Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Bosco

In our house it's Ovaltine - chocolate malt flavored. DH loves it...
Ah... OK. My husband drank a lot of that growing up, too. Evidently it's big overseas - or at least it was back in the 70's when he was a kid. His mother literally bought Ovaltime by the case. Even in the 90's when I met my husband, she always had at least a case of ovaltine in her pantry. She would get the malt flavored one that had less sugar than the normal variety. She would always complain about how American foods had too much sugar in them. I think she bought her stash at an Asian grocery store.

Anyway - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Oh Mango's are one of my husband's favorite thing's. He grew up overseas where he say's the fruit is so much better than what we have here in the states. He and his family had mango trees and they'd pull them right off the tree, sometimes sitting in the tree, and eat them, juices running all down their arms and chin's.

You are so lucky to live in place where those wonderful foods will grow. I'm lucky to get a good tomato crop here in Western Oregon! We do get some amazing berries, apples, grapes, and pears though. And mushrooms and truffles, and wine! I loooooove mushrooms. I recently discovered fresh maitake mushrooms (some people call it "Hen of the Woods") while we were at our Farmer's Market - I nearly passed out the first time I tasted them. I'd never tasted anything so delicious in my life.
I think that all climates produce foods that are good, but different from other climates. While mangoes, coconuts and oranges grow well here in FL we cannot grow apples, plums, peaches, pears or grapes (at least not near Fort Lauderdale). Tomatoes are a chore although you can grow them here.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think she bought her stash at an Asian grocery store.
A great place to buy fruits and vegetables. Also stores that cater to the Hispanic community. They'll have things you cannot buy anywhere else and, in L.A. at least, cheaper prices.

I've spent a lot of time in stores pointing at things and using Pidgin Vietnamese or Spanglish to find out how to prepare hem.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Here is one of my favorite veggie recipes....I make this semi-frequently and eat it for lunch...DS likes it as a dip with chips..

Veggie Chili Beans and Rice with Chili Garlic Chips — Pinch My Salt

Also it's inexpensive....(yes txtqueen this would be a good one for you...lots of nutritional bang for the buck...and easy to make)

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-17-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 04:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A great place to buy fruits and vegetables. Also stores that cater to the Hispanic community. They'll have things you cannot buy anywhere else and, in L.A. at least, cheaper prices.

I've spent a lot of time in stores pointing at things and using Pidgin Vietnamese or Spanglish to find out how to prepare hem.
Ethnic stores are great. Here we obviously have plenty of Hispanic stores. We also have a really nice Asian supermarket. It has a lot of the Filipino things my husband loves for cheaper than other places. Of course, it smells like fish.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think "no coconuts" is a weather thing for Southern California.

psr: Go to Cal State Fullerton's Spring plant sale. It's at the Arboretum on the East side of campus. (Or maybe you have been?) Anyway, it's a huge too-doo and there are acres of plants to choose from. There are clinics. And the sellers are full of good info. I never planted a mango tree but I've planted plenty of citrus trees in tubs.
I'm thinking it gets too cold and is too dry for coconuts here.

We have a tangerine tree, a lemon tree, and two orange trees in the backyard. You can't grow mango trees in tubs because they are really big. We're looking into ordering for a dwarf pomegranate tree, though.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:53 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,075 times
Interesting thread. My kids are always battling irregularity and neither one likes much fruit - apples, if they are "perfect" and one will eat strawberries. They both like avocado, which has lots of fiber so we do a lot of guacamole. I also add Benefiber powder to their beverages two or three times a day and generally use Barilla Plus pasta which is multigrain with high fiber. I also give them Cracklin Oat Bran cereal for snacks. Any other suggestions? TIA

Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Here is one of my favorite veggie recipes....I make this semi-frequently and eat it for lunch...DS likes it as a dip with chips..

Veggie Chili Beans and Rice with Chili Garlic Chips — Pinch My Salt

Also it's inexpensive....(yes txtqueen this would be a good one for you...lots of nutritional bang for the buck...and easy to make)
thanks! I'm printing it right now. I did a meatless Monday today. We just had pasta with meatless sauce. DH had chicken for lunch though.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
LOL - rkb I am eating this right now. Made some this afternoon....What I really like about it is it's very hearty and lots of flavor!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Interesting thread. My kids are always battling irregularity and neither one likes much fruit - apples, if they are "perfect" and one will eat strawberries. They both like avocado, which has lots of fiber so we do a lot of guacamole. I also add Benefiber powder to their beverages two or three times a day and generally use Barilla Plus pasta which is multigrain with high fiber. I also give them Cracklin Oat Bran cereal for snacks. Any other suggestions? TIA
Nuts and Raisins. Have them eat a handful mix of both with every meal. Or just make a nut and raisin mix for them to snack on throughout the day. You'd be amazed at how 'regular' you become when you have nuts and raisins every day. Both are fiber food, but nuts are hard fiber and raisins are soft fiber, meaning nuts don't absorb water and raisins do absorb water. You need both types to move everything through the digestive system. Both types help keep the 'waste' from being too hard or too soft too. Make sure they drink water too. Water rushes to the intestins and prevents constipation too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting