Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
We have 11 feet of snow. We had to tunnel through 25 miles of it - uphill in both directions, just to get to the mailbox. There may be birds buried beneath it all. It's hard to tell with the 72,000 squirrels all coming out to dig for the 6 feet of acorns piled up on the ground beneath the snow.
11 feet and 72,000 squirrels! If we had that going on dd would have to remain fruitless, I'm afraid. Not sure if even Monty Python can compete with you on that one.

And you can mock regarding the 20ft of acorns, my dear, but we lived on the side of a mountain and that pipe went from the top of the house to the bottom, and the entire thing was so full of acorns that when he undid the pipe under the sink acorns came popping out. They must have been storing them there for years.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 01-08-2011 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: I needed to refudiate the mocking.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I did. We moved up there from LA when dd was little so I could have some peace to write some music I'd been commissioned to write. It was great, for a while, but it got too small for me after a bit.
I completely understand. For excitement they drive to Fawnskin. (A name that, I have to tell you, always makes me snicker. )

Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
Quote:
I did. We moved up there from LA when dd was little so I could have some peace to write some music I'd been commissioned to write. It was great, for a while, but it got too small for me after a bit.

I am ashamed to say I have never skiied. But I did go out on the lake in the summer on a boat.
We lived in BB too! For about 9 months. We got married there too - at the Elk's Lodge. One set of my in laws (and several extended family members) still live there.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:19 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I completely understand. For excitement they drive to Fawnskin. (A name that, I have to tell you, always makes me snicker. )
Well you would have been snickering a lot at me, because that's actually where I lived! I always had to spell it - I think people on the other end of the phone when I called customer service or whatever thought I was pulling their leg.

sskkc, you too huh! This internet world is really tiny. Did you shop at Vons or Staters? I found that was the biggest issue for people up there.
Sure is beautiful, though.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
He should leave his account open. If he actually gets a job, he'll find it cheaper, quicker, and more convenient to get direct deposit than it is to get a physical paycheck 2 days later, go to a bank that he does -not- have an account in, produce ID proving he's really himself, just to cash the check.

Also, some companies that give physical paychecks, mail them to the home. Homeless man + check mailed to..where, exactly? = no money.
The account is closed. He can't keep an account open that his mother doesn't want him to have her name on anymore. Plus, the bank was a small bank that doesn't have branches anywhere near where he goes to school or works. I took him to another bank and he opened an account there today. It has lots of branches with three within walking distance of where he spends most of his time.

Quote:
Also, he has to have a physical address when he looks for work. He has to be able to prove his citizenship, and the only way to do that is to have an ID that gives his address. If he gives an address where he -doesn't- live as proof of eligility to work in the country, he's committing a federal crime.
He's not committing any federal crimes.

Quote:
Hopes, is the kid staying on the street?! It's freezing out there. What does one do in his situation, to stay alive?
He stays at different friends' houses. He stayed at the first one for 2 weeks. He has been at this latest one for a few weeks. It's all very up in the air because he can wear out his welcome anytime anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hopes I know you have a big heart, but try not to over do it. You're just a few days out of the hospital. Is there anyone else who can help this young man?
I am exhausted. I just got home from an entire day of driving around helping him. I couldn't sleep last night so I only got 3 hours sleep, woke up at 8:30 and I got home at 3:00. There are people helping him by letting him stay with them, but there isn't anyone who can devote time to helping him sort out various things.

His parents keep throwing hurdles in his way to prevent him from succeeding. For example, they STILL have his car (which is in his name). And they refuse to give him his social security card, but he will need that if he gets offered a job. I'm not sure if social security will let him apply for a new card by himself before he turns 18. He is just dealing with a bunch of crap like that and it makes it difficult for him to navegate towards getting on his feet.

The stupidity of these problems they create for him stresses me out. I have a headache and I was getting panic attacks while I was helping him sort through other issues today. He can't even initiate any court action against them on his own until he turns 18---such as going to the magistrate to force the parents to give him his car.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
He doesn't need his social security card to get a job. He just needs to know his social security number. He will also need either a certified copy of his birth certificate and his photo drivers' license, or his passport. If he doesn't know his SS # all he'd need to go to the SS office and present the -same- forms of ID that a job would require, and they'll give him his number.

Also, he should know that he doesn't have to write his social security number down on a job application. He is only required to provide the number if he accepts a job and is hired.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:30 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Did anyone catch the post where I said my mom hit my car?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:42 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Does anyone here read blongs. This one has to be my favorite. I thought I would share it for a chuckle or two on this snowy Saturday.

Full List of Stuff White People Like « Stuff White People Like

I know I LOVE all of those things

and txt, sucks about your car. My sister backed into my new car after I had it for 2 days and smashed in the front passenger side. sh*t happens and it sucks.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
He doesn't need his social security card to get a job. He just needs to know his social security number. He will also need either a certified copy of his birth certificate and his photo drivers' license, or his passport.
He needs his SS card since he doesn't have the origional or certified copy of his birth certificate. She won't hand that over either.

Quote:
Also, he should know that he doesn't have to write his social security number down on a job application. He is only required to provide the number if he accepts a job and is hired.
Of course. I didn't say otherwise.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Hopes- hope everything can get straightened out for the guy. Please KUP.

Wanted to ask, do any of you have a blog? (I couldn't find a topic on it anywhere)
I have recently started one: Moderator cut: Links to outside blogs are not allowed but would also like to read some of you girls/guys is you have one. Please share link if you do, thanks.

Also, although this blog hasn't been updated in years, I highly recommend reading through the posts- HILARIOUS (IMHO) posts about musings from nurse in Labor & Delivery: Moderator cut: Links to outside blogs are not allowed

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-08-2011 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: No links to outside blogs, please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting