Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times

Advertisements

I never understood how people can say rap, country, jazz, pop, or any entire genre is bad. How can you write off an entire genre? That's like saying all black people are violent or something. There's just so much variety, even within country/rap/jazz/pop, that it's hard to say that about the entire genre. For example a lot of people complain about how rap has denigrating lyrics, but there are lots of songs with rap in them that are about great topics like
Where is the Love? and
Freestyle in Love. Not all jazz is like "crazy" or "all over the place", for example I've had a lot of people tell me they like music like
this and don't even realize that's jazz too. If a musician's playing is beautiful, or a song is beautiful, then who cares what genre it happens to fit into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I never understood how people can say rap, country, jazz, pop, or any entire genre is bad. How can you write off an entire genre? That's like saying all black people are violent or something. There's just so much variety, even within country/rap/jazz/pop, that it's hard to say that about the entire genre. For example a lot of people complain about how rap has denigrating lyrics, but there are lots of songs with rap in them that are about great topics like Not all jazz is like "crazy" or "all over the place", for example I've had a lot of people tell me they like music like this and don't even realize that's jazz too. If a musician's playing is beautiful, or a song is beautiful, then who cares what genre it happens to fit into?
I completely agree. That is why my music collection is so diverse. I truly like things from *every* genre that I have been introduced to.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,325,889 times
I think it's a great idea to expose your children to music. I wish I had learned to play an instrument.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 AM

119 posts, read 516,367 times
We listen to a variety of music in our house. Mostly, I knew I am doing right with my kids and music when my 7 year old was in the car with us and I turned the music down and she said

"Mom, if you turn it down it's worse....if you turn it up it ROCKS more!" What a proud Mom I am!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
My sons were allowed to listen to anything they want, as I was. But if I hear a curse word in the song, or something un-appropiate that song is never to be played in my home again.

That, is where I draw the line, songs do not need cursing in them.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:22 PM

17 posts, read 25,545 times
Honestly? In my house we listen to rock, metal, punk, industrial...

And that's what I played while I was pregnant. My daughter is only six months but she knows what she likes. If a certain song comes on on the iPod and she doesn't like it, she'll let me know. Or she'll (yell)sing along with it.

One of her favorites is actually Apocalyptica and on another extreme she likes Slayer... not much of a fan of Green Day...

Restrictions on music is silly. They're going to hear foul language in school, and no doubt are going to use it. You need to be the one to not BAN music, but instead to make it clear that those words are not to be used in respectful and adult conversation... And also make it clear that you're not stupid and are very well aware that they use it in the presence of their friends. (We're talking preteen-teenagers here)

Young children I wouldn't really worry too much about. Yea, they repeat what they hear, but again you have to be sure to just tell them "No" when they use foul words.

Unfortunately curses are used around here as nouns, verbs, adjectives and what have you... Sentence enhancers if you will! In our own personal setting that is... But we have stopped a lot since our daughter is starting the "Mamamamama" "Dadadadada" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting