Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I can stock shelves don't be such a SA....
Its STANDING for 8 full hours and sitting maybe 2-3 minutes max maybe twice the whole time and then getting up because my boss checks the cameras and I don't want to get into trouble for sitting.

I can lift heavy stuff but IMO its asinine to expect someone to stand for 8 hours a day and tell them to stay busy and not sit and rest like a normal person needs to.

With the average 8 hour a day job you get AT LEAST 50 minutes of break time, I got a 30 for lunch and two 10's at BBB.

You're bitching about a shift at BBB? You'll NEVER make it as a police office. There job is grueling. My BIL has so much back and knee pain from his years on the force and even though he is now Chief of Police, he still spends a lot of time on his feet. You have no clue, none at all.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
how old are you and how does your religion feel about unwed mothers?
24. Pre-marital sex is wrong along with abortion and artificial birth control. However, as I said, people tend to think that abortion is the worst of the three obviously. Next is artificial birth control (even though a very large percentage of Catholics use it). Pre-marital sex is seen as not as bad as the other two. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying how people see it.

Unwed mothers committed a sin, but having an abortion would give them an immediate excommunication from the Church. Adoption is an option, but some people won't do adoption.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:50 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
24. Pre-marital sex is wrong along with abortion and artificial birth control. However, as I said, people tend to think that abortion is the worst of the three obviously. Next is artificial birth control (even though a very large percentage of Catholics use it). Pre-marital sex is seen as not as bad as the other two. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying how people see it.

Unwed mothers committed a sin, but having an abortion would give them an immediate excommunication from the Church. Adoption is an option, but some people won't do adoption.
This is giving me horrible flash backs to catholic school.

The funny part is, the girls at my HS slept around like the world was ending.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
A lot of poor people are Catholic, and artificial birth control is a big no-no in Catholicism. Some people have no problem with being poor. They don't need all the material things that most Americans seem to think are necessary. Not everyone wants to go to college. Now, she should try to find some sort of job in my opinion. Also, assuming she's on welfare, I think the payments go up when you have more kids.

I don't like the my religion says I can't have pre-marital sex, but I'll do it anyway. However, I definitely can't have an abortion or use artificial birth control. An abortion in these religions is seen as murder. Using artificial birth control is seen as interfering with God's will. Those are seen as much worse things than having pre-marital sex.
You're blowing my mind with this Catholic stereotyping. I was raised Catholic and my father was an executive officer for a fortune 500. Catholicism is a predominant religion in my region. Catholics are not impoverished here. (Sadly, the Baptists are impoverished here because they tend to be the underprivileged.) You'd be amazed at how liberal many Catholics are---most don't completely follow the religion. I really think what jasper is describing is the result of low economic status and lack of education, not religious affiliation.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're blowing my mind with this Catholic stereotyping. I was raised Catholic and my father was an executive officer for a fortune 500. Catholicism is a predominant religion in my region. Catholics are not impoverished here. (Sadly, the Baptists are impoverished here because they tend to be the underprivileged.) You'd be amazed at how liberal many Catholics are---most don't completely follow the religion. I really think what jasper is describing is the result of low economic status and lack of education, not religious affiliation.
No. I am Catholic. I live in a very Catholic area. Most Catholics out here are extremely liberal and do not follow the majority of Catholic teaching on sexual issues. Out here, one of the main reasons is that in religious education they don't teach about birth control being against Catholic teaching. My husband and I are very traditional in following the religion, as is his family. I am faced with the extremely liberal and very traditional sides all the time. I know what I'm talking about in regards to these issues. Most Catholics I know would never get an abortion but are pro-choice. However, they will have pre-marital sex and use artificial birth control. Many of the poorest people out here are Hispanic Catholics.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Hey, conservatives can enjoy the show. I'm extremely conservative in both morals and politics, and I love Nip/Tuck.
Yeah, but you weren't born in 1908, and you're not a Sir. I kinda meant conservative in the being Prime Minister in Australia in the early 1970's kind of way, not in the 2010 American politics kind of way.

I probably should have explained that in my initial post.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Many of the poorest people out here are Hispanic Catholics.
Which has little to do with their religion. It's about their economic status and lack of education. The same applies the impoverished Baptists in my area. Religion clearly isn't the main influence in the decisions these groups make. If religion was a main factor in their decision making, you and most of the non-Hispanic Catholics you know would be having litters of children you couldn't afford.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
This is giving me horrible flash backs to catholic school.

The funny part is, the girls at my HS slept around like the world was ending.
My children were similarly shocked during the two years they attended Catholic school. OMGoodness, those children knew how to hide what they were doing by acting perfect but being absolutely over the top with being bad. My children were amazed at how bad they were. The freaky part was the nuns truly believed those children when they lied. My children didn't lie and would readily admit when they did something wrong. As a result, they got into trouble for stupid stuff while the 'good catholic' kids got away with murder. If you ask me, the entire Catholic school environment just teaches children how to have the APPEARANCE of virtue.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:15 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Why doesn't your mother have you on her health insurance?
Because she's too poor to afford it.

Quote:
A lot of poor people are Catholic, and artificial birth control is a big no-no in Catholicism. Some people have no problem with being poor. They don't need all the material things that most Americans seem to think are necessary. Not everyone wants to go to college. Now, she should try to find some sort of job in my opinion. Also, assuming she's on welfare, I think the payments go up when you have more kids.

I don't like the my religion says I can't have pre-marital sex, but I'll do it anyway. However, I definitely can't have an abortion or use artificial birth control. An abortion in these religions is seen as murder. Using artificial birth control is seen as interfering with God's will. Those are seen as much worse things than having pre-marital sex.
That's why I don't follow any sort of religion. Most religions tell you what you can and can't do with your own body and have strict guidelines for how to live life and whats the point in believing in that religion if you aren't going to follow it?

I just recently started birth control over 3 months ago, I would never dream of being off it because I take it so that I only have 4 periods a year. Its been like a month and a half into the pill taking because I didn't start out with the 4 periods a month regime to start with and so far its the best thing ever.

Quote:

What about the men in this situation? It seems they commit no sins at all and that is backasswards.
And if you are 24 years old then why not enjoy BC and having 4 periods a year and not having to deal with all that crap?

Quote:
My children were similarly shocked during the two years they attended Catholic school. OMGoodness, those children knew how to hide what they were doing by acting perfect but being absolutely over the top with being bad. My children were amazed at how bad they were. The freaky part was the nuns truly believed those children when they lied. My children didn't lie and would readily admit when they did something wrong. As a result, they got into trouble for stupid stuff while the 'good catholic' kids got away with murder. If you ask me, the entire Catholic school environment just teaches children how to have the APPEARANCE of virtue.
My brother went to a private school for a year when he was younger, those kids were awful, the stories he would come home and tell and it wasn't any better in the higher grades, those kids seem so off balance and messed up in the head with their beliefs and it seems most public schools have more well rounded kids.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:39 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
You're bitching about a shift at BBB? You'll NEVER make it as a police office. There job is grueling. My BIL has so much back and knee pain from his years on the force and even though he is now Chief of Police, he still spends a lot of time on his feet. You have no clue, none at all.
No, BBB was nothing compared to the gas station.
At BBB I got breaks, at the gas station I can't leave and get dinner because I am the only one there, I can't really eat dinner because people are in and out during 5-8 when its dinner time, can't eat dinner before 5 because then i'll just be hungry by the time I get off work, can't eat after 8 because I have to start my closing shift stuff.
Not to mention im there all alone and customers stop coming in after 8ish but no time for a break then because I have to clean out iced coffee, unsweet and green tea, coffee pots, deep clean the cappuccino machine, wipe everything down, change inside AND outside trashes, count about 3,000+ cigarettes, mop the floors, then count my drawer and leave. I'm lucky to get out at about 11:15-11:30.

There's really no where to sit except the office, which we aren't really allowed to sit in there because if the manager sees it he'll get angry, only place to sit is on the sink and you can't lean back because of the shelves on the wall and can't sit there for too long because the manager watches the tapes and he'll get angry if he sees you going there to sit a lot.

The manager actually HID the step ladder because he thought I was sitting on it on the job, and the only thing that led him to believe this was because I was putting it in the backroom/office after I was done using it to count the cigarettes instead of in the cooler but I was new and no one told me that the step ladder had to go back in there.

So sitting around or getting off your feet in this job is a big no-no.

The cops in my town are HARDLY on their feet.
Even on accidents, its back and forth between the car and the accident, mostly police are there for police presence while EMT/fire does their stuff.
Even on a domestic violence call, its talk to the people, either leave or make an arrest, if you make an arrest its back out to the car and to the jail to sit and write a report and book them in, then back out to the to finish more paperwork.

Even deputies that I've worked with, we were once on a deer vs motorcycle, the biker was dead when we arrived on scene.
We were on that call for the majority of the night from a little around 1 to 6am. We were NOT on our feet for even half of that. We checked everything out and then once EMT/Fire arrived went and sat in his car and pulled up some forms and stuff and then went and sat and talked with the fire fighters at their truck, then they left and then we went and sat in his car and wrote reports till the rest of the accident crew got there to map out the scene so they could try to figure out how he crashed, then walked around and placed number tags down to take photos of then once they snapped the pictures we got back in the car and sat and talked car-to-car with another officer.

I guess its grueling other places but not here it isn't. I KNOW the officers in my town, some of them personally, they sit in their cars ALL NIGHT, one friend had ONE domestic violence tonight, no arrest and now he's going to have nothing to do but drive around and do increased patrols until something if anything happens that he gets called to, same with the deputies, they all are bored out of their minds.

I plan on working for this area or one of the surrounding towns, I know what to expect from my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting