Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times

Advertisements

Oh Gosh you guys, this is sooo off the topic, but since so many of my mom friends are here I have a request to make of you...I need you to be thinking some positive thoughts for a family I encountered today. I had to take my teenager to the ER this evening because he seriously dislocated his finger during BB practice. Almost as soon as we got there, a woman rushed in and was let in the back rooms. A few minutes later, she and several other women started screaming and pleading. The woman who ran in was a 7 year old little girl's mom. A troubled mom who was quite absent from her life due to drugs and alcohol (this from a family member I spoke to and gave hugs to in the waiting room) and the little girl had been passed around from family member to family member and was currently staying with an aunt. The aunt and little girl were in a head on collision with another vehicle, the little girl wasn't wearing a seatbelt and died in the ER. OMG y'all it was awful. We were all bawling.....just awful. Think positive thoughts about the family okay....give your kids an extra helping of love, keep all of that little one's "parents" in your heart, please...thanks. Gosh you guys, I can't begin to tell you who awful it was...the pain in that place, the anguish.....bawling now, even as I type. OMG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh Gosh you guys, this is sooo off the topic, but since so many of my mom friends are here I have a request to make of you...I need you to be thinking some positive thoughts for a family I encountered today. I had to take my teenager to the ER this evening because he seriously dislocated his finger during BB practice. Almost as soon as we got there, a woman rushed in and was let in the back rooms. A few minutes later, she and several other women started screaming and pleading. The woman who ran in was a 7 year old little girl's mom. A troubled mom who was quite absent from her life due to drugs and alcohol (this from a family member I spoke to and gave hugs to in the waiting room) and the little girl had been passed around from family member to family member and was currently staying with an aunt. The aunt and little girl were in a head on collision with another vehicle, the little girl wasn't wearing a seatbelt and died in the ER. OMG y'all it was awful. We were all bawling.....just awful. Think positive thoughts about the family okay....give your kids an extra helping of love, keep all of that little one's "parents" in your heart, please...thanks. Gosh you guys, I can't begin to tell you who awful it was...the pain in that place, the anguish.....bawling now, even as I type. OMG!
((((((((beachmel)))))))) I'm so sorry she had such a sad, short life. I will keep everyone in my prayers.

(I just hugged my son without explanation. He's giving me funny looks.)

Old 12-28-2010, 10:55 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Oh that poor child and her poor family and what an absolutely dreadful tragedy.

Makes all the piddling little annoyances we all deal with on a day to day basis seem quite silly, doesn't it?

I just went up and gave my little girl a kiss.

Hugs to you beachmel my friend.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Unless I get fat it will last forever and I can always get even skinnier than I am now, so when I do have kids my weight gain will actually be minimal....I like my theory...

Anywho, laundry aside I think I am getting altitude sickness again, good thing I am leaving vail tomorrow morning.
I hate to break it to you, txt, but carrying children can stretch your skin (ask some skinny moms to show you their belly pooches) and widen your pelvis. This means that you can weigh the same or less as before baby, and still not wear the same size.

Beachmel, that is a terrible story, and I will pray for that poor family and for you. I'm sure witnessing their raw grief was terribly traumatic.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have a question for those of you who wash your towels infrequently, or use them several times before a wash: How is your health? Do you have allergies, get colds often, other? Just curious.

Actually they are probably healthier....most people who keep a reasonable level of hygiene but not the atypical modern obsessive one are exposed to common germs and thus build up immunities. Most of the kids in my kids playgroups have far more basic illnesses then my children do....and generally we all have a similar diet....but they are all sanitizer in the purse moms...so that's pretty much the only thing i can attribute it too.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Unless I get fat it will last forever and I can always get even skinnier than I am now, so when I do have kids my weight gain will actually be minimal....I like my theory...

Anywho, laundry aside I think I am getting altitude sickness again, good thing I am leaving vail tomorrow morning.
Txt i am going to giggle so much when you gain 45 lbs .

Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh that poor child and her poor family and what an absolutely dreadful tragedy.

Makes all the piddling little annoyances we all deal with on a day to day basis seem quite silly, doesn't it?

I just went up and gave my little girl a kiss.

Hugs to you beachmel my friend.
Thank you all for your support and kindness. Yes Finster, it does make those piddly annoyance seem so very silly. Even though my poor son was in pain, he wasn't crying....not until then. I said, "I'm not making light of your finger or anything, but it makes that pain seem pretty insignificant, doesn't it honey?" He said, "Oh God mom, uh, yeah...pretty much... through his choked back tears. Watching the paramedics who'd brought them in, come out crying (2 men, 1 woman), the entire nursing & triage staff doing their best to hold it together to treat all of the other folks in the ER....some of the family members sitting dazed and in shock, in the waiting room....the wailing and pleading...sobbing, going on from some of them. Nothing, nothing....can compare with the overwhelming pain and grief.

As selfish as this sounds though, I was so grateful that we were only there for 1 1/2 hrs, getting triaged, x-rayed, and his finger put back in place. Again, though...even though it seemed like kind of a "big deal" on our way to the hospital, everything was put back into perspective after we walked into the hospital. When I think of what that young mother is going to go through.....having been absent and in her own world, neglecting that little girl, only to have her ripped from her life in such a permanent manner, having lost the opportunity ...permanently...to be a part of her child's life, and now, it's too late.....no more chances.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Thank you all for your support and kindness. Yes Finster, it does make those piddly annoyance seem so very silly. Even though my poor son was in pain, he wasn't crying....not until then. I said, "I'm not making light of your finger or anything, but it makes that pain seem pretty insignificant, doesn't it honey?" He said, "Oh God mom, uh, yeah...pretty much... through his choked back tears. Watching the paramedics who'd brought them in, come out crying (2 men, 1 woman), the entire nursing & triage staff doing their best to hold it together to treat all of the other folks in the ER....some of the family members sitting dazed and in shock, in the waiting room....the wailing and pleading...sobbing, going on from some of them. Nothing, nothing....can compare with the overwhelming pain and grief.

As selfish as this sounds though, I was so grateful that we were only there for 1 1/2 hrs, getting triaged, x-rayed, and his finger put back in place. Again, though...even though it seemed like kind of a "big deal" on our way to the hospital, everything was put back into perspective after we walked into the hospital. When I think of what that young mother is going to go through.....having been absent and in her own world, neglecting that little girl, only to have her ripped from her life in such a permanent manner, having lost the opportunity ...permanently...to be a part of her child's life, and now, it's too late.....no more chances.

The only one i feel any pity for is the little girl not the family who passed her around like a ragdoll.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Beachmel, The little girl and her family are in my prayers. How horrendous.

I have the belief that God puts us in certain places at certain times for a reason. As horrible as all of this was for you to witness it sounds like He needed you there to help comfort the family. I've sat in the E.R. alone (when my Dad had a heart attack) and the thing I needed most was someone there to give me a hug and tell me things would be all right. (Thankfully, he survived.)

So you were there to comfort the family as best you could. Knowing you through your posts I'm sure you helped them with your listening and your sympathetic presence. Now all of us can say a prayer or light a candle or think of this little girl and her family.

You were a blessing to someone yesterday.

(This is why I'm always urging all of us to give our family member a hug and and "I love you". My family has known more than it's fair share of illness and sudden death. You never know what can happen that will change your family forever.)

Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Beachmel - Oh my. I cannot imagine. We will keep them in our prayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting