Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Ehhhhh...high school is kind of stupid fantasy land with a bunch of immature louts running around full of angst about problems that don't really matter.

I actually had a lot friends in high school, but I also found most people to be boring and provincial.

College was a much more interesting time for me socially.

If the kid is happy and has things he/she likes to do, is a good team player despite not having a raging social life, and does well in school, I don't much think I'd worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
You know I would not worry about it because let me tell you in ten yrs you wont even remember half the peoples names you went to high school with and those you do are probably in prison , nah just kidding but seriously life improves greatly after high school . High school is full of immature jerks who grow up to be immature jerks and raise immature jerks and crotch mouths . So dont worry if you move away from where you went to high school chances are you wont even see these people anymore anyways . Who knows maybe you might make friends later on down the road , if not oh well life is okay without friends too you know .

Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
If you have online friends & interests, I believe that counts, too! While you do want to make sure you have IRL people skills, if you're connecting with folks online, those are friends! The world is changing - the way we make friends and why we consider someone a friend is changing, too!
I don't think it's the same as having friends in real life.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 19,049 times
I currently do not have any close friends at the moment,all the friends that I had made in the last few years have either,gone to a different school,or I do not have class with them anymore so I never see them anymore,so it's time for me to make some new friends. There is nothing but troublemakers at my bus stop,but I guess can make more of an effort to make friends there,we have assigned seats on the bus and I sit by myself,but again I guess I could talk to people on the bus,as soon as I get to school,the bell rings for the first class in a few minutes so that leaves me no time to try to make friends before school,during classes most of the time we're not allowed to talk because either the teacher is teaching,or we're doing a test/classwork,but again I guess I can make more of an effort to try to make friends during class,I work in the cafeteria during both lunches,but there is someone stealing in that class,and I again choose to sit in eat lunch by myself,then after school,I only have a few mintues to catch my bus and I do not hang out with anyone outside of school.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:03 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I would be a little concerned that my child had no school friends IF my child was concerned. If you are going to college, I hope it is large enough to have a good cross section of kids with a variety of interests. If you are not planning on college, then you should follow your interests, and you will encounter others who share them.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:58 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,824 times
Don't worry about it and just do what you want. I agree with some others that college is more of a time that you will make friends if you get involved in things. You will find more people that are like you. You will be saying goodbye to many friends that you make in high school anyway once you graduate.

There are so many little things people worry about in the fantasy land called high school that, looking back, were quite stupid. Eat lunch by yourself and read a book, do homework, listen to music, don't worry about what others think. If you let it bug you then others will notice too.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousGirl View Post
I currently do not have any close friends at the moment,all the friends that I had made in the last few years have either,gone to a different school,or I do not have class with them anymore so I never see them anymore,so it's time for me to make some new friends. There is nothing but troublemakers at my bus stop,but I guess can make more of an effort to make friends there,we have assigned seats on the bus and I sit by myself,but again I guess I could talk to people on the bus,as soon as I get to school,the bell rings for the first class in a few minutes so that leaves me no time to try to make friends before school,during classes most of the time we're not allowed to talk because either the teacher is teaching,or we're doing a test/classwork,but again I guess I can make more of an effort to try to make friends during class,I work in the cafeteria during both lunches,but there is someone stealing in that class,and I again choose to sit in eat lunch by myself,then after school,I only have a few mintues to catch my bus and I do not hang out with anyone outside of school.
Yes, I wouldn't worry about it - if you want friends, they don't have to be from school - they can be from outside of school activities. Once high school is over, often the friends go their separate ways.

In college, you tend to meet more people and find yourself with people you have more in common with. It's a whole different environment. I think it can be better to get involved in something you like and make friends you meet in that. Sometimes family members are also friends and depending on how many friends you need, they can be more than enough.

High school is just weird - it's a artificial environment - and won't be recreated again. Some people thrive in it - and never in the rest of their lives will things be as good as they were in high school for them. Others just get through it and the rest of their lives are what's interesting and where they'll meet people who share similar interests.

The workplace is a completely different setting than high school - once you get a job, you'll meet completely different people and have different friendship needs. At work you're not stuck with just one age group, your friends can be more varied.

Also some people never really are "teenagers", they don't fit in with the teenage group and it's particular drama. They go from childhood to adulthood and so don't fit in with teens even when they are in the age group. They socialize better with fellow adults - or with children.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
It could be the situation you're in. Your surroundings make quite a difference. I remember, for instance, that when I was growing up in school, there were times and stages when I either had a lot of friends or no close friends, depending on where I went.

If you're in a school where the culture is such that hardly anyone shares your interests, then it can be a problem. It's especially so for the more "bookish" people, who might have a hard time finding common ground, but might easily find friends to match interests with upon entering the wider world (since there's a larger range of people to possibly interact with rather than only being boxed in with those who you happen to take classes with).

Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
In my teen years I had changed highschools midway. The second high school I only made one friend. I was not fond of anyone in that school and it was my sister who made more friends. The high school I went had way too many students and cliques. I stood by myself most of the time, reading and writing until I had a boyfriend. But even then that wasn't so nice. So I say to you, Do not fret over not having friends in high school. As one poster stated college will be a different experience. I have made more friends during the time I went to university and to work than I did in high school. Those relationships became more meaningful and lasting.

I wish you all the best.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
What about joining a club or team after school? Drama is a great way to make new friends. There must be activities that appeal to you. If you do something you enjoy you will naturally meet people and make friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting