Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I thought it was Thursday, today I keep on thinking it's Friday. I am losing the tiny fragments of my mind!

By the way, anyone else irritated by this new trend? Apparently as long as you preface an obnoxious rude comment or insult by saying "I'm just not PC" it's apparently acceptable behaviour? Sorry, just had to vent.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 03-17-2011 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: ETA

Old 03-17-2011, 11:43 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Once every two weeks I know what day it is... every other Wednesday is garbage day! LOL I use that as my reference point...pitiful!

Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yesterday I thought it was Thursday, today I keep on thinking it's Friday. I am losing the tiny fragments of my mind!

By the way, anyone else irritated by this new trend? Apparently as long as you preface an obnoxious rude comment or insult by saying "I'm just not PC" it's apparently acceptable behaviour? Sorry, just had to vent.
Bless their little hearts, they are trying.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Bless their little hearts, they are trying.
They are super-special snowflakes!

Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
They are super-special snowflakes!
Smart cookies.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Smart cookies.
Are those like clever donkeys?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Are those like clever donkeys?
Haha I don't know. It's something my mom used to say sarcastically to me all the time.

Does anyone here watch Degrassi specifically the one this week?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Edit to add, the Japanese have also been relying on what they are being told by the operators of the facility, Tepco. And Tepco hasn't been entirely forthcoming with the truth. Outside officials and experts (like the Nuclear Regulatory Commission) would be brought in for consultation in this country. Apparently, that hasn't happened in Japan. There is a "talking head" on CNN, James Walsh, who has been outstanding in explaining what is happening in Japan for those of you who are interested.
I have been watching him.
It is very rough to hear all of this; to know there is so little to do in the way we can help right now.
The Japanese govt will not allow women & children who live in the blocked off area to leave. That boggles my mind. Why would you keep them there?

I only lived a yr in Korea, but the Asian culture is very amazing yet difficult to figure out from a western perspective. What you hear & what is the truth is sometimes hidden. It may not be the case, but the Japanese govt may be telling info the way it is b/c the damage this can do to the world stock market & in their eyes, pride. This is a very proud culture.

I also think it is so overwhelming, all of it, the govt in Japan just cannot get a handle on it. Look at the US govt during Katrina. Now multiple that by what, like 1,000 & add an earthquake to it.

The humanity shown by the people over there is amazing though. No looting, roiting in streets, setting things on fire. It's winter there. The other night it went below freezing.

Yesterday when I logged on to msn.com, it was Japan & then the next screen was the richest Americans under 30. I found it obnoxious. Not that life should stop & not go on; only dwell on bad, but still, I could care less how much Scarlett Johannessen or LeBron James makes in yr. I honestly do not care.

On the flip side, I live in a huge Irish area & what a great day for a parade. The sun is out & in the mid50s. I am happy for the irish dancers.

My 5yo loves the idea of a leprachuan. We got him a puzzle (his new addiction) & turned over some chairs & messed up some pillows..he thought the Leprachuan had gotten in the house. He was jumping around all excited. He got more excited over this today than CMas morning. Brought a huge smile to our face & truly touched my heart.

There is good in life, we have to embrace it, no matter how small.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
121804, Every day I look for something to make my heart happy.

Your 5yo wins today! Thanks for sharing that.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
How far north? The Fermi II plant, in Michigan, has had it's problems.

Fermi I had a partial meltdown in 1966, though no radioactivity was realesed. Fermi II, which operates today, is the same make and model as the Fukushima reactor. No earthquakes by Fermi II but there are tornados up there.

(I have a good friend who is a real, live nuclear physicist. He's been educating me since Three Mile Island.)
We wouldn't be safe from a complete meltdown since some claim that requires a 1200-2000 mile radius. But we'd be safe from less substantial radiation leaks, like 3 mile island, which didn't increase cancer in the region, and even a Chernobyl event since that contaminated a 30km radius. Our property is in northern PA almost exactly in the center of surrounding reactors in Ohio, PA and NY---250 miles away or more from each reactor in all directions. Our main house is only 30 miles away from the two reactors near Pittsburgh though.

Here's an interesting database with "worse case casualties" column (although it hasn't been updated with amount of waste for my area since 1995.)

List of nuclear power plants in America

The ones (Shippenport) closest to my house has a worst case casualities of 200k people. The metro area has a population of 2 million but the area where the reactors are located is sparsely populated. If you glance through that spreadsheet, you can see where the worse case casualities are the worst. For example, one in eastern PA has casualties near 700k because it's located halfway between two highly populated areas, Reading and Philadelphia. Interestingly, the reactors in southern California don't have high "worse case" numbers, which is surprising because the wind doesn't move very well there---that's why LA has smog.

I have no delusions. I'm just saying we have somewhere to live if necessary for most potential scenarios. That's more than most people have since most only own one property.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-17-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting