Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I balled my eyes out watching ET--on a first date! He thought I was nuts. My dog didnt like him. That was the first clue...

I always listen to my dogs now! They're smarter than me!
Smart move.

I laughed out loud during Jaws. Then ate a hot dog in the cutting-open-the-shark scene. I've been around the ocean my whole life and knew full well what a shark ate. The girls I was with were not amused. Sharks I can handle. Kids loosing their dog - not so much. (Though the scene where the mother lost her son in Jaws... That got me pretty teary. I still fast forward through that scene.)

You know, I think I cried during ET also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 02:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
I think labeling everything is just too commonplace these days. Why does it mean something is wrong with her, other than she doesn't enjoy it? Why would someone jump to "therapy" right away or feel that this is a problem that needs to be fixed?

Some people don't like the color pink. Perhaps shock treatment would make them "better". I have a friend that doesn't like green vegetables. Of any sort. 50 years ago, once she reached adulthood, people would've shrugged their shoulders and turned away. Now, therapy is suggested. Ridiculous.

I don't enjoy movies at the theater, never have. I never saw a therapist. I just don't see a lot of films until I can watch them at home. Even then, most of the time I pass. I just don't like TV/movies very much. Quick! Load me up on meds before someone finds out!

The bigger problem seems to be the OPs problem with her children wanting to only do things together and trying to "fix" a child's preferences to match her own. Not everyone likes the same thing. Get over it.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
And it shows in your posts!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
I laughed out loud during Jaws. Then ate a hot dog in the cutting-open-the-shark scene. I've been around the ocean my whole life and knew full well what a shark ate. The girls I was with were not amused. Sharks I can handle. Kids loosing their dog - not so much. (Though the scene where the mother lost her son in Jaws... That got me pretty teary. I still fast forward through that scene.)

I remember Jaws coming out....Dew - do you (or anyone else) remember a movie (which had some spoofs on the Jaws theme) called "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"? That was made (at least partially) by some kids at my high school....very campy...

Old 12-31-2010, 02:18 PM

13,421 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The bigger problem seems to be the OPs problem with her children wanting to only do things together and trying to "fix" a child's preferences to match her own. Not everyone likes the same thing. Get over it.
I didn't get this impression from the OP at all. It seemed to me like she was wondering if not liking movies is something her daughter will grow out of. Didn't appear like she was trying to make the child like the same things. Not really something she needs to "get over" - others were making a big deal out of it, not the OP.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I don't enjoy movies at the theater, never have. I never saw a therapist. I just don't see a lot of films until I can watch them at home. Even then, most of the time I pass. I just don't like TV/movies very much. Quick! Load me up on meds before someone finds out!
Help is on the way! I called! The nice people with straight jackets should be at your house shortly!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
they were 3months and 7 months when adopted.

We don't force them to do anyting at all.

In October I took oone to get a haircut while other one staedhome to ride bikes with Dad. After haircut I said want to go next door and get ice cream? She replied "No it wouldn't be fun without Sister." That is how close they are.

She has always been sound sensitive. public restroom toilets are really loud and it took forever to get her used to that. As a 3 year old she walked along the beach with her fingers in her ears.

I read The out of Sync Child and asked school to test her. Everything is OK. Guess she just doesn;t like movies. I'm not worried and it helps to hear that lots of kids and adults have the same issues.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I remember Jaws coming out....Dew - do you (or anyone else) remember a movie (which had some spoofs on the Jaws theme) called "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"? That was made (at least partially) by some kids at my high school....very campy...
Really? I love that movie! Cult classic.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Yep...the convenience store clerk that gets blown up? My youth group leader....

Old 12-31-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I read The out of Sync Child and asked school to test her. Everything is OK. Guess she just doesn;t like movies. I'm not worried and it helps to hear that lots of kids and adults have the same issues.
Back to the topic at hand...

I was a very sensitive child. Everything must have been multiplied somewhere in my brain. There are things, like bright lights, I still have problems with. (The good news is I can practically see in the dark.) But the older I got the more I learnd to cope with the fact that the world didn't slow down (or turn down the lights) just because I had a problem. And I adjusted.

The dark rides at Disneyland freaked me out. Dogs feaked me out. Now I love both.

The most creative people I know would all say they were sensitive as kids. I came to look at it as a plus. (Read Truman Capote and watch his old interviews.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting