Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times

Advertisements

I recently noticed some older boys (around 10 years old or maybe they just look very mature) accompanying their moms in the ladies room -- and using the restroom too. I didn't think it's a huge deal but at what age does it become weird? Can't the kid just use the men's room while the mom waits outside?

It would definitely be uncomfortable if a young girl had to use a restroom and she had to be accompanied by her dad. I can't imagine bringing a small girl into the men's room, and I can't imagine a man going into the lady's room to help the daughter. How do people deal with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I recently noticed some older boys (around 10 years old or maybe they just look very mature) accompanying their moms in the ladies room -- and using the restroom too. I didn't think it's a huge deal but at what age does it become weird? Can't the kid just use the men's room while the mom waits outside?

It would definitely be uncomfortable if a young girl had to use a restroom and she had to be accompanied by her dad. I can't imagine bringing a small girl into the men's room, and I can't imagine a man going into the lady's room to help the daughter. How do people deal with that?
There is a big difference between mens and ladies restrooms. Ladies restrooms has everything behind closed doors, but urinals are out there for the whole world to see!

I do not object or mind moms bringing in their boys as long as they don't try to peek between the cracks of the toilet stalls (I've caught a few doing that). But I don't think it is a good idea to bring a girl into a mens bathroom. Not only are there penises in full view, but mens rooms are not known for their cleanliness nor their engaging ambiance. Who wants to subject their little five year old daughter to some overweight slob cutting the cheese as he washes his hands at the sink? ewwwwwwwwww

Most little girls are ok to go to the bathroom alone if dad is standing outside the door. Occasionally, I have seen a dad ask a nice lady (usually towing a kid of her own), to keep an eye out and they are happy to oblige. For a little bitty girl, I guess the dad could carry her into the stall in the mens room but it still does not set very well with me. I would think that if it were an emergency situation, you could ask a female store employee to help. I'm sure most of them would be willing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
In many (not all) situations, there are handicapped or family restrooms which have only a single stall and can be locked.

Find Family Restrooms

Many restrooms have not been added to this site, but maybe a little publicity will help people to add them.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:39 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
I've always taken my boys into the ladies room with me when they were younger. Several years ago a 9-year old boy was allowed to go into a public restroom while his aunt waited outside. The boy was murdered in the restroom. I have never forgotten the story. Here's an article about this horrific crime from 1998 when it happened:

CNN - Suspect arrested in case of boy killed in public bathroom - November 16, 1998

Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,871 times
I'd say up to about age 5 or so. Depending how big or small the kid is for their age. Also, it depends on the area. We went to a drive in theater when my son was about 11-ish I think. I took one look at that long line of drunk, dirty, shirtless, men and told my kid he was going to the women's bathroom with me and that was final. When we got to the women's bathroom line, there was a handful of mother's with their little boys around my son's age too. So, I wasn't the only one.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I've always taken my boys into the ladies room with me when they were younger. Several years ago a 9-year old boy was allowed to go into a public restroom while his aunt waited outside. The boy was murdered in the restroom. I have never forgotten the story. Here's an article about this horrific crime from 1998 when it happened:

CNN - Suspect arrested in case of boy killed in public bathroom - November 16, 1998
I totally agree with this post! I heard of a lot of awful things happening to children in public restrooms. That's probably why I've always been "over protective" (my son says) regarding his whereabouts. I remember one little boy had his privates cut off while his Mother waited outside a men's bathroom. Sick, sick, sick!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I would be nervous about sending a child into a restroom on their own. Luckily I haven't had to deal with this, I have one child, a daughter.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:58 AM

235 posts, read 510,645 times
I don't care what other people think. I'm taking my boys into the ladies room with me (or DH always accompanies them into the men's room) for many more years to come. DS1 is 7 and DS2 is 4. There is NO way I'd let either of them go into a public bathroom alone. Absolutely NO way. I find 99% of women are not phased by young boys with their Mom's in the women's room. If someone had a problem with me bringing my 7 year old into the bathroom with me, I have to say, I really wouldn't care. We go quickly to a stall, do our business, wash our hands and get out. My son's safety is the most important thing to me.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
I don't think it's any big deal for a young child (say under 5) of either gender to accompany a parent in a public restroom. If a very little girl catches a glimpse of a penis it isn't that big a deal. I would think that a girl over 5 would be uncomfortable in the mens room.

Little boys in the ladies room don't bother me. Even bigger boys in the ladies room don't bother me. But I do question when mothers drag their middle school aged boys into the ladies room with them. Not because I care if there's a 12 year old boy in the ladies room, but because I think it is humiliating for a boy in middle school to be dragged to the ladies room with his mother.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:11 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
But I do question when mothers drag their middle school aged boys into the ladies room with them. Not because I care if there's a 12 year old boy in the ladies room, but because I think it is humiliating for a boy in middle school to be dragged to the ladies room with his mother.
id rather have my son be embarrassed than go missing in the 3 minutes i was in there ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting