Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 753 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my first child, and it took the staff over 9 hours to tell me. My Dr. immediately put me on valium and strong sleeping pills. I never got to hold my little girl and I have no memory of what happened the next few years, meds kept being refilled.
Now, no one seems to know where her body is buried and I just don't know what happened to my little girl, Paula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 12:09 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,948 times
Am so sorry. But calling an attorney is not necessarily an accusation, and you better believe the hospital and the doctors have already called theirs and their insurance carriers! There is nothing wrong with getting an attorney to at the very least help you get more info if they are not giving it to you.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:02 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharron ryan View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my first child, and it took the staff over 9 hours to tell me. My Dr. immediately put me on valium and strong sleeping pills. I never got to hold my little girl and I have no memory of what happened the next few years, meds kept being refilled.
Now, no one seems to know where her body is buried and I just don't know what happened to my little girl, Paula.
My condolences for your loss.

Someone had to give permission for Paula's remains to be removed from the hospital. If you were unable to do it, someone in your family had to. Talk to your family members. If there was a burial, there was likely a funeral or memorial service, even if just at graveside. What does your family say about that?

When did this happen? You may be able to get hospital records if it has not been too long. Those would include information about Paula.

You also need to be aware that sleep medications can cause amnesia. You may very well have held Paula but just do not remember doing so.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:56 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Just a FYI This is a 2011 Original Post

Old 05-25-2016, 05:52 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Just a FYI This is a 2011 Original Post
Yes, but a new poster piggy backed on it.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:00 PM

99 posts, read 93,032 times
I'm sorry for your loss Sadly, death during childbirth happens, and it is not terribly uncommon. I know someone who lost their child the same way...the baby died during delivery. As the person above said, it was likely compression of the umbilical cord. It is a very sad situation.

I do think doctors "CYA" for each other. It's possible the doctor is worried about a lawsuit. Unless you feel there was gross negligence on the part of the doctor, I'd be apt to let it go. Find out how to get the report so you can review it, but please know this is something that does happen. Death during delivery, and stillbirths are still tragically common.

I hope you and your wife can find some peace. I can't imagine the devastation you are going through. My condolences.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:46 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharron ryan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My condolences for your loss.

Someone had to give permission for Paula's remains to be removed from the hospital. If you were unable to do it, someone in your family had to. Talk to your family members. If there was a burial, there was likely a funeral or memorial service, even if just at graveside. What does your family say about that?

When did this happen? You may be able to get hospital records if it has not been too long. Those would include information about Paula.

You also need to be aware that sleep medications can cause amnesia. You may very well have held Paula but just do not remember doing so.
Sharron, I am sorry for your loss.

Suzy gave some good points. Especially the part where you may have held your daughter but not remembered it. It was only in the last few years where some hospitals in some situations took photographs of a stillborn or diseased child with their parents.

Please ask all your family members and friends for the information that they know. They may have the answers but did not want to tell you in case it made you upset.

I am reluctant to mention this but if your baby was not born alive the hospital may have had a special procedure to follow or a special place to bury unborn children. If you contact the hospital social worker I am sure that you can get some answers. Or you could contact your former doctor as he or she may have the information in your file.

In my state I believe that doctors need to keep records for at least 10 years and hospitals at least 20 years (possible even much longer). The records may take some time to locate but they should still have them in storage some place.

You can also check with the county and see if a death certificate was issued. I do not believe that would happen if your baby was stillborn. The county coroners office may also give you information of where to get additional information.

I am sorry.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-26-2016 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Sharron, I am sorry for your loss. Suzy gave some good points. Especially the part where you may have held your daughter but not remembered it. It was only in the last few years where some hospitals in some situation took photographs of the child with their parents.

I am reluctant to mention this but if your baby was not born alive the hospital may have had a special procedure to follow or a special place to bury unborn children.

You can also check with the county and see if a death certificate was issued. I do not believe that would happen if your baby was stillborn.

I am sorry.
There is no "special place" designated for intrapartum or birth losses. As in other situations, bereaved parents are able to request pathology and an autopsy, and once they're completed, they are free to make memorial or funeral arrangements. Some funeral homes cover a good portion or all of the costs.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Sharron. You have hospital records, correct? The hospital you gave birth at should have your records along with your daughter's. You can also check with the office of vital records for the death certificate. It took a little while to receive my son's certificate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting