Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 PM

24 posts, read 22,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm not a parent at all. I just don't want to worry about catching something from a diseased child, because their mother didn't WANT to vaccinate the child. I am an "at risk" patient and can't have booster shots for some of these diseases. So I'm not eligible for vaccination. If your child is, and you choose not to vaccinate her, and I get sick because of your choice, then you have chosen to violate MY right to health. And that's when I start calling lawyers, congressmen, lobbyists, and boards of education.

Call them all!!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
I'm still hoping for anti-vaccine links that aren't to a personal website (as was the case with the link to Dr. Mercola) or a blog that is patently biased and fails to give any supporting scientific data for its anti-vaccine viewpoints.

Please. If you've got one, I'll gladly read it.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
The statistics speak for themselves.

Here are the numbers on vaccine preventable illnesses.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...ses&deaths.PDF

Here is a study on emergency room visits, hospitalizations, and deaths after infant vaccines - hot off the internet press.

Patterns of emergency room visits, admissions and ... [Vaccine. 2011] - PubMed result

Vaccines do not kill infants. Vaccine preventable illnesses do.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroughten View Post
OK! So...actually you ARE only willing to listen to one side. I figured that if I put up a link like everyone here is asking for this is exactly what would happen. This Dr is not a quack. He is reputable. This is an article with facts. But of course because it is not the side that you are on you will disregard it.
Mercola quacks like a duck.

This may be hard for some to accept, b/c we're taught to look at "both sides" so much, but some issues do not have two sides. It's not like "Is red a prettier color than blue?"; it's "does the sun come up in the east?"

The practice where I work gives about 50,000 immunizations a year. In seven years there, I have never seen any of this stuff that supposedly happens "all the time". Plus for 11 years before that, I worked in an immunization clinic where we probably gave 100,000 imms a year, ditto. And before that, and before that. . . If all this stuff were happening, don't you think in over a million doses of vaccine that I would have seen something more than fevers; sore arms; kids, usually older ones who haven't eaten in a while, faint (very few); and one kid, one mind you, who couldn't stop sneezing after a chickenpox shot.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

This may be hard for some to accept, b/c we're taught to look at "both sides" so much, but some issues do not have two sides. It's not like "Is red a prettier color than blue?"; it's "does the sun come up in the east?"

The practice where I work gives about 50,000 immunizations a year. In seven years there, I have never seen any of this stuff that supposedly happens "all the time". Plus for 11 years before that, I worked in an immunization clinic where we probably gave 100,000 imms a year, ditto. And before that, and before that. . . If all this stuff were happening, don't you think in over a million doses of vaccine that I would have seen something more than fevers; sore arms; kids, usually older ones who haven't eaten in a while, faint (very few); and one kid, one mind you, who couldn't stop sneezing after a chickenpox shot.

This issue does have 2 sides. Although your way of thinking doesn't surprise me considering your mentioned work history.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-22-2011 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Although your way of thinking doesn't surprise me considering your mentioned work history.
I'm curious. Why do you take the word of Mercola, an osteopath with no specific experience in immunology, pediatrics, or infectious diseases, and yet you dispel as quackery the CDC, the NIH, WHO, et al., or even someone like Katiana who has over 40 years experience in maternal-child health? Why? Mercola provides anecdotes, has no peer-reviewed studies to substantiate his claims, in fact no verifiable science at all. The CDC, NIH, WHO employ hundreds of thousands of people in different disciplines around the world, they are engaged in ongoing scientific research, and yet you would refer to them as quacks. It really boggles the mind.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-22-2011 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Removed reference to deleted comment.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm curious. Why do you take the word of Mercola, an osteopath with no specific experience in immunology, pediatrics, or infectious diseases, and yet you dispel as quackery the CDC, the NIH, WHO, et al., or even someone like Katiana who has over 40 years experience in maternal-child health? Why? Mercola provides anecdotes, has no peer-reviewed studies to substantiate his claims, in fact no verifiable science at all. The CDC, NIH, WHO employ hundreds of thousands of people in different disciplines around the world, they are engaged in ongoing scientific research, and yet you would refer to them as quacks. It really boggles the mind.
It's "special snowflake" syndrome. Mercola gives people an excuse to claim that their situation is DIFFERENT, that their child is SPECIAL. "Little Johnny won't become a sheep in the herd, even though it's herd immunity that keeps Little Johnny from catching all these horrible diseases."

They want their child to be labeled special, unique, different. But they don't want to take responsibility for the consequences. So Mercola et. al gives them someone to blame it on. "Mercola SAYS that vaccines are bad and I'm just a caring loving mommy who wants what's best for my special snowflake, so I'd better listen to the internet glurge and conspiracy hype that insists that thousands of people who actually know what they're talking about are wrong."

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-22-2011 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Removed reference to deleted comment.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
Quote:
This issue does have 2 sides. Although your way of thinking doesn't surprise me considering your mentioned work history.
Yes, 2 sides. Those who want to protect their children from preventable deadly diseases, and those who do not want to protect them. Those who have a conscience and those who do not vaccinate.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-22-2011 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: Removed reference to deleted comment.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Yes, 2 sides. Those who want to protect their children from preventable deadly diseases, and those who do not want to protect them. Those who have a conscience and those who do not vaccinate.
This is your opinion. I have a conscience. My child is my world. This comment is spiteful. I don't think any of us has all the answers here about vaccinations. I admit that I don't. NO ONE does. Not even the 'experts'. SO if and when you have all the answers then you can make a comment about me not having a conscience because I believe that I am making the right decision for my son. I don't make personal comments about what I think about parents who do vaccinate their children..because it is not my place and I don't have an opinion. It is the parents decision to vaccinate or not vaccinate. I don't judge. Everyone here believes that they are making the right choice for their children. We just disagree. Personal comments like that are just out of line.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Seriously, if any of this happened with any regularity, we'd know about it!!!! Why is it only a few fringe (quacks) doctors seem to know about it? How is it the goverment is keeping ALL THESE PARENTS whose kids have SUFFERED quiet?

Can you spell paranoid?

Edited to add: I am, fully, aware that there are risks with any medical procedure. It's just very clear, in this case, that vaccination is erring on the side of caution. Yes, a few children will have averse reactions if we vaccinate all children but MANY children will be crippled of die if we don't. This decision is easy. A few vs. many. How many children would you like to hurt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting