Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM

163 posts, read 390,868 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time mom with a 2 month old to has a feflux (spitting up) issue. Her pediatritian perscribed Zantac and said we should leave her is a sitting up position for a whole hour after she eats, but sometimes that doesn't even help. She spits up a lot, but she is gaining weight properly and she actualy thinks its funny when she does it. She laughs and giggles when shes done.Have any of you ever delt with an issue like this and do you have any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
We had this too. The best advice is feeding lesser amounts, more often. The reflux kicks in when their stomach reaches a certain full level, and since you said she's gaining weight despite throwing up so much perhaps she's overeating - yes babies can overeat no matter what people say!

Yes it's a lot more work and may mean a longer wait for them to sleep through the night but I wanted to do whatever it took to avoid turning to Zantac and other meds.

We also started using Dr Browns bottles which made a difference, with the adde bonus of reducing the amount of air he swallows.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 PM

500 posts, read 748,303 times
My preemie twins had reflux and it was very tough in the beginning, meds, then feeding, then meds for the other, then feeding, yikes! But it definitely does get better as they grow, that's the good news.

I didn't know about natural alternatives at the time so I used the meds (Reglan and Zantac at the time). I also gave them some 'tummy time', supervised of course, so this only works for day feedings. I would warm up a cloth diaper and apply it to their tummies while holding them over my shoulder if they really seemed in distress. Also, I was told, not to rock them while feeding as this could increase the reflux. Hope any of this can help. It will get better.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
We had this too. The best advice is feeding lesser amounts, more often. The reflux kicks in when their stomach reaches a certain full level, and since you said she's gaining weight despite throwing up so much perhaps she's overeating - yes babies can overeat no matter what people say!

Yes it's a lot more work and may mean a longer wait for them to sleep through the night but I wanted to do whatever it took to avoid turning to Zantac and other meds.

We also started using Dr Browns bottles which made a difference, with the adde bonus of reducing the amount of air he swallows.
I second Chicagojlo...feeding lesser amounts more often and consider using Dr Browns bottles or something that reduces the amount of air swallow.

My sister had one who constantly spit up but they never used meds. It was a change of amount of feeding and bottles.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
at least she's happy about it all. I'd rather have a happy barfer than a constantly crying colic baby. that is when you want to pull your hair out. Congrats on your new baby. sleep when she does and forget ever having a clean house again for the next 18 years.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
My daughter had projectile vomiting. The stuff would FLY across the room.

Turned out she was allergic to the formula. They switched her to soy and she stopped vomiting and didn't even spit up anymore.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
at least she's happy about it all. I'd rather have a happy barfer than a constantly crying colic baby.
Totally funny! That certainly puts it into perspective! My son was colic. OMG. It was a rough few months.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
Mine was both. Yay. Actually the colic was lactose overload which was connected to the overfeeding and reflux. Changing to a lactose sensitive formula and the Dr Browns and reducing intake/increasing intervals took care of both pretty much.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
My 2nd baby spit up a lot, but she gained weight fine and didn't seem upset by it, so my doctor said it wasn't a problem and she was just a "happy spitter". It was just a laundry issue, but nothing to really worry about too much other than that.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Our son, who is now 5, had severe acid reflux. He wouldnt really spit up, but always have to swallow and the irritation of stuff coming up made him cry a lot. He couldnt sleep more than about 20 minutes at a time and had to sleep in a car seat up right until 7 months old. We tried the Amby swing, and he didnt do too well with that. The Doctor gave him Zantac and that didnt help....then folllowed with Prevacid and that helped the best of all as it reduced the amount of acid coming up. Not sure if this was connected to his food allergies, but he was and still is allergic to milk, egg and peanuts. As other have said, the best is too feed the baby little amounts at a time, switch to a special bottle with less air swallowing, and we used nutramagen forumula which has the protein broken down.

--Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting