Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks. I'm interested in finding out which schools are the right schools.
Hopes, most I've known have apprenticed, which means they picked it up as they went along. (These are all older folks.)And, being in L.A., most have had connections. So and so knows so and so. Give me time to ask a few people I know what they did. I'm sure FinsterRufus can be of help when she's back on line.

I know there are technical colleges and some colleges in So Cal have programs. Let me do a little digging when I've got some time. Today's football and tonight's Golden Globes. (My idea of a perfect day and evening of entertainment in front of the tube.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-16-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'm in!
me too!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks. I'm interested in finding out which schools are the right schools. Our city is not the right place. The degree isn't offered in my region. She'll have to move to another city and live in a dorm at colllege. I guess the best school for her would be one that's located in a city that has a music industry so she can work part-time while attending school. That's what I want to know. Which schools offer the best opportunities for students who didn't grow up with connections? Which schools are the best that are located near studios? And honestly, she'd be happy being a sound technician---touring with bands too. She just wants to be affiliated with the music industry because she loves music. She's not a groupie person. She just loves music. She'd be a stage hand if she could.
She sounds just like me at her age. That's how I did it, I did front of house (live mixing) for bands first, then I got a job as an assistant engineer in a studio after making coffee and cleaning up at night for free - they gave me a job after one of their assistants quit, and I went from there.

However, unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way anymore and you do have to do an audio engineering course first. You do that and then get a job as an unpaid intern (runner) at a studio. You'll work long hours and spend many days running to restaurants at 4 in the morning picking up food for P. Diddy. But that's what it takes to get in these days.

All major recording studios have internship programs.

Here's a list of websites of engineering schools that will be taken seriously by studios:

Full Sail University: Campus and Online Degrees

The Los Angeles Recording School: School for Music Production

Recording Institute, School of Audio Engineering for Sound Engineering Courses

Creative Media Courses for Learning Audio, Video, Film, Games, Animation - SAE Institute

Here's my advice: The industry is extremely crowded with recent engineer graduates when in reality the studio business is getting smaller and smaller due to the number of people who choose home production over studio production. She needs to get herself a mac laptop and a cheap mic and a usb keyboard and start fooling around with production software - garage band, logic, or pro tools le, pronto to get a head start. She needs to subscribe to and voraciously read every industry publication out there. The main ones are:

Mix Magazine | Pro Audio, Live Sound, Music Recording and Live Post for Audio Pros

Tape Op Magazine

Speakers, Amps, Monitors & Tracking News in the Studio & Home Recording Industry - EQmag.com

KeyboardMag.com Online Community for Keys, Boards, Gear, Lessons, News, Video, Tabs & Chords

She needs to get this book:

Amazon.com: The Recording Studio Handbook (9780914130017): John M Woram: Books

There is one key and one only to being successful in this industry - and that is PERSISTENCE. You have to stick at it. You have to be extremely thick skinned and not take no for an answer. You have to work unbelievably hard. There is tons and tons of competition. This is not a job - it's a way of life.

Lastly, if she needs a mentor, I would be happy to do it. If you like Hopes, send me a DM and I'll send you my email address and my bio and discography so she can see where I've come from. I'd be happy to help.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
The hubby and I spent part of today outside working our backyard garden. Planting season comes pretty early here, so we need to get it ready. It was hot, though. Man, it's over 80 degrees here. What happened to January? Of course, while I was working out there, the hubby was sitting in the trees eating from our tangerine tree.

Even when I'm old, I wouldn't be able to go to your nursing home or whatever you guys want to call it. I dress frumpy. Haha.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:23 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Txt didn't you have a new car? Because i'm curious how you are only paying liability on that. You forgot to factor in cable...and the shelving away money for misc things that always seem to happen., and you metioned health insurance as well. You might be able to eat on 100 a month....but you won't be eating many calories for that amount....or you will be eating nothing but lean cusines on sale. But you are forgetting txt that you have other things to pay for besides groceries. Cleaning supplies,toilet paper, ect etc etc. What about spend money....do you ever plan to go out once a week? I think it's going to be more realistic that you save around 200 a month then 500.
I'm not just paying liability. I have full coverage.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:15 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,518 times
At only 131 dollars for a 21yr old for a new car? Something doesnt smell right

Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
At only 131 dollars for a 21yr old for a new car? Something doesnt smell right
BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY$466.00 BI $25,000 EACH PERSON - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $15,000 EACH ACCIDENT MEDICAL PAYMENTS $5,000 EACH PERSON$36.00 COMPREHENSIVE ACV LESS $500 DEDUCTIBLE$50.00 COLLISION ACV LESS $500 DEDUCTIBLE$307.00 ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE$1.00

Premium by Vehicle$860.00 Policy Level Coverages
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bi$24.00 $25,000 Each Person - $50,000 Each Accident Theft Prevention Authority Fee$0.50 Total Policy Premium$884.50

That's copied and pasted from my progressive profile.

I am 21, nearly 22.
I have NEVER been in an accident while being the driver.
I have NEVER gotten a ticket for anything, not even a parking violation.
I have NEVER even been pulled over.

I named my price with progressive.
It's lovely.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Yeah she's got the bare-bones "your insurance won't cover the cost of the car you just totalled, I'll have to sue you for your next 2 year's income and your firstborn" coverage.

Most people have 50k/100k liability. Her insurance wouldn't have covered my medical bills back in 1982 when I was the victim of a car accident.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah she's got the bare-bones "your insurance won't cover the cost of the car you just totalled, I'll have to sue you for your next 2 year's income and your firstborn" coverage.

Most people have 50k/100k liability. Her insurance wouldn't have covered my medical bills back in 1982 when I was the victim of a car accident.
That's why you see early 20 something driving cars out of their price range while living at home & 40 somethings driving Kias
I wonder if she has medical insurance. All she needs is one bad accident (god forbid that ever happen in all seriousness!!) & end up in admitted for 24hrs....
txtgrl...don't get so defensive; seriously, you gotta know what could happen if something did happen & truly would never want something bad to happen, but you could be in serious financial state if not w/ the right coverage. If you don't have any medical on top of that, at least start a small emergency savings acct, even if that means $10 a paycheck, to cover you in case of emergency. Replacing one tire can cost $100. Doctors visits noninsured are at least $80-$100.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Welcome to "The CD Home for CyberMoms Who Rock" located in sunny Snottsdale, AZ. We think you'll enjoy our facilities: A laptop in every room with free WiFi, live bands on Friday afternoons (no cover charge) and personalized iPods.

Our staff includes Hopes who will fluff your pillows and give you a hug. NEOhiobound (who is trying to figure out how she landed in the desert) is there for your nutritional needs. FinsterRufus teaches mandolin and harmonica on Tuesdays and Thursdays respectively but not always respectfully. DewDropInn drops in occasionally to regale the ladies with stories about the movers and shakers in Hollywood she has known but not always loved.

Membership is open to all regadless of race, creed or national origion. However each resident must be able to dance with abandon. The wearing of anything frumpy is strictly prohibited. Ohiogirl is on staff to advise all residents on their wardrobe.

All applicants must be known for having good sense, be able to give motherly kisses on the cheek, and the ability to give their years of wisdom freely to every delivery boy who walks through the door. Husbands are welcome. Boyfriends are encouraged.

Children must register with Security before they enter the grounds.

Enjoy your stay!

Dew! ROTFLMAO! You're hired.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting