Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually plastic devices to contain children weren't nearly as prevelant in the 60's as they are today. I think you're remembering the wrong years. Plastic wasn't nearly as prevalent back then.

I bet if you were to find some old store catalogs you wouldn't find plastic walkers, car seats, swings, and baby holders - just some cribs, playpens and strollers.
Good point--nothing was plastic. Tonka trucks and toy cars were metal, not plastic, too. Even shampoo came in glass bottles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If you go to hell for using Hormel "heat and serve" mashed potatoes I hope you will all start praying for my soul.
I will! Lord have Mercy!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:02 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I will! Lord have Mercy!
Pray for me as well MightyQueen cause I think I have a one way ticket to hell!

My mom did all her mash potatoes by scratch until she had her fourth child and then that did it in.

Since then and now as an adult we have become more creative with mash potatoes.

The laundry thing----for a very very long time my mom did all our wash at home with an old fashion washing machine. Then she upgraded to something new. She never ever had a dryer and hung our clothes out on the clothes line that connected from one apartment building to another. She use to curse the snow days and the windy days because it meant having to hang ALL the clothes on the radiator pipes, bathtub and hangers.

Another laundry moment came when my great uncle X who was a famous Philly boxer was very ill. We went to his house in Philly and he had a hospital bed set up in the living room. It had a big yellow bag attached to it and we use to pretend to 'box' it until he woke up and yelled "Leave my urine bag alone!" You would have thought another adult would have warned us! Then we ran into the laundry room where they really had an old washing machine that you crank to ring the excess water out and I remember my great aunt X doing clothes in it and my sister asking to help out. My great aunt X promised when great uncle X died she would give my sister the machine cause she was going to by herself a fancy maytag with the insurance money Ha!

Last edited by CD's Only Mrs. X; 12-30-2010 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: didnt realize I used a bad word

Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It took me until I was in my 30's until I could bring myself to buy a can of frosting. It feels like I'm cheating or something. I remember saying that once and my friend's daughter said, "So how else do you get frosting for your cake?"

And I will NEVER EVER use instant mashed potatoes. I think you go to hell for that.
That's too funny! OMG LMAO!! I can't TELL you the things my kids' friends have remarked on like that. Well how do you make a cake without a cake mix? I didn't know you could DO that! Oh! You MAKE your own frosting? I thought you had to buy it in those can thingies! LOL One taste of my homemade frosting and they can't BELIEVE that frosting can taste SO GOOD! I will admit, if it's on sale, daughter will by some just to keep it in the cupboard for an emergency dessert....cake mixes as well, but I can't stand ready-made frosting. Ick!

Dew Drop...I'm prayin for you honey, I am..on those instant mashed potatoes. There was a time, when I was working waaaay too many hours, that I actually would buy the occasional professional sized can of Trio-instant mashed potatoes, (fantastic potatoes by the way), but the price has gotten so prohibitive that I quit buying them. They are mighty handy to have on hand for things like refrigerator roll recipes, soup thickener, etc. They are especially excellent for a quick and easy creamy potato soup!! Fry up your bacon, onions, celery, carrots...toss it in a pot with chicken stock (chicken soup base), season, add some milk, whisk in some mash potato pearls til thick enough....voila! If you're going to hell DDI, I'm gonna be right there with ya!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:09 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Y'all crack me up!! Dang it, I've GOT to get back into that kitchen. I've got a whole lot of prep and baking to do for NE eve and day! I was previewing a couple more appetizer recipes and of course, just HAD to peek in and see what y'all were talking about. Okay.....hehe...got to get back to the kitchen! LOL You people are a terrible influence....TERRIBLE!! Your company is horribly addicting! LOL Love you all......off to the kitchen!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Pray for me as well MightyQueen cause I think I have a one way ticket to hell!

My mom did all her mash potatoes by scratch until she had her fourth child and then that did it in.

Since then and now as an adult we have become more creative with mash potatoes.

The laundry thing----for a very very long time my mom did all our wash at home with an old fashion washing machine. Then she upgraded to something new. She never ever had a dryer and hung our clothes out on the clothes line that connected from one apartment building to another. She use to curse the snow days and the windy days because it meant having to hang ALL the clothes on the radiator pipes, bathtub and hangers.

Another laundry moment came when my great uncle X who was a famous Philly boxer was very ill. We went to his house in Philly and he had a hospital bed set up in the living room. It had a big yellow bag attached to it and we use to pretend to 'box' it until he woke up and yelled "Leave my urine bag alone!" You would have thought another adult would have warned us! Then we ran into the laundry room where they really had an old washing machine that you crank to ring the excess water out and I remember my great aunt X doing clothes in it and my sister asking to help out. My great aunt X promised when great uncle X died she would give my sister the machine cause she was going to by herself a fancy maytag with the insurance money Ha!
Save me a seat in Hell because my Italian friends swear I'm going there for using jarred sauce.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Does anyone remember chicken pox parties? Or eating mudpies?

I really believe that children's immune systems were exposed to a broader spectrum of pathogens in those days. We rarely got sick unless it was one of the childhood diseases that children are vaccinated against today. We had it all: measles (both kinds), mumps, chicken pox. I remember intentionally exposing my little sister to chicken pox when she was about 4 because I figured it was better to go ahead and get it over with. I was so wise at the age of six!

I don't remember anyone having the allergies that seem to be so common these days, and I wonder if it wasn't all those mudpies that we ate!
I have never quite accepted this "dirt" theory, and of course, it's not quite as simple as the media have made it out to be. Many people died of bacterial and viral diseases "back then", contracted from contaminated food and water. I'm not a fan of chickenpox parties; you never know who is going to get severe complications from it.

Quote:
That was very common. I don't know how many stories I've heard of mothers "back then" tying their children to the legs of the kitchen table with a cloth diaper or dish cloth. I told this to someone just a few days ago and she gave me the "I don't believe you for a second" look. But 'tis true!
My mom used to tie my brother and I to the front porch b/c we lived up the street from a steel mill. The semis would travel up and down our street all day long. With us tied up, she could do her housework w/o worrying that we would run out in the street. This was in the early 50s.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:07 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Love it! Those were the days! I didn't grow up in the 60's cause I am a late 70's early 80's baby but I remember my mom using a play pen and my siblings were in it until about the age of 2. The car seat thing, I remember my family and I always looked like either the clowns in the back of a clown car and then we upgraded to a van so we rocked it like we were the Huxtables. We were never ever strapped in and we were always doing something idiotic in the window. I don't know how we never got stopped by the cops.

I'm reading this stuff to my daughter (who just got home from work), and she's lying on the bed roaring with laughter. What were those "idiotic" things you did in the window, she wants to know?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My mom used to tie my brother and I to the front porch b/c we lived up the street from a steel mill. The semis would travel up and down our street all day long. With us tied up, she could do her housework w/o worrying that we would run out in the street. This was in the early 50s.
So! A first person account! How are you doing psychologically? (I'd be more worried about what you were breathing from the steel mill and the exhaust from the semis going past your house.)

Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
So! A first person account! How are you doing psychologically? (I'd be more worried about what you were breathing from the steel mill and the exhaust from the semis going past your house.)
Well, there are a lot of people on CD who think I need psychiatric help, but aside from that, I'm fine, psychologically.

My mom grew up on a farm; maybe that gave her the idea for tying us up, IDK. We did move away from that area when I was 7, not so much for "health" reasons but for a nicer environment. We still lived in the same town, just farther from the mill. She didn't leave us tied up there on the porch all day, either.

I was thinking with the talk about clothes dryers, I think my mom embraced the dryer b/c she had to hang clothes out in that dirty air. People heated a lot with coal back then, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting