Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If you expect a few number of people, why would they bother w/ a VIP line??
They are casting in a college town for a reason... if she thinks there won't be much of a line, she's crazy.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I doubt they really want to be actors (assume that's why you ""'d)...they just want to be famous. They want to get paid to go to parties. They want to be Paris Hilton...famous for....hmmm...being rich and famous.
They all want to be the next Snookie - or whoever that is on Jersey Shore.

Boy, I wouldn't want my child doing anything that would make them a potential parody on Saturday Night Live....

Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
They all want to be the next Snookie - or whoever that is on Jersey Shore.

Boy, I wouldn't want my child doing anything that would make them a potential parody on Saturday Night Live....
Yes...because that's a life to emulate!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 AM

Have you seen SNL when they have "Snookie" on? So funny. It's one of the guys that plays her and they make her/him really orange.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 AM

No...I'll have to look for that on youtube or something. I've actually never seen Jersey Shore either...but I have seen Snookie...she looks ridiculous. I was just about to say "who DOES these things?!"...then I remembered...

I have watched my share of reality shows (some of the RH ones, I watched the first season of 16 and Preg.; Top Chef, Project Runway...). I can't help but wonder what goes through a person's mind who puts their life in front of a camera. Their life. Every bad trait (and we all have our less than stellar traits) is magnified and picked apart. Who needs that? What could possibly be worth that (except for Top Chef and Project Runway which at least have something constructive as the goal)? I don't get it.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 AM

Interesting link....
SoYouWanna get on The Real World?

Exactly which "part" do you think best fits you txt (hint: I'm not getting the "sweet naive" vibe as described in the attached...)? Is that really how you want people to see/remember you?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:17 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Have you seen SNL when they have "Snookie" on? So funny. It's one of the guys that plays her and they make her/him really orange.
Have you seen the parody on Miley Cyrus? It is too funny. They nail her voice.

And see, look what how we, (and we are ADULTS who have made consequence choices & are raising families, etc) are speaking?

I am quite surprised that someone who cannot hold down a steady job nor finish a job application is going through a Real World process....IMO, it says something, that being, that txt is capable of doing things, it's what WANTS to be done versuses what NEEDS to be done & that is the very consequence choice that is being made.

I don't have teenagers/young adults yet, so I am sure I will find myself facing some issue down the road w/ them that makes me shake my head & say "Why?". I just "hope" they don't need lesson after lesson to figure it out.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
That's a good article, mm. They are casting roles, they're not interested in people actually being themselves. It's incredibly calculated.

There was a guy on the local news a couple of nights ago that was on Hell's Kitchen. He was one of the more popular guys on the show, that actually did ok - and I know that show is designed to make a mockery of the contestants - but he said his life went totally down the tubes afterward. He couldn't get a job anywhere (he just got one after two years) and suffered terrible depression and had all sorts of troubles.

The point of the interview with him was, that these shows have you all coddled and protected when you're taping, but once they're done with you you end up back in your real life with zero support or follow up from them. Now I'm not saying they're obligated to help you out afterward, but the "cast members" are left to deal with the fall out of their tv time by themselves and without any preparation for what follows being on one of those shows (and that would be ridicule by the GP and the inability for employers or anyone else to take you seriously).

Did you read the article I posted, txt? One of the points in that was that it doesn't matter how you see yourself, they have a specific quota of "characters" to fill and you'll end up fitting the mold of one of them, even if you don't think you're like that at all.

Quote:
The only difference between so-called reality shows and dramatic shows is that they get real people to play the roles,” said Huysman. “You may think you’re the smart, sexy one, only to see yourself portrayed as a calculating ***** when the show airs. That’s why so many winners suffer a type of post-traumatic stress syndrome."
and:

Quote:
You have to think about the worst case scenario and be sure you can live with it -- people invading your privacy, family coming out of the woodwork to sell you out, people picking on your weight or your skin -- is it all worth it?"

Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Interesting link....
SoYouWanna get on The Real World?

Exactly which "part" do you think best fits you txt (hint: I'm not getting the "sweet naive" vibe as described in the attached...)? Is that really how you want people to see/remember you?
"Revelations. It's more than just losing your daily privacy; you have to realize that when you're on TV talking about your family and friends, it affects them too. If you talk about your alcoholic father (a la New Orleans' Melissa) or your mom's abortion, you then single-handedly force them to air their dirty laundry. And consider all the snotty little things you say about people (or do to people) all day long without really meaning it; do you really want to be remembered as the roommate who, in a moment of anger, slapped a girl (a la Stephen from the Seattle season)?

Editing. Think about it: to capture the so-called "reality," that makes The Real World MTV's highest-rated show, the network brings in a virtual army of editing masters. The images they select are the ones that are the most dramatic: fights, sex, violence, and general craziness. In order to get the dramatic narration that any TV show requires, the editors will change the perceived order of events, leave out important information, and try to make you look as much like a cartoon character as possible. Whether you like it or not, events will be distorted, and not to your liking."

But I think it just goes in one ear & out the other.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:24 AM

MM- Did you know Fabio from Top Chef is divorced?

Read the irony between the question & his answer

What's the key to your success?
FV: I can't fail. I left Italy because there was nothing left to do. The economy is bad; my mom and dad are not working. If something is wrong here, I cannot crash on their house. I'm going through a divorce right now. Unfortunately, I did love my wife very much, but we realized we were growing in separate directions. Nothing to do with the show or anything, but [I had a lot going on], and she figured she couldn't deal with it.

The red headed guy w/ the beard also got divorced. I believe she asked him for a divorce right before he went into the finals.

I can't stand public bathrooms. I could never imagine being videotaped for 4 months w/ the editors just waiting for the worst moment to put on the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting