Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The population isn't that sparse. There's almost 100,000 people in that county.
I think that is kind of sparse because that is a rather big county. It doesn't have that many cities in it, more so townships and villages ect.

I have found that the majority of counties in Ohio have hard to pronounce indian tribe names.

It was always fun to look up the names during the school closings.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,703,411 times
Quote:
You're right. They are similar haircuts. The first photo is what it looks like with flat, lifeless hair. LOL

Thanks for the tips. It's doubtful I'll have luck, but I'll try!

I think the first photo looks BLA. It looks great on the girl in the picture. It looks great on me right after I comb or brush it. But one minute later, it just looks stringy. Any movement whatsoever just sets it into static flyaway hair. The weather is partly to blame. I just feel like it's so flat. With the right cut, I can get a certain degree of fullness and swing to my hair. This cut isn't it.

That's my hair! Styling products are the death of my hair! Low humidity makes my hair fly away from static and hgh humidity doesn't hold a style. I've found that it's best to pick haircuts that are meant for straight hair instead of picking haircuts that need styled or curled. Until I can get my hair cut next week, I will be able to curl my hair right now because the winter weather is low humidity and it will hold a curl.

OMGoodness! SAVE ME FROM THE FOOTBALL MADNESS! The people in my area have gone utterly and completely INSANE.

LOL...yeah, the static? OMG, If I contact the wrong materials, when it's cold and dry in the winter, hair behaves like one of those electro-static globes!! LOL I have to keep StaticGard on hand to spray my brushes and combs, as well as any nylon or fleece items I'm wearing, because if it's got static, it charges my hair like MAD! hehe...we sooo have the same hair! On cuts, I can't go with too many layers though, not unless I plan on spending tons of time styling. With such fine hair, too many layers makes it look so thin on the bottom layers. My daughter definitely didn't inherit my hair....she has TONS of hair, but it's no fine like mine either. It's still straight as a board though and doesn't hold a style.

P.S. I have grown to be a horrible skeptic. If I see a product on the shelf that says, "Won't weigh hair down. Adds lift to flat, limp hair. Lightweight styling product for fine hair", all I can think is....."yeeeaaah.....riiiiiiiight.....not MY hair!" LOL It'll be just my luck though...I finally found something that DOES work and they'll discontinue it! LOL

Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
The population isn't that sparse. There's almost 100,000 people in that county.

It's a suburb for the Canton/Akron area. The town Tuscarawas is only 35 minutes from Canton and the county border is even closer.

But I guess the odds are still small since you're so far away.
I know it well. (My dad's people are from that area.) And remember, I'm from CA. 100,000 people ain't nuttin!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
StaticGuard is awesome. What you might do, is do a quick spray on your hand, rub your hands together, and gently fluff your hair.

Also, have you given any thought to a body wave, or extensions, or even those temporary clip-on extensions? Doesn't need to be anything fancy, but the more "stuff" you have near your scalp, the more body your hair will look like it has. That's why I suggested teasing -only- at the scalp. To push the hair up away from the scalp so it falls just that tiny bit "off," which is what you're going for.

Also, if you decide you want to try spray or setting gel, do -that- only near the scalp as well. Notice, lastly, that in the first picture the woman's hair is shiny - glossy. In the second, there is no shine - it's actually very dull. But it's the "messy just had sex and feeling fine" kind of dull, which is supposedly attractive. I personally like the shiny close-to-the-scalp look in the first much better.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,703,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
StaticGuard is awesome. What you might do, is do a quick spray on your hand, rub your hands together, and gently fluff your hair.

Also, have you given any thought to a body wave, or extensions, or even those temporary clip-on extensions? Doesn't need to be anything fancy, but the more "stuff" you have near your scalp, the more body your hair will look like it has. That's why I suggested teasing -only- at the scalp. To push the hair up away from the scalp so it falls just that tiny bit "off," which is what you're going for.

Also, if you decide you want to try spray or setting gel, do -that- only near the scalp as well. Notice, lastly, that in the first picture the woman's hair is shiny - glossy. In the second, there is no shine - it's actually very dull. But it's the "messy just had sex and feeling fine" kind of dull, which is supposedly attractive. I personally like the shiny close-to-the-scalp look in the first much better.
Yeah....lol, love your description of the second hairstyle! hehe

As for the "hair extensions"....can not find any that match my hair! LOL My hair is naturally many, many different colors. I would have to fork out the money for "custom made" extensions to match the color. LOL

Old 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Don't waste money on static things for your hair! A dryer sheet does the same thing just rub it all over and it's still good to use in the wash also!

For volume. Blow dry your hair upside down.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
On cuts, I can't go with too many layers though, not unless I plan on spending tons of time styling. With such fine hair, too many layers makes it look so thin on the bottom layers.
That's what's wrong with this hairstyle right now. I curled it today. It's slightly better. I'm not looking foward to the extra work.

Quote:
My daughter definitely didn't inherit my hair....she has TONS of hair, but it's no fine like mine either. It's still straight as a board though and doesn't hold a style.
I don't mind that part of it. I think it's best to go with what you have. I've always chosen straight hairstyles. It's senseless to fight mother nature.

I've learned that the best way to find a good stylist is to find one with poker straight hair herself.

I haven't decided if I'm going to let my son's friend cut this shorter or go to someone who knows how to cut it. She did a good job coloring it. I wonder if she would be offended if I only used her to color my hair but went elsewhere for my cut.

Quote:
It'll be just my luck though...I finally found something that DOES work and they'll discontinue it! LOL
Look online for products you loved that you can't find. They might still be out there but not sold where you live. Many ladies in the South and Texas still wear BIG HAIR. Some of the products they use might help us simply have normal looking volumn. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I know it well. (My dad's people are from that area.) And remember, I'm from CA. 100,000 people ain't nuttin!
Well, then, perspective is everything, isn't it?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
For volume. Blow dry your hair upside down.
That works for me with the right cut. This cut doesn't qualify. I might get some fullness when the ends split.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Also, have you given any thought to a body wave, or extensions, or even those temporary clip-on extensions? Doesn't need to be anything fancy, but the more "stuff" you have near your scalp, the more body your hair will look like it has.
I'll never do body waves again. Never. Perms are so 80s. I'm so glad they're out of style. I'm afraid to spend the money on extensions. I know myself well enough to know that I'll take them out immediately because I'll hate how they feel. I'm overly sensitive to how things feel. But extensions are a great idea for people who need it.

Quote:
That's why I suggested teasing -only- at the scalp. To push the hair up away from the scalp so it falls just that tiny bit "off," which is what you're going for.
I'll try to tease it and see. I've always avoided doing too much because it's important to keep my hair in good shape. Straight hair needs to stay in top condition or it ends up looking like total crap. My sister teases her hair. It helps----but just a bit----not more than some hairspray.

Quote:
Also, if you decide you want to try spray or setting gel, do -that- only near the scalp as well.
It works better the other way for me. If it's near the scalp, it weighs down the hair. It's better if I use it more towards the center and ends.

I've been tempted to use powder! That's what they do for beauty pagents---powder sticks to the hair and makes it thicker. I'd probably break out in a rash! LOL

Quote:
I personally like the shiny close-to-the-scalp look in the first much better.
I realize my problem is mostly perception. People with wavey hair try to have my hair.

Quote:
Yeah....lol, love your description of the second hairstyle! hehe
Yeah, that's the hairstyle I wanted! My hair is in better shape though. It's not dull.

Quote:
As for the "hair extensions"....can not find any that match my hair! LOL My hair is naturally many, many different colors. I would have to fork out the money for "custom made" extensions to match the color. LOL
I've never even looked. I would have had the same problem since our hair color was similar. Now that I've died it, I probably could match it.

They must feel weird though. I've seen them on the reality TV shows. With my luck, I'd allergic to the glue or adhesive. I'm allergic to the glue they use to install office carpeting. Seems I'm becoming allergic to everything lately!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
They must feel weird though. I've seen them on the reality TV shows. With my luck, I'd allergic to the glue or adhesive. I'm allergic to the glue they use to install office carpeting. Seems I'm becoming allergic to everything lately!
Clip ins! You can actually make them yourself. Just buy a track of hair from a beauty store and sew on the clips, which they also sell. If you buy human hair you can dye them and wash them just like real hair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.