Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Has anyone seen the musical Wicked?
Yes - loved it but I agree that 6-7 is a bit young (although I too saw kids that age).....

Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
He's also taking AP Economics.
The thought of economics makes me shutter. Although my teacher for that used to throw the dry erase markers a lot and that was really fun sometimes. He also used to use drugs and hookers in the problems to get the students attention. This was in college like my junior year so I was 21. It was fun. But still, no more widgets for me.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I had to giggle. What is he thinking? The ONE class that you think will be a breeze will HAUNT you! This happened to DS this year with Multimedia. He ended up hating the class!

So our son is taking AP Physics and AP Calculus. But he also HAS to take an English class and they all are a bit crappy so he is ending up with AP English. He's also taking AP Economics. He shouldn't have to take much else. Just a couple of electives and he wants to tutor again and then take a stupid P.E. since it sounds easy and hey - no homework.

Is it horrible to say I'm glad I'm not in his shoes? I guess this is what he has to do to get into Aerospace. He will have no life. We discussed this. As long as he's happy and pursuing his passion. But good grief. He's in for a long senior year.
I don't think DS thinks it will be a breeze....not sure though. He has taken sculpture every year and really enjoys it...just likes using "the other side" of his brain for a change - plus it's really hands-on which he enjoys - he tends to be pretty tactile. My comment was really just sarcasm directed at some recent conversations that more or less infer that any subject that is not math or science is the horrifying result of lax Western style parenting blah blah blah...

I don't envy your DS's schedule! But it's really cool that he's doing it because HE is pushing himself in a desire to acheive a goal he set for himself.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Western style parenting blah blah blah...
I took knitting this semester. You should see the asian girls knit. WITH THE LITTLEST NEEDLES EVER. Honest to god is there anything they aren't good at? One girl knitted a swatch book os 50 swatches and a DRESS.

In high school I took photo for my art class. It was really really hard. We used this thing called film, you may have heard of it.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I took knitting this semester. You should see the asian girls knit. WITH THE LITTLEST NEEDLES EVER. Honest to god is there anything they aren't good at? One girl knitted a swatch book os 50 swatches and a DRESS.

In high school I took photo for my art class. It was really really hard. We used this thing called film, you may have heard of it.
LOL - DD took 4 years of photog....and yes, she occasionally used film! Our SLR is a film camera....She is hoping to get a DSLR kit for college graduation...

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 PM

13,408 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
I don't think DS thinks it will be a breeze....not sure though. He has taken sculpture every year and really enjoys it...just likes using "the other side" of his brain for a change - plus it's really hands-on which he enjoys - he tends to be pretty tactile. My comment was really just sarcasm directed at some recent conversations that more or less infer that any subject that is not math or science is the horrifying result of lax Western style parenting blah blah blah...

I don't envy your DS's schedule! But it's really cool that he's doing it because HE is pushing himself in a desire to acheive a goal he set for himself.
I know, mm, I really had to hold my tongue in that thread. Obviously I see the benefit in the arty subjects, but I'm trying to not become the resident bore about it. Glad you stick up for both the arts and "lax" Western style parenting.

I got asked today by the homeless place I'm going to volunteer at to give either a weekly class or some workshops on record production to the teens in their education center program that are doing a music elective. Turns out they have a recording studio there. Obviously they think the arts are a good thing for their troubled kids.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I know, mm, I really had to hold my tongue in that thread. Obviously I see the benefit in the arty subjects, but I'm trying to not become the resident bore about it. Glad you stick up for both the arts and "lax" Western style parenting.

I got asked today by the homeless place I'm going to volunteer at to give either a weekly class or some workshops on record production to the teens in their education center program that are doing a music elective. Turns out they have a recording studio there. Obviously they think the arts are a good thing for their troubled kids.
But, they wouldn't be troubled if they didn't have lax Western parents. The thread is a crazy one for sure.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I really wanted to take AP classes, but my guardians wouldn't sign off on it. Out here, your parent has to sign the paper approving your choices, which I hear is not typical in other places. His school has more than two English options? At all four of my high schools you had two English choices until your senior year. They were English I, II, and III and the Honors section of those courses. That year you got to choose between English IV and AP. My schools also didn't have AP Physics or AP Econ. I wish I would have gone to his school.
Seems to me, we have to sign off on his classes too... Our high school is fairly large (2000ish) and offers a good variety of classes (including Chinese! - which actually is offered starting in middle school)....

I think I'd poke out my eyes before taking AP Econ. But that's just me.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
Quote:
Seems to me, we have to sign off on his classes too... Our high school is fairly large (2000ish) and offers a good variety of classes (including Chinese! - which actually is offered starting in middle school)....

I think I'd poke out my eyes before taking AP Econ. But that's just me.
My schools were all close to that size, but they didn't offer a variety of classes at all. My second high school does offer a variety of languages. It has Spanish, French, Latin, and Vietnamese.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I really wanted to take AP classes, but my guardians wouldn't sign off on it. Out here, your parent has to sign the paper approving your choices, which I hear is not typical in other places. His school has more than two English options? At all four of my high schools you had two English choices until your senior year. They were English I, II, and III and the Honors section of those courses. That year you got to choose between English IV and AP. My schools also didn't have AP Physics or AP Econ. I wish I would have gone to his school.
We have to sign off on AP classes and they also have to go to that teacher and they have to be approved. To get into AP English this year, he had to take a test at the end of last year.

Considering English isn't his best subject, he got an B last semester and that's great for him in that subject. I think he was hoping to not have a class next year a little less rigorous. But yes, he has a choice between about 3 full time classes and 3 classes that are each a semester. I'm leaving it up to him to decide. I think he's going to go talk to the AP teacher and get her opinion.

This year he's taking AP Government and really enjoying the class. He's also taking Personal Finance and they have a student teacher helping out that is in his 50's and already has a degree in Economics. So he's taking that slant and with the class. He really likes it. First question he asked me after the first day was what type of mortgage we have on the house! They are discussing the collapse and he's finding it really interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.