Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:12 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
When I were a lad, we ad a thing called imagination, it were developed by playing with toys that was quiet and simple.
Now Christmas is past, how are you feeling about all those noise making toys? I tend to feel an urge to remove all the batteries.
By giving toys that are almost all noisy, are we not destroying a child’s ability to develop an imagination properly?
I’m sure the words to those nursery rhymes are wrong!
I don't think ALL toys w/ batteries are awful but some are just plain noisemakers.

There will come a day when all the toys are boxed up, my home is neat & tidy & my boys are not around. I've been told by pretty much everyone who has grown kids I will miss the noise.

Moderation.

I know a parent who does not allow her children to mix playdough colors or play in dirt. That's noiseless but it sure does stifle the imagination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Music instruments never bothered me. My son plays trumpet and the drums and yes I bought him these. But what used to **** me off was my in-laws would buy noise makers for my son. Loud fire trucks and so forth. The volume on these toys were deafening and I felt they were a hazard along with being extremely annoying. When my son was 2 yrs old the fire truck he got would not turn off. The button got stuck. He came running to me clearly distressed because he couldn't take it anymore. I tried like hell to shut it off! After about 20 minutes I couldn't take it anymore and threw it out the backdoor onto the driveway. It smashed into pieces but the damn noise box on it only partly broke so then it made this demonic wooooohhh...woooohhhh. I cleaned up the mess and threw it into the trash can. Several days later when wheeling the can to the curb I could still here this damn thing in the can, woooohh...wooooh.. I think it is in a landfill somewhere still going strong.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
When my kids were little my sister always bought them toys that would scream..one in particular was a train that you put a plastic disc in and it played what they call train sounds...it was horrible because it was high pitched. Of course I let my kids play with it as they wished but when they outgrew it I made a point to have a box where all the toys that she gave them were put in. When she had her first child I gifted her the box of all the screeching toys....

I just think that people that have no kids yet don't realize how bad they are and most don't try them out first.
Yes, my sister thought it was funny to give our son annoying toys when he was little.

Then she had kids. Payback is all I can say. I got great satisfaction!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
I've never minded instruments or video games, but I don't like plastic toys with batteries that make obnoxious noises or "talk" in high-pitched voices. The kind of toys that are supposed "to teach" kids their colors, numbers, etc. My kids have never played with them much either and I don't know of a tactful way to ask my parents to stop buying them.

We had a scary talking toy experience this Christmas. My sister bought my 11-month-old daughter a Leapfrog bear. You plug it into your computer to download personalized messages for your kids like "Goodmorning Katie. What's your favorite color Katie? Mine's purple. I love you Katie."

We thought that having it in her crib might help her fall asleep. So we put her into her crib, turned it on and tiptoed out, hoping it would entertain her until she dozed off.

Well, seconds later when it said, "I love you Katie" in that creepy high-pitched voice she let out the loudest scream I've ever heard. I ran into her room and she was hysterical. It took forever to calm her down.

Now, she can't even look at the thing without crying. I've stuck it in the back of her closet until she's a bit older and we can try it again.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Well, seconds later when it said, "I love you Katie" in that creepy high-pitched voice she let out the loudest scream I've ever heard. I ran into her room and she was hysterical. It took forever to calm her down.

Now, she can't even look at the thing without crying. I've stuck it in the back of her closet until she's a bit older and we can try it again.
Personally, I wouldn't even try it again. Seriously. Something freaks my child out that badly it goes in the Goodwill bag.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
As many have said, if the parents buy the noisy toys, there must be a reason and they have already given approval.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Whats wrong with Candyland. My mom doesn't like it either.. .

Old 01-18-2011, 01:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
When I were a lad, we ad a thing called imagination, it were developed by playing with toys that was quiet and simple.
Now Christmas is past, how are you feeling about all those noise making toys? I tend to feel an urge to remove all the batteries.
By giving toys that are almost all noisy, are we not destroying a child’s ability to develop an imagination properly?
I’m sure the words to those nursery rhymes are wrong!
I hate them. I've already told family that if they get my future children toys that make noise, they toys will be staying at their houses. No toys that make noise here. First of all, tests have shown that the noise level is dangerously high on most toys, especially those for infants. Second of all, they are exceedingly annoying. Third of all, they are not necessary. My kids can have just as much fun with other toys.

Instruments are different. However, I have not an ounce of musical ability in me, so the kids won't be getting any help from me.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I hate them. I've already told family that if they get my future children toys that make noise, they toys will be staying at their houses. No toys that make noise here. First of all, tests have shown that the noise level is dangerously high on most toys, especially those for infants. Second of all, they are exceedingly annoying. Third of all, they are not necessary. My kids can have just as much fun with other toys.

Instruments are different. However, I have not an ounce of musical ability in me, so the kids won't be getting any help from me.
I agree totally, musical instruments are a valid exception.
I plan to teach my Daughter to play the Guitar, but I will let her choose whether she wants to or not.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
I agree totally, musical instruments are a valid exception.
I plan to teach my Daughter to play the Guitar, but I will let her choose whether she wants to or not.
My kids can ask their aunt to teach them music. One of my sisters got all of the music talent in the family. She can play every stringed and percussion instrument and is one of those who can learn to play by ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting