Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:32 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,134,155 times

Advertisements

Any chocolate, soda's or anything caffeinated that he has during the day could keep him up.
Even some sips of your Starbucks frappucino...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 PM

538 posts, read 1,519,483 times
Our kid stopped taking naps at 2.5 years old. It's not that weird at all. Of course I would love it if he took a nap for his own rest and benefit, but I don't push it anymore.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:53 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,284,946 times
Every child is different, but he sounds much like my son...Mr. ADHD on speed. Since he was a baby, he drove me crazy, he has two speeds, sleep, and 100 mph. And he seems to live on 5 hours of sleep a night. For my own personal sanity, I decided that the "rule book" that worked with my other children could be completely thrown out with this kid, because he was a completely different kid.

So, this is what I did...to keep my own sanity. I put him in his room at 8pm, with whatever video he wanted to watch, and he stayed in his room, watching tv. Is this probably something that perfect Mothers would scream about? Yep...well, I am not perfect...but this worked. He would watch his movie, and usually fall asleep by about 10pm. Note, if he did not stay in his room, there was no tv on to watch, so, he would just hang out on the sofa reading books. He found his room much more fun.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:56 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,168,821 times
Directed towards the OP...

This is a long time for a toddler to go without rest...
However this is not unusual..there are some children that outgrow naps and since birth they are simply not good nappers...

However there are some things you can try...
I am guessing that you do not work? If you do not this will be easier..

He wakes up at 6:30....so technically he should be ready to nap around noon...

1. Try and give him as much activity between 10-11 right before lunch..a park trip where he can run around, large motor skill dances in the living room ( The wiggles come to mind) having him run for items...bubbles and assign him to pop them all..one WORD..activity...
2. A semi heavy lunch full of protein but lean on carbs...and milk instead of juice and soda..tell him that he is going to rest his body..he does not have to sleep but he does have to rest...
Set up a new routine..make the environment a little dark, put on some quiet music ( One of my faves is RETURN TO POOH CORNER) and have him look at books while lying down, see what happens...
3. If all else fails at least he will get a break and you will also..

Should he not take a nap..start to wrap things up right after dinner...
warm bath and a book like you stated...
Be prepared to deal with the yelling, the kicking, the screaming...the requests for something to drink, a beloved toy..ect...These ARE ALL NORMAL and TYPICAL toddler behaviors...of grand manipulation...NO child does anything that does not work...

So with that stated?
Prepare a night "box" things that he likes to sleep with..a juicy cup..with watered down 100% juice..ask him to help you..make it fun..decorate the box..allow him to color it...tell him anything he plays with can go inside as long as it fits..( A shoe box works great)

And when he starts remind him with short directives...this way you are not exhausting yourself with pleading and long drawn out explanations..( Toddlers lose us after 6 words or so)

i.e.
you have your things
Its time to sleep
I know you do not want to sleep
It is time to sleep
I know its hard
but it is time to sleep
I can hear you yelling
but its still time to sleep
I love you
still time to sleep
time for play is tomorrow

you will sound like a broken record but it will save your sanity...
and it will show him that mom and dad mean business
This will take anywhere from 1-2 weeks of CONSISTENCY....

Do not bother getting frustrated..play the music again "Return to pooh corner" and focus on the song, tune out and repeat the directives like a mantra,...

If he attempts to get up? Do not say a word..grab him and place him back in bed...no words means no arguing, no further questions and ect..if you need to say something remember keep it short..Sorry but its time to sleep..

I will add this IS GOING TO BE A JOINT EFFORT..you are about to give birth...you will be preoccupied with the new baby so I suggest you get your hubby familiar with what you both decide...

And yes I am a mother and also a former toddler teacher and preschool teacher with 12 years under the belt...I have napped children whose parents stated it wasnt possible and this nap at noon or the consistency got them ready for home..

The best of luck

Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,575,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I remember 3 and it was hard. Do you guys own a trampoline? It is a saving grace for energetic children and if you feel the big ones are too unsafe think about a small one.
I think 3 is a great age but you have to know that it's the time some kids no longer need naps or they only need the if you've taken them out for a 2 mile hike or done some fairly physical activity with them. They need to be outdoors a lot of the day. They need to run, walk, climb, get lots of fresh air.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,167,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post

Being a parent is very hard, frustrating, and sometimes isolating. I hoped to find some advice, and hopefully will have a suggestion to try something new. I can't always see the forest for the trees!
I totally agree with you. I stayed home with my boys for a couple years (twins, from about age 1 until they were 3) and it was very difficult, and the isolation was something I didn't see coming.

We've never had any bedtime issues at all, but I can see between the two boys that one is by far a more difficult personality than the other, and has been from the day he was born. Funny how we're born with certain traits that really never change. You can do the same thing with each child, and they react a completely different way. Someday, you'll probably look back on these days and laugh! Someday.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:16 PM

992 posts, read 2,369,173 times
I should update everyone!

Ok, so my 3 year old (now almost 4) goes to bed well now. I don't know what snapped, if I am wearing him out more, or if he just gave up the fight. Once the baby came along (2/16), he calmed down. We had a few days of baby talk and stuff, but he's gotten SO much better. Bedtime used to be the MOST dreaded part of the day, and NOW he sleeps in his bed, all night long. On top of that, the baby sleeps all night, too, and has since she was about 6 weeks old. Hallelujah! This mama gets some sleep now!

The suggestions were helpful...
We don't do sugar in this house.
No caffeine allowed. Ever.
We walk every night.
We have a pool and a trampoline.
We have a nighttime routine.

Thanks for all the suggestions...we parents always have trying times!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:26 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,284,946 times
It is a stage that they all go through. And Mom's go thru it too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting