Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:38 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
She wouldn't like the showers here then, there's no curtains, its all open!
Ha! She'd be used to it, though. I'm just amazed how people only seem concerned about how it affects the little kid, and not the adult (or in my case, almost adult) in a culture where it is not the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:05 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Ha! She'd be used to it, though. I'm just amazed how people only seem concerned about how it affects the little kid, and not the adult (or in my case, almost adult) in a culture where it is not the norm.
Yeah if you aren't used to it I can imagine it would make the adult feel pretty uncomfortable. I wasn't used to it before I moved to Finland as the public swimming pools in the UK tended to have a bit more privacy and you weren't told to shower naked so it was a bit of an adjustment.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:45 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It's a bathroom. We all use the bathroom. Sometimes children become embarrassed, but they get over it. It does not scar them for life. I have had the most amazing conversations with toddlers looking under the bathroom stall.

He told me he had a sponge bob doll named Happy.
There is a big difference between 2 year old toddlers and children age 7 or 8 looking under stalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
That's funny At the same time, what about the adult who doesn't want this interaction? Last summer my daughter, 16 at the time, was showering after swimming and a little boy was roaming around and opening the shower curtains. He was around 8 and there are rules where we were about no opposite gender kids being allowed past 5, I believe, in the women's room with us. I get it that it's hard for us moms in that situation, having a young kid and trying to keep up with them, but my teen was mortified. For what it's worth, it was a perfectly safe Y, mom could have parked her kid outside the shower/restroom area for the 5 minutes she needed to be in there. Like you, I would have been fine with the situation (under stall conversation) and probably laughed about it, but my kid being a teen was horrified.
Our local YMCA had/has the same rule about no opposite gender children 6 and older in the changing areas . Most of the women were pretty laid back about a slightly older child in there, if the child stayed close to his mom. But one child made us all very uncomfortable. He appeared to be about 8 or 9 years old and I noticed that he sometimes carried a 3rd grade math book or a 3rd grade reading book, again confirming that he definitely 6 or older. He did the same thing as TXNGL reported, opening up the shower curtains and just standing there staring at the girls & women. He would even go right up to a women and stare at her breast or pubic area while she was changing.

Mom never said a word to him or asked him to stand next to her. I noticed that a few women tried to talk to Mom about it and she just "blew them off". After he stared at me few times I complained to management and I guess quite a few other women did too. The next class time he was not with her. Wow, that mom complained and complained about how her "little baby" needed to change in the bathroom or the men's locker room and how unfair that was. No one said a word to her in agreement.

BTW, now they have a few "family bathrooms" where a parent can change with their older opposite sex child.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:16 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
I used to make a game with my third son, we would look around then sneak in the ladies room when no one was watching.
You got to be crazy if I was sending in my young son in a men's room.

Thank god for the popularity of family bathrooms now.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:48 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
There is a big difference between 2 year old toddlers and children age 7 or 8 looking under stalls.
Are you worried about 7 and 8 year olds looking under the stall? It has never been my experience. Is it yours? My experience is older children are far more uncomfortable in the space than I am.

Is you objection about the act of evacuation? The sound, the noise, and the smell? I have heard some laughter when someone farts. Kids are so funny about it. I love it.

adding. I read your reply about the YMCA. The young boy should have been given a chair and told to stay put. My YMCA has benches for children to sit and wait.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:13 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There is a big difference between mens and ladies restrooms. Ladies restrooms has everything behind closed doors, but urinals are out there for the whole world to see!

I do not object or mind moms bringing in their boys as long as they don't try to peek between the cracks of the toilet stalls (I've caught a few doing that). But I don't think it is a good idea to bring a girl into a mens bathroom. Not only are there penises in full view, but mens rooms are not known for their cleanliness nor their engaging ambiance. Who wants to subject their little five year old daughter to some overweight slob cutting the cheese as he washes his hands at the sink? ewwwwwwwwww
Oh, don't be ridiculous.

We all know that men don't wash their hands after using the bathroom

Old 02-23-2015, 10:15 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There is a big difference between mens and ladies restrooms. Ladies restrooms has everything behind closed doors, but urinals are out there for the whole world to see!
yeah the back of peoples pants. Its not like we are all jousting

10 seems a little old to me. I think around 7 would be a cut off. . where mom waits outside.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
yeah the back of peoples pants. Its not like we are all jousting

10 seems a little old to me. I think around 7 would be a cut off. . where mom waits outside.
Precisely....as a male I have a life time experience with the men's room, and the only time that I may have caught a glimpse was at the fair grounds where they had troughs with no walls.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
I heard of two different cases this week alone of unaccompanied boys being accosted in public bathrooms. In a mall near me a 70 year old male took pictures of a twelve year old in alone while his mom was right outside. In the other a 6 year old NC boy was molested in a movie theatre bathroom. These are just the ones that made the news in my area.

My son is eight. He will come in with me until I feel comfortable. Making someone else comfortable just isn't worth the risk.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:35 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I heard of two different cases this week alone of unaccompanied boys being accosted in public bathrooms. In a mall near me a 70 year old male took pictures of a twelve year old in alone while his mom was right outside. In the other a 6 year old NC boy was molested in a movie theatre bathroom. These are just the ones that made the news in my area.

My son is eight. He will come in with me until I feel comfortable. Making someone else comfortable just isn't worth the risk.
In the past year no less than 5 teachers in our area have been found to be having sexual relations with their students.

I guess I should just keep my kids home, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting