a very bad idea. I hope that you realize that now and won't make the same mistake in the future. When you made the decision to buy a brand new car, you were not living within your means and now you're stuck with the consequences.

How much do you owe your Grandma for the car? I would stay put at Mom's house, keep both jobs and pay every last penny each month directly to Grandma and get the car paid off asap. Either that or I'd sell it, pay grandma the extra money that you'll owe her (because you'll never get what you paid for the car new when you re-sell) cut my losses, get a bus pass and move out.
Yeah you forget I have to pay car insurance too, I can't pay every last penny to my grandmother, I have OTHER things I need to buy.

Quote:
Oh, and I agree with others. DO NOT get yourself into an expensive cell phone contract. Living within your means would mean getting a pay as you go option and using it sparingly. You may NEED a phone but you definitely don't need to be spending $50+ a month to pay for it. That would be a want.
Like I said I am looking into buying a phone that doesn't require I pay so much for data.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
And I would be buying a phone that didn't REQUIRE a data package, a CHEAPER phone and selling the one I have now. It would be cheaper for me in the long run.
Hint about the data though txt. When/if you get a phone that doesn't require it...just block it completely or you will end up paying for crap that you have no idea what it is. I have data blocked on all our Verizon phones. We all manage just fine with no data at all. I keep 4 phone lines on my account and not one person has/"needs" data. I'm sure they'd all love it if we had it but no one needs it here except DH. And his employer has him on their plan for that very reason.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yeah you forget I have to pay car insurance too, I can't pay every last penny to my grandmother, I have OTHER things I need to buy.
I'm not forgetting about your car insurance. I'm talking about every penny that doesn't go to your current bills while you live at your mothers house. Since you don't have to worry about rent or utilities (or even groceries considering you said that you only spend $10 currently) you could be paying $650/month or more instead of $250/month and get it paid off much quicker.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not forgetting about your car insurance. I'm talking about every penny that doesn't go to your current bills while you live at your mothers house. Since you don't have to worry about rent or utilities (or even groceries considering you said that you only spend $10 currently) you could be paying $650/month or more instead of $250/month and get it paid off much quicker.
Exactly..which in the long run, will help you achieve your goal faster....You need to start looking at things in the long run rather than based on immediate gratification.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-28-2011 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hint about the data though txt. When/if you get a phone that doesn't require it...just block it completely or you will end up paying for crap that you have no idea what it is. I have data blocked on all our Verizon phones. We all manage just fine with no data at all. I keep 4 phone lines on my account and not one person has/"needs" data. I'm sure they'd all love it if we had it but no one needs it here except DH. And his employer has him on their plan for that very reason.
But how will she communicate on CD with her cell phone, while at work? Of course I, admittedly, have no idea whatsoever, how you "do" CD on a cell phone. I'm just assuming you need data capabilites in order to post and receive data from CD on your cell. Heck, I barely use 1/4 of the features on my cell phone. LOL

Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 PM

OK - I'm making 121804's beef/tomato/pasta thingy for dinner...just a warning...this filled up my crockpot completely. Literally, not a tiny bit of room to spare. And I haven't added the pasta yet....I may be ladeling it into my stock pot for that part. On the plus side, DS came home from school with a friend, took one look and invited him for dinner.....that's a good sign!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
My dh & I don't have data. I just couldn't see the reason of needing it at $15.99/mn. $30 to be able to see email of FB while waiting in line at the grocery store did't really cut it. We have access to the internet in our home & dh at work.
We do have texting, which is $5/250 mssgs.
When we got new phs this month, we purposely didn't get BB's or smartphones.

I would "like" an iPhone. I would "like" a BB. I would "like" a cleaning lady, personal trainer, chef, landscaper, part time nanny so I can work w/ the personal trainer...but I don't NEED any of those things.

I will say when I was txt's age, what I needed v. what I wanted were on the same level of importance.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I WAS in college. I plan on going to the police academy in Aurora anyways not Arapahoe. I already know Krav and Aurora teaches Koga and I need to learn that to become more well rounded.

Yes till BBB cut my hours so drastically.

No, I NEED my car to get to work. There is one bus in parker and it doesn't run the hours I need to get to and from work.

And my mom hit it with her durango so theres some dents in the passenger side of the car.

As long as my phone and plan is cheap, I should be fine and I can go month to month with Verizon.

My friends are all soon to be cops or nurses and EMT's.
He DOES urge me to work hard and do well and be the best that I can be. He wants me to be a hard worker and do well and achieve my goals.

I keep in touch with my friends via my cell phone because I never get to see them in person because I am always so busy or never have the gas to get out to see them and I text them and call them and talk about life and stuff so I don't get bored wherever I am.

Like I said I am looking into buying a phone that doesn't require I pay so much for data.

Then change jobs txt....or try to find a friend to help you get to work. The thing is txt it's obvious you have no desire to change at this time in your life. You come on here asking for advice but anytime someone gives you some there is a "Reason" why you can't do that. And anytime people advise you not to do something, then you do it anyway. Even though it's becoming obvious by now to you *i hope anyway* that you always admit we were right later on. You can make it in this world if you really want to...my daddy came here from Lithuania with almost no money and he did, so your whining pretty much elates no sympathy from me. I'm done with you, until you really have a desire to alter your life then advice to you is wasted.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
My dh & I don't have data. I just couldn't see the reason of needing it at $15.99/mn. $30 to be able to see email of FB while waiting in line at the grocery store did't really cut it. We have access to the internet in our home & dh at work.
We do have texting, which is $5/250 mssgs.
When we got new phs this month, we purposely didn't get BB's or smartphones.

I would "like" an iPhone. I would "like" a BB. I would "like" a cleaning lady, personal trainer, chef, landscaper, part time nanny so I can work w/ the personal trainer...but I don't NEED any of those things.

I will say when I was txt's age, what I needed v. what I wanted were on the same level of importance.

We do have unlimited texting....Because we are all frequently places where actual talking can be difficult/inconvenient, we have found that texting is worth the expense...If I was on a strict budget though, I'm sure I could do without that too Additionally, and fortunately for me, I am able to get a significant discount on my phone plan through the company I work for. I was on the phone with the Verizon rep the other day for something and she was asking me if I knew that I was eligible for a new phone...Um yes, I do know since it tells me everytime I log in to pay my bill...I was eligible like a year ago...but I don't NEED a new phone. Mine works fine.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Quote:
OK - I'm making 121804's beef/tomato/pasta thingy for dinner...just a warning...this filled up my crockpot completely. Literally, not a tiny bit of room to spare. And I haven't added the pasta yet....I may be ladeling it into my stock pot for that part. On the plus side, DS came home from school with a friend, took one look and invited him for dinner.....that's a good sign!
We are grilling tonight! Which basically means I don't have to do anything. Always a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting