Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Wearing an outfit from the store was a very smart move! You did your homework, and deserve that job. Congratulations and good luck to you, and also your friend - sometimes we have to learn things the hard way.
Sometimes stores care if you wear their clothes to the interview. However, coming from years of retail experience, many stores would not even consider an applicant dressed that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 11:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Sometimes stores care if you wear their clothes to the interview. However, coming from years of retail experience, many stores would not even consider an applicant dressed that way.
Yeah, but I think txtqueen is talking about American Eagle. That corporation does want applicants who are wearing their clothes.

AE is all about trendy. Employees even dress like that in the AE corporate headquarters located here in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Here's a newspaper article on dress codes for 11 retailers. AE encourages employees to wear AE clothing:

Quote:
American Eagle Outfitters
AE-branded clothes are preferred but not required. "I wear Banana Republic all the time and get away with it," one employee boasted, but then added that he can't advertise any logos for competing brands. Tattoos and piercings are generally tolerated, and the company does not photograph its employees or job applicants.

How Ten Other Retailers’ Dress Codes Compare to American Apparel -- The Cut

Old 01-13-2011, 01:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yeah, but I think txtqueen is talking about American Eagle. That corporation does want applicants who are wearing their clothes.

AE is all about trendy. Employees even dress like that in the AE corporate headquarters located here in Pittsburgh.
Yes, that is true. However, most stores would not accept a person who dressed like that for an interview. It applies to very few stores. None of the stores I worked for would hire that person.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:08 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yes, that is true. However, most stores would not accept a person who dressed like that for an interview. It applies to very few stores. None of the stores I worked for would hire that person.
Depends on what store though.
Retail stores you are better off buying an outfit from that store and wearing it to the interview.

Like Hot Topic, I would never apply but if I did, I would wear something that Hot Topic sold or something that portrayed that image.
Most clothing stores do not tolerate you wearing any other companies clothes to work. I once work a Hollister t-shirt to AE and you couldn't see the whole shirt under my hoodie but since the hoodie was this weird v-neck type deal you could see PART of the cursive writing on the shirt, like the loop of one of the L's in Hollister and my manager MADE me buy a new shirt from the store because she "could just tell" where it was from.

When applying to retail and good rule of thumb is to wear to the interview what the associates wear to work, make sure you visit on a weekend and a week day to make sure they don't dress dressier on the weekends (like bbb does) and if they do dress dressier on the weekends then go with that.

Typically anywhere else go business casual or if its a big job then dress business.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:13 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
If I was a store manager or hiring manager they'd have to make a really good impression if they came over/underdressed, yes even over dressed. In my opinion it shows they don't know what they are doing if they are over dressed. It like, "Oh I was told to do X, Y and Z and therefore I do it and can't think for myself", dress the part, I wouldn't go for an interview at Hollister wearing Hot Topic clothes and I wouldn't go for an interview at Hot Topic wearing Hollister and I wouldn't interview at best buy in jeans and hoodie.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
A LOT of kids are clueless when it comes to this stuff.
I spent high school doing DECA and learned a lot from all that plus I was a 90's kid, most 90's kids aren't as corrupted and clueless as say idk the teens of today, we're kind of like the last semi-normal generation.
ROTFL No, you are not semi-normal, txt...

Old 01-16-2011, 11:42 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
If I was a store manager or hiring manager they'd have to make a really good impression if they came over/underdressed, yes even over dressed. In my opinion it shows they don't know what they are doing if they are over dressed. It like, "Oh I was told to do X, Y and Z and therefore I do it and can't think for myself", dress the part, I wouldn't go for an interview at Hollister wearing Hot Topic clothes and I wouldn't go for an interview at Hot Topic wearing Hollister and I wouldn't interview at best buy in jeans and hoodie.

Eh txt i think prs13 might just know a bit more than you do in this department. And for the record one of my good friends manages the local hot topic and she told me she won't hire anyone who comes in dressed such as you said because it shows they aren't professional.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Eh txt i think prs13 might just know a bit more than you do in this department. And for the record one of my good friends manages the local hot topic and she told me she won't hire anyone who comes in dressed such as you said because it shows they aren't professional.
Txtqueen did just land a full time retail job with full benefits.

She even landed this job during the after-Christmas layoff season, which is a very hard time to find a retail job, let alone a full time one with benefits!

That makes her the one with successful first hand experience on how to dress when interviewing for a retail position.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Txtqueen did just land a full time retail job with full benefits.

She even landed this job during the after-Christmas layoff season, which is a very hard time to find a retail job, let alone a full time one with benefits!

That makes her the one with successful first hand experience on how to dress when interviewing for a retail position.

LOL hopes i take everything txt tells us with a grain of salt. For all you know she knows the manager and just got in because of that. And prs13 and my friend both have decades more expierience than txtqueen on the matter so i will tend to defer to them rather than a 21 year old girl who can never seem to hold down a job long term. And i always did my job hunting after christmas hopes and got a job....many retail places....*esp places like hot topic,american eagle, etc etc that tend to have college and high school kids working there* hire after christmas because they often like to shed dead wood, or just don't kids who come back after christmas break. In fact cracking open my paper shows those exact places in the now hiring section. So her getting a job this time of year isn't the miracle you seem, to think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting