Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
My daughter took home ec last year in 9th grade. It was very much like when I took in in 9th grade except instead of having to turn in a recipe box, she had to turn in a Word document of recipes. She made fettucini alfredo, steamed brocolli and floating island (that was a throw back) for final meal. She learned to sew on buttons, hem pants and skirts, tighten a drippy faucet and even how to change a light switch to a dimmer switch.
That sounds like a great class! I was suprised to find that my kids' high schools (oldest and 2nd, who is in HS now, went/go to different ones) don't offer any HomeEc at all. I'm not even sure they built a HomeEc room in the new HS here. It's a shame, because those are good skills your DD learned. Dh and I have taught our kids, but I know many kids don't get taught that stuff at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 05:18 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile A memory my husband always talk about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes!!

If there is anyone here who grew up watching "Engineer Bill", "Sheriff John" or "Popeye the Sailor Man hosted by Tom Hatten" you are now feeling so warm and loved and overcome by happy memories you are heading for the fridge to grab a big glass of milk to play "Red Light, Green Light".

Those men were GODS in TV in Los Angeles in the 50's and 60's. GODS!!
He grew up in Miami and there was a show like this - he's not here right now - can't remember - but it was Miami in the 60's and he got to be on the show once and he still remembers!!

Also, I have many pictures of his dear mom holding him. He was an only child and she was a SAHM until he was 6. After that, he was a latch key child (which he calls himself). I have a lot of pictures of them together at the beach - so beautiful then! He had a tiny house; I have a feeling no playpen either.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Smile Mending and sewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I remember when we used to wander all over the place, too - not just in the neighborhood, but in the surrounding fields and woods (there were a lot of them then). I remember once my friends and I tried to climb a nearby rock quarry. I almost made it to the top, then slipped, and slid down the side of it. I went home without much skin left on my body (I was 13 at the time). My mother's reaction? She found me an occupation much better suited to a "young lady". Sewing class!!!!! I had to spend two evenings a week that summer in sewing class. I would have preferred two beatings a week as punishment. I never learned to sew, and to this day wouldn't touch a sewing machine if my life depended on it. But I still love to rock climb!

Edit: Did anybody else's mother INSIST they needed to learn to sew (mend and/or MAKE their own clothes???)
My one sister wanted a sewing machine when she was 7. At that time, yes, at 7, she started making her own clothes. Very talented. Today - she cooks, does interior decorating for people, does whatever it has to do with anything creative. (I had poor vision so I got out of it but I wished I had learned).

How about piano lessons?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Smile Childhood memories - innocence

Until I was 11, we lived outside of Chicago in a suburb but then further out in the country. It wasn't like we had next door neighbors. We were on a large piece of land and that was our playground. Sometimes, friends would come over but they had to be driven over so I'm sure their parents didn't want to go that far!

Then, we moved to Florida to a real neighborhood where we had neighbors all around us. It was a new city - about 10 years old - and homes were still being built. I think most people met with a builder and got the home built.

There were 16 homes on our street and 48 kids. I thought we were in heaven. Play, play, play. Baseball games all the time. You always ended up at one house or another. Parents knew you; you knew them. You didn't want to do anything bad b/c Mrs. Smith would tell your mom. It's like the forces were aligned. We didn't watch TV 24/7 and maybe just one or 2 shows a night, that was it. We spent time as a family. There were 4 of us kids.

What's interesting - this is over 35 years ago and 6 of those 16 families still live there on that street. Maybe we were more innocent b/c we were not watching TV all that much and when we did, it was for fun.

It started to change (here, anyway) in the 70's when they forced families to go to different schools (some families had 5 kids in 5 different ones) - there were bomb threats, all that - I think, around that time, it was like innocence lost. Of course, by that time, we just wanted to be like someone on TV.

When I had my kids, I looked very hard for a neighborhood like how I grew up and even though times are different, I did find one. I used to tell my daughter to go outside and just find some friends (with her brother, of course) - we would walk around the neighborhood (she would see a tree - and say, that's a great climbing tree - can I? and she did). At least, until she was 14, she had a great childhood. (Then, high school came for her and the moods came with it).

Thanks for all the memories! I think sometimes we just pack them away!!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
He grew up in Miami and there was a show like this - he's not here right now - can't remember - but it was Miami in the 60's and he got to be on the show once and he still remembers!!

Also, I have many pictures of his dear mom holding him. He was an only child and she was a SAHM until he was 6. After that, he was a latch key child (which he calls himself). I have a lot of pictures of them together at the beach - so beautiful then! He had a tiny house; I have a feeling no playpen either.
Wonderama, Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo and Soupy Sales were all popular tv shows in the Northeast. On Sunday morning the only tv station that didn't have a church service on showed Davey and Goliath, a puppet-like show heavy on morals. It came on right after the Farm report!

Sesame Street was pretty popular with my kids, but the middle one loved Mr Rogers best.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Soupy Sales! Even our parents watched Soupy. Doing the "Soupy Shuffle" is still one of my party tricks. (Pookie was my favorite. White Fang not so much.)

Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM

Smile Name of the show

Channel 4 in Miami (CBS)

Popeye Playhouse in Miami with Chuck Zink

He says it was on at 5 PM.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:48 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Soupy Sales! Even our parents watched Soupy. Doing the "Soupy Shuffle" is still one of my party tricks. (Pookie was my favorite. White Fang not so much.)

OMG Soupy rocked! I don't remember the Soupy Shuffle, though. I DO remember The Mouse. (P.S. - were you one of the kids who sent him those "little green pieces of paper" ? )

Old 01-10-2011, 04:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
OMG Soupy rocked! I don't remember the Soupy Shuffle, though. I DO remember The Mouse. (P.S. - were you one of the kids who sent him those "little green pieces of paper" ? )
No.

(All the babies reading this thread have no idea what we are talking about. Sometimes I love being old. Did you know that Soupy's son married Tyrone Power's daughter? Tis true!)

Old 01-10-2011, 05:00 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
No.

(All the babies reading this thread have no idea what we are talking about. Sometimes I love being old. Did you know that Soupy's son married Tyrone Power's daughter? Tis true!)
Was that Hunt? I knew him in the late 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting