Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Mrs X. Is your user name after the Nannie Diaries? Or does your last name really start with X. THat movie was on last night thats why I ask

Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Mrs X. Is your user name after the Nannie Diaries? Or does your last name really start with X. THat movie was on last night thats why I ask
LMAO I was folding laundry and trying to get myself off to bed and I caught part of it.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Near enough! Slightly inland from Byron Bay. BB prices are way too steep for me - plus the place is so full of backpackers and tourists these days that the traffic is dreadful. My Sydney friends always want me to take them when they visit... so those are the only times I go. Pity really, because there are some great restaurants and nitespots there.

Where did you grow up Finster?
Townsville. I couldn't get out of there fast enough though! I left the day after I turned 18. I've heard BB was getting pretty touristy. I've actually only driven through it. It's been a long time since I've been up that way.

Nice to meet you, Kobber.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
As I was telling Mr. X, all I want is to have a great relationship with my parents. I want to be able to buy my mom something and for her to be grateful. I want to be able to cook a meal or we cook together like mother and daughter and have a laugh. I want to talk to her without the mentioning of God or how I should be this way or that way or how horrible of a daughter I am. Tonight when Mr. X gets in I am off to the library as I reserved the book Toxic Parents by Susan Forward. I think the best thing I can do is to just detach myself from her and my dad for awhile.
(((((((MrsX))))))) I'm so sorry! I can relate to wishing things were different and feeling sad for how things 'should be but aren't.' I feel that way about my sister. We used to be very close, but through the years, she has become a different person and it's difficult to be with her. She has always gotten easily upset and held grudges, but not to the extreme she does now. She accuses us (my sisters and I) of not liking her, liking another sister better, paying no attention to her. We usually hear this after a family function, over the phone, and she can hold a grudge for eternity. It causes us to walk on egg shells around her when we are at a family function for fear we'll fall out of her graces afterwards. But nothing we do is every right. She's just insane IMO.

I had to completely stop interacting with her. What made it easy was simply not extending myself after an argument. I simply never tried to make up with her. It was such a relief to not talk to her anymore. But every holiday, she would try to suddenly repair relationships so she could have the Norman Rockwell fantasy that never resulted in being perfect enough for her.

At first, I would cave in and give it a try, but each holiday always ended the same. Like your mother constantly promising she'll pay for dinner but then wouln't afterwards, my sister would act all sweet and like the holiday get-together would be wonderful and then she'd get mad afterwards for whatever reason. Sometimes I would be clueless for weeks, thinking everything went fine and we managed to have a great Christmas holiday. But I'd call her in mid-January and suddenly get a earful about how I paid more attention to my sister than her.

I ultimately quit believing that a family get-together would ever result in anything positive from her and started making other plans for the holidays. After a couple of years of not spending the holidays with her, she finally started behaving herself. We had a tollerable enough thanksgiving and christmas this past season. It wasn't great (because it's impossible to truly enjoy myself around her), but she was pleasant and she didn't end it with playing all of her after-drama games.

I believe it's important to establish strong boundaries and not cave in to an "I promise" from people who repeatedly break their promises and have proven inability to behave themselves. This came to my mind when I read that you and your husband would cave in and believe she was going to pay for going to a restaurant, this is what came to my mind.

Your restaurant experience reminds me of a child saying "please, please mom. don't ground me. I promise I won't do it again" and then they turn around and do it again because they got away with it. You said that she's spoiled. So, ask yourself, how would you handle it if your children were behaving badly? You wouldn't let them get away with it again!

So, I'll recommend a few books for you too!

Amazon.com: Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You (9780060928971): Susan Forward, Donna Frazier: Books

Amazon.com: Dealing with the CrazyMakers in Your Life: Setting Boundaries on Unhealthy Relationships (9780736918411): David Hawkins: Books

Amazon.com: Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day (9780684868066): Anne Katherine: Books

Amazon.com: Boundaries - Where You End And I Begin: How To Recognize And Set Healthy Boundaries (9781568380308): Anne Katherine MA: Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
On a funny note...during our trip on Saturday we sat down in a park for a drink an some crazy lady came out of the bushes screaming at Mr.X saying that polygamy is illegal and he was going to burn in hell for walking bout with his three wives meaning, me, my mom and my neice!
That's hillarious! Have you ever seen Big Love! Love that show. The final season just started a couple of weeks ago.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I just found out our schools are closed tomorrow due to cold temps!
I'm terrified of the ice storm that's heading our way. I'd rather we got the 2 feet of snow instead of ice.

I just hope the electricity doesn't go out during the storm. It went out last night for an hour for no reason whatsoever.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Hopes - this resume thing seems to have got quite out-of-hand in recent years. My daughter and her partner have just returned here after spending a few years in the UK - and they've both been sending out resumes almost constantly. When I was last interviewed for a job, all the employer cared about was that you had the right certificates, presented yourself neatly, and had a couple of references saying you'd been a good employee. My daughter tells me that it now takes several hours to put a resume together and each one needs to be tailored to the specific employer, with screeds of info about your competencies in each of any number of areas. I'm glad I started my own one-person business years ago (retired now) and never needed to worry about resumes.
I'd love to start my own business just to avoid writing my resume!

I think we can thank computers and word processing software for the latest need to tailor our resumes to each specific employer and position.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Funny! I forgot about Mrs X in the Nannie Diaries! I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book years ago. It was hillarious!

Our Mrs X has quite the sense of humor if that's where she got the idea for her username. She's much too nice to be the true Original Mrs X.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Thank you Kobber for your sympathies! I would love to visit Australia or possibly relocate there. Mr. X gets itchy feet every so often and wants to move to different continents. I think I rather wait until Toddler X is out of the home.

I have many friends from the UK who go for a few months holiday and a few NHS nurses who have relocated and they tell me all about your nasty creepy crawlies! One of them told me he went to bed with his wife and woke up the next morning to find a very hairy (not a tarantula spider) the size of his fist sleeping on his wife's pillow.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Funny! I forgot about Mrs X in the Nannie Diaries! I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book years ago. It was hillarious!

Our Mrs X has quite the sense of humor if that's where she got the idea for her username. She's much too nice to be the true Original Mrs X.

Hopes and Ohiogirl, yes that is where I got the Mrs. X from but not as an homage to the Nannie Diaries it was more of a Page Six NY Post article regarding the Nannie Diaries book about how the social circle in NY was trying to figure out who was Mrs. X! So thus, Mrs. X came to be. It amazed me how one simple name like Mrs. X can cause whispers and rumors faster than a forest fire on who the person is.

Hopes thank you so much for the books! I will definitely be looking to purchase them and I appreciate all the advice I can get!

PS I do watch Big Love and it still amazes me that the woman yelled at Mr. X like he was Bill from Big Love. And no he doesn't look like him...

Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I say apply and see what they offer. Unless you are going to school for something completely different, I can't see how getting recent industry experience could hurt you when you are finished with school in the end!
It's just the thought of working full time and going to school seems overwhelming to me. I know people do it all the time, but I'm exhausted when I get done with work. I don't know how they find the energy. Regardless of how much money this O&G job pays, I still need to get my degree finished. Hubby will be retiring in 10 years, and I need to be in a position to support him at that time because his last employer (of 20 years) stole the company pension fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting