Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
So you've met my Mum, then. Seriously, she used to say that all the time. Must be an Aussie thing.
Your Mum and Dew's friend probably got it from Malcolm Fraser who became the Aussie Prime Minister following the Gough Whitlam debacle in 1975. He said 'life wasn't meant to be easy' during a speech - probably one of those speeches telling the people the government was about to introduce a new tax. It became quite the catch-phrase at the time and for some years afterwards!

Re living in the city - I've only spent a few days in Philly, but I loved, loved, loved it! I vote for living in the city, with just one BUT. Will there be plenty of other kids your DD's age living close by? My DD went to to school in the city at age 4 (well, not right in the city - North Sydney, where we lived at the time) and we found that most of the other kids lived further out. So she only had one or two local playmates. So organising playdates etc. was sometimes a bit of a hassle for the parents involved.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Due to where I grew up, I'm very uncomfortable in an all or very heavily white setting. I wouldn't want my kids to grow up where it's all one race. Here, it's all Hispanic, and I would rather raise our kids somewhere with more diversity. Now, my elementary school only had one black kid, but the rest was a mixture of white, Hispanic, and Asian. Those three were almost equal. That would make me lean much more heavily to the city.
Yeah. It's something to think about, Finster. I went from an incredibly diverse community to one that is very white bread. And I pick up on a lot of prejudice that I don't even think the natives are aware of. I mean, shoot, look how far I had to drive for my Hawaiian Super Bowl food! I'd seriously check out the restaurants in the burbs. If you can't get a decent bowl of Thai, I'd look somewhere else.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Diversity is only good if there is harmony in the school. It depends on the region. My region is heavily self segregated. The most diverse schools are extremely dangerous. It's more due to economics than race. This is the remnants of merging affluent districts with impoverished districts decades ago.

Fortunately, our suburbs are slowly becoming more diverse as minorities are moving to the suburbs as their economic status improves. They are welcome. It's a very smooth transition compared to when schools were merged. But it's a slow road though. Most suburban districts still only have 2% minority population.

Unlike in the past when minorities moved into a district, we're not experiencing white flight like a couple suburbs experienced a few decades ago. Those suburbs went downhill very quickly---property values dropped and then people of lower income move into the area and brought crime, which caused people of all races to flee the district if they had the economic means to leave.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Your Mum and Dew's friend probably got it from Malcolm Fraser who became the Aussie Prime Minister following the Gough Whitlam debacle in 1975. He said 'life wasn't meant to be easy' during a speech - probably one of those speeches telling the people the government was about to introduce a new tax. It became quite the catch-phrase at the time and for some years afterwards!
Very interesting. I met that particular woman, who was a real hoot BTW, in 1978 on my first trip there.

Care to comment on people from Tasmania? I had friends from there and, even when they met other Aussies, they'd say, "We're from Tassie" and everyone would look at them like they were some exotic species. Something to do with the penal colonies on the island? I never had the courage to ask.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
That's right, Kobber! I remember now. It was quite the joke, my Mum used to say it very sarcastically if I whinged about something. Like I'd say, 'I don't like this ice cream' and she'd say 'Well, life wasn't meant to be easy". Smart arse.

Quote:
Re living in the city - I've only spent a few days in Philly, but I loved, loved, loved it! I vote for living in the city, with just one BUT. Will there be plenty of other kids your DD's age living close by? My DD went to to school in the city at age 4 (well, not right in the city - North Sydney, where we lived at the time) and we found that most of the other kids lived further out. So she only had one or two local playmates. So organising playdates etc. was sometimes a bit of a hassle for the parents involved.
Yeah, Philly's great. We live a little out of the downtown area now, but we get the train in all the time to go to the parks and stuff in the Center City. It's one of the best cities I've seen for kids. There's really a lot of stuff to do.

I think the playmate thing will be fine. Here, you actually have to live in a defined area around the school in order to attend that particular one, unless you apply to get in - but the local kids get in first. So most of the kids will live in the area.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Philly's great. We live a little out of the downtown area now, but we get the train in all the time to go to the parks and stuff in the Center City. It's one of the best cities I've seen for kids. There's really a lot of stuff to do.

I think the playmate thing will be fine. Here, you actually have to live in a defined area around the school in order to attend that particular one, unless you apply to get in - but the local kids get in first. So most of the kids will live in the area.
Do you live in Philly? I had NO IDEA you lived so close to me. Well, close being 5 hours. But that's internet close! LOL

Old 03-08-2011, 02:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
I want her to have a stable life until she leaves school, as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I like that. I had it. My kids had it. Roots.
I used to think that, but I have changed my mind over the years. I lived in the same house, went to the same schools, etc, but I now think adapting, and experiencing new things can be exciting, and good for kids. People don't tend to stay put much any more, so I think it's good for kids to learn how to adapt as moving around is now a fact of life. Just because kids have lifelong friends doesn't mean that's necessarily a good thing (anyone on FB will probably agree ). We are contemplating an out of country move next, there may be an opportunity in Shanghai, and I am very keen.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 03-08-2011 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Very interesting. I met that particular woman, who was a real hoot BTW, in 1978 on my first trip there.

Care to comment on people from Tasmania? I had friends from there and, even when they met other Aussies, they'd say, "We're from Tassie" and everyone would look at them like they were some exotic species. Something to do with the penal colonies on the island? I never had the courage to ask.
Well, I grew up in England so I'm not privy to some of the reasons why we Aussies have this (mostly friendly) rivalry between the cities and the states. Since Tasmania is an island to the south of the mainland, Tasmanians are geographically 'separate' for one thing. They seem to care about that more than us mainlanders do, and have a tendency to rabbit on about how their air is cleaner, their cows and sheep are smarter, and their grass is greener! True, they do produce great butter and cheese etc. and it is a scenically beautiful state.

There's always been this perception (not sure if it has any basis for truth, but it probably does) that there was (and maybe still is) a lot of in-breeding in Tasmania. So there is this standing joke that all Tasmanians have two heads! Sometimes they'll play along with it, and tell you they've left their second head at home, or have tucked it under their jacket!

I have quite a few Tasmanian friends, so am allowed to say this - they do have a tendency to believe they're special!! Which is why they need to tell people where they're from. And they get looked at like an exotic species, because people are looking for their second head.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We are contemplating an out of country move next, there may be an opportunity in Shanghai, and I am very keen.
I'd be so down with that! I'd love to move out of the country for a year!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Thanks, Kobber. Never heard the inbreeding thing. Once again I've learned something here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting