Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
So we're going to Hawaii in a month and now I'm facing a situation where my kids want to wear their hoodie sweaters and jeans everywhere and don't want to wear shorts. For some reason they think shorts are geeky. So now I'm worried they will overheat!
It will take them about 20 minutes after they get off the plane in Honorooroo to realise all the cool Hawaiian locals are wearing shorts. (But get ready to by them a few Hawaiian hoodies as souvenirs.)

I've never seen a tourist taking surfing lessons wearing jeans. The Aloha Spirit wins out every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 03:13 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
I hope this OP lady gets some family therapy for herself and her kids. Everyone needs help now and then and it's actually a positive thing to ask for help - it means you're aware enough to realize you need it. Some parents I think feel like they might be seen as a failure of some kind if they have to turn to someone for help, but the way I see it... if you don't find help when you need it and instead allow your children to suffer, that is failing as a parent.

As far as coats, though - my kids hate wearing them, too. The closest I can get them to do is a hoodie sweater worn underneath a sturdy fleece jacket, like one of those North Face fleece jackets.

underneath

They do like the sherpa-lined hoodies, and they also like the warm fleece hoodies, so that's good. Those are warmer than the all cotton ones. They also wear a long-sleeve t-shirt underneath the hoodie. Layering is a good thing.

They refuse to wear hats and gloves, too... so they pull the hood up over their heads and stuff their hands in their pockets. They will wear scarves (go figure!) so they sometimes wrap a scarf around their neck and hooded face if it's really blustery and cold.

So far, no one in my house has been very ill or caught pneumonia or gotten frostbite or anything, and we've braved some pretty low temps/ice/snow...

When it's really cold and icy, I sometimes successfully try to get them to wear long johns or under armor underneath their jeans to keep their legs warmer. They don't always choose to do this, though, when I suggest it. The hoodie/jacket/scarf thing works OK... but their legs still get cold with just jeans on. I used to buy them lined jeans... but now that they are 11 and 15 they choose their own jeans and they don't buy the lined ones....

So we're going to Hawaii in a month and now I'm facing a situation where my kids want to wear their hoodie sweaters and jeans everywhere and don't want to wear shorts. For some reason they think shorts are geeky. So now I'm worried they will overheat!

Oh my goodness.
At the very least, if you can't get them to pack shorts, I hope they bring along tank tops. Stepping off of the airplane could prove to be a real eye opener for them. Perhaps you could BEG them? LOL Perhaps you could simply sneak a couple of pairs of shorts in YOUR bag. Once they get to the island, they may change their minds. BTW have a blast!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
At the very least, if you can't get them to pack shorts, I hope they bring along tank tops. Stepping off of the airplane could prove to be a real eye opener for them. Perhaps you could BEG them? LOL Perhaps you could simply sneak a couple of pairs of shorts in YOUR bag. Once they get to the island, they may change their minds. BTW have a blast!
I'm sorry, I seem to have derailed the thread. I seem to have been misbehaving quite a bit on city-data lately! (I've been warned and had posts deleted by a moderator twice within the last month or so! Yikes!)

Anyway - hopefully this going OT won't get me banned altogether...

Yes, we're totally packing shorts. They actually have some really nice long'ish style swim shorts that pass for regular shorts. We buy most of our swimming gear at Lands End and LE has great men's and boys swim trunks. So we're bringing some of those plus some t-shirts and river sandals an flip-flops. But they are wearing jeans and hoodies to and from the airport as it's still quite chilly here in Oregon!

We usually just pack one large rolling duffle for all of us to share (we pack light) and then we each have one personal carry-on bag (like a backpack) that we take on the plane with us. It's much easier only dealing with one large rolling piece of luggage rather than four pieces of luggage. We also don't bring our own toiletries or anything like that - if we can buy it there, we don't bring it. We just bring the bare essentials. We also usually box up the stuff we buy and mail it back, unless it's something really special that we feel we should carry on the plane with us.

OK... totally rambly today - sorry! Thank you and we will have a blast I'm sure!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Its bitterly cold here and I still rarely wear my coat, its so hard to lug it around.
Its an awesome coat too, its Columbia but I hate wearing coats and never really ever wore one, I STILL just do a jacket or a hoodie. I have one of those plush hooded columbia zip ups, a nike hoodie, a Hollister pull over hoodie and a hollister zip up hoodie.

Its all I ever wear over my shirts.
I rather not wear a coat and sprint from the car to where ever I am going to then wear a coat, get hot inside where I am and then possibly have to carry it around.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:58 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I seem to have derailed the thread. I seem to have been misbehaving quite a bit on city-data lately! (I've been warned and had posts deleted by a moderator twice within the last month or so! Yikes!)

Yes, we're totally packing shorts. They actually have some really nice long'ish style swim shorts that pass for regular shorts. We buy most of our swimming gear at Lands End and LE has great men's and boys swim trunks. So we're bringing some of those plus some t-shirts and river sandals an flip-flops. But they are wearing jeans and hoodies to and from the airport as it's still quite chilly here in Oregon!

We usually just pack one large rolling duffle for all of us to share (we pack light) and then we each have one personal carry-on bag (like a backpack) that we take on the plane with us. It's much easier only dealing with one large rolling piece of luggage rather than four pieces of luggage. We also don't bring our own toiletries or anything like that - if we can buy it there, we don't bring it. We just bring the bare essentials. We also usually box up the stuff we buy and mail it back, unless it's something really special that we feel we should carry on the plane with us.

OK... totally rambly today - sorry! Thank you and we will have a blast I'm sure!
I don't see how you share one duffel.
I couldn't do it.
I A) couldn't share a bag, I need my things together in one bag so I can keep track, 2) I couldn't ever pack light, I over pack, I rather have too much than not have enough and E) I have to bring my own toiletries. I just like to have my stuff with me away from home. Bare essentials and not having the convenience of my own stuff scares me.

But have fun in hawaii....any chance you wanna like take one more duffel and sneak me on the plane??

Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:

I don't see this as being terribly off topic. LOL Your children do not want to dress as you feel is appropriate, therefore, we're all brainstorming on how to "prepare" for the worst.....hehe...alternate options. It sounds like you pack wisely. We do the same thing...mix & match, lightweight fabrics, similar colors. I'd rather do laundry than pack too much!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:48 PM

Making sure the hotel you stay at either has a laundry room you can use or offers laundry service is also something we do. Sometimes, though, I just hand wash our clothes in the hotel room and hang them to dry.

We divide our large rolling bag up into four sections by each of us (there are four of us) putting our own clothes or whatever we want to pack into the big rolling bag into a plastic grocery bag or plastic garbage bag. A military friend of ours showed us how he learned to pack in basic training - a lot of rolling and flattening... it really saves space. We use the plastic bags to put dirty clothes and shoes in for the trip home in case we don't have time to wash things before we leave.

(We tried those space saver bags one time and they didn't work... not only did they split open at the seams, but also when we checked in at the airport the people opened them up to go through our things, and because we didn't (obviously) have a vacuum at the airport to suck the air back out it completely messed-up our packing!!)

Also - as far as toiletries... we're a pretty easy/simple family. I don't wear makeup or use styling goop in my hair and we just use very basic bodycare stuff, stuff that you can find anywhere, so I guess that's why I don't worry about not bringing that stuff. It's also kind of fun shopping for a toothbrush in a new place. I don't know why, it just is.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Hawaii I can handle with a large purse! Even when my kids were small. If you're going to concentrate on the beach: shorts, couple of t-shirts, bathing suits, couple of mumus as cover-ups for me, aloha shirts for "dress". I mentioned Longs Drugs to you HH. Pick up the sunscreen, toothbrushes, etc. there. (Oh, my goodness I love Longs.)

Best thing about Aloha shirts is they're supposed to look sun bleached. Put it on. Wear it through the sun and the rain. Let it drip dry on your body. Look like a native.

I might mention we sometimes look(ed) like beach bums. Or someone Dog the Bounty Hunter is looking for.

BTW: I'm fighting waves of jealousy!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
BTW: I'm fighting waves of jealousy!
Me too! Love, love, love Hawaii! But I'd love to go anywhere warm right now! One of my bathrooms' pipes have frozen three mornings this week.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 PM

Thanks DewDrop. I know Long's Drugstore as CVS - I think CVS owns Long's or something. There's not one in the town where I live now, but I shopped at locations in TX and CA. I always went there for stocking stuffers and Halloween candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting