Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 03:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
are those shows dramas or comedies? I love British humor.
Dramas - with some humor thrown in. IIRC The Irish RM was kind of funny. Not comedy/Monty Python funny but dramas with some humorous situations....

Old 03-06-2011, 03:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
You could by linen. Even though it wrinkles I have found Downy Wrinkle Release spay to be magical. I used it exclusively in college. Another thing that helps wrinkles fall out is if you hang it on a hanger in the bathroom while showering the steam will help the wrinkles fall out.

Jersey can be light weight too.
Great hint on the Downey. Jersey would be too clingy. It gets HOT here. When it's up to 110-115 I don't want anything that's going to cling if I sweat. And sweating is a fact of life. Phoenix has shops that sell gauze clothing but most of it is butt ugly and has no shape. I'd never say this on the AZ boards but this isn't exactly the fashion capital of America.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:14 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Great hint on the Downey. Jersey would be too clingy. It gets HOT here. When it's up to 110-115 I don't want anything that's going to cling if I sweat. And sweating is a fact of life. Phoenix has shops that sell gauze clothing but most of it is butt ugly and has no shape. I'd never say this on the AZ boards but this isn't exactly the fashion capital of America.
I feel like AZ summer is like the north east's winter. You sometimes have to sacrifice cute clothes for comfort. In the winter here people look like the kid from a Christmas Story walking down the street in the winter. If you fall you can't get up. But at least you can wear something cute under it for when you get to your destination.

I do not know what I would do in that kind of heat. Probably just die.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I do not know what I would do in that kind of heat. Probably just die.
I'm quite sure snow would do me in. So we're even.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
I'm quite sure snow would do me in. So we're even.
Haha. Snow can be fun! Especially in NYC where you don't have to shovel it yourself. Melts pretty fast and they do a good job clearing it aside from that one storm this year.

I pretty much turn into a wining baby at anything above 80. I think its because my hair is so dark and thick its like wearing a wool hat all the time.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
OK, here's my gripe of the day. The kids and spouse are out, I love having time on a Sunday to do a body and hair treatment. Deep condition, exfoliate, depillate, and all the other .......ate's (), and then when it's time to do my hair, without my trifocals on, I can't tell which is shampoo and which is conditioner. All these fancy brands have matching containers, which is pretty and all, but for us old chicks it's frustrating. OK, that's my crisis of the day, now we can get back to solving world hunger and world peace.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
LOL - My shampoo is pricey. Here is what I have done....when I first started buying this shampoo (Aveda) I bought a small bottle since it was so pricey. I since, have purchased the large bottle but I just use that to refill the small bottle. For a couple reasons: 1) I can tell the difference between that and the large (less expensive brand) conditioner. 2)So DH doesn't mistakenly use it 3) To remind me that I just need a small amount

What I get irritated at is when I'm just forgetful and get out of the shower, start toweling off my hair, only to realize, it still has conditioner in it and I have to get back into the shower! Argh!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:03 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
OK, here's my gripe of the day. The kids and spouse are out, I love having time on a Sunday to do a body and hair treatment. Deep condition, exfoliate, depillate, and all the other .......ate's (), and then when it's time to do my hair, without my trifocals on, I can't tell which is shampoo and which is conditioner. All these fancy brands have matching containers, which is pretty and all, but for us old chicks it's frustrating. OK, that's my crisis of the day, now we can get back to solving world hunger and world peace.
That's my big gripe too! So much, in fact, that just the other day I contacted Procter and Gamble to complain that they have recently changed the packaging of their Pantene conditioner from a tube, to a 'twin' of their shampoo bottle (and with practically a twin label design too). The only reason I bought Pantene in the first place was because the shampoo and conditioner was packaged differently and I could tell which was which in the shower!

They said they'd take note of my complaint - ha! But maybe if more of us complained, they might put more thought into this type of thing. I went to their website and complained via their 'contact us' tab.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I bought those huge salon-size pump bottles with I think Tresseme, a few years ago. My showerstall has a bult-in shelf with a metal rail that curves in front of it. This shelf holds the two bottles perfectly, with no room for anything else (there's another shelf, plus it has a built-in seat). The conditioner is the one closest to me, the shampoo is the one closest to the shower door.

When we ran out of shampoo, I bought a different brand, cleaned out the empty bottle, and refilled it. So we never have to pick up the shampoo or conditioner, never have to worry about which one's which. We can find the shampoo with our eyes shut (which we usually do anyway).

Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Quote:
OK Question for you fashionistas and I'm not about to ask it "over there" on the Fashion threads. It gets tremedously hot here in the summer. Up over 100 degrees for months at a time, hot. I don't like wearing shorts all the time. Especially on long car rides with the sun beating into the car. I have a few pair of pants that are very light weight cotton/poly mixes but want a few more.

I get a lot of clothing catalogs and since I live in the boonies I do a lot of shopping by catalog. What fabric do I look for that is light weight? Obviously I can't feel the material in a catalog. I see Tencel/cotton, stretch twill (cotton/spandex), twill, cotton twill. Which would be the lightest weight? Not wrinkling is also pretty much a necessary as I do not want to iron when it's that hot outside. Mucho thanks if any of you can help here.
Same problem here in the Land Downunder! I solved it by buying a stack of Indian cotton pants - they're ridiculously cheap (usually under $10 each) and I buy them from the Saturday market. Some of the designs are a bit hippy-trippy, but I usually find several I can live with.

The colours will run at first - so I usually hand wash them to start with, but after a few hand washes they go in the machine (with cold water). They'll shrink a little bit in the dryer (so take that into consideration when you buy them), but only the first couple of times.

The colours also fade after a year or so - at which point they become pajama bottoms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting