Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Be careful, you might hurt your head smacking yourself in the face that often.

I have a fabulous set, thanks. And I'm just about as old as you are. But I appreciate your input.
Here's to "fabulous sets" though they are not always valued in these modern / metro times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
But your kids will get to watch Dora for free. Only it's not Dora. It's Mickey. And probably a Disney Princess or two. Or three. And the average 4-year old is going to want what Mickey has. And, as you roll your cart to the checkout stand, you are going to pass Mickey sippy cups and Mickey popcorn and Princess tiaras, and Princess Valentines Day cards and Pluto dog food...
To quote a famous rock star..."It's on America's tortured brow...Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow..." A cash cow that is.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
I just googled a couple of articles on it. What is showing now in a grocery cart near you, is one of three half-hour Disney videos! (Insert Dew roaring with laughter here. I should have known.)

Notice how you can buy Princess sippy cups in your grocery store?
It's a 30 minute infomercial just for kids.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think ya'll are just jealous you didn't come up with this brilliant marketing scheme yourself!
I'm mad because I didn't immediately think Disney. I know Disney. I know Disney marketing. LOL I'm slipping.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I don't think most responsible parent have a hard time saying "no" but most of us who have had 2 or 3 year olds know that 2 and 3 year olds generally lack impulse control and are unable to reason. They want what they want and don't always respond so well to the word "no" when they see something so tempting. The parent can and and will still say "no" but what I see happening is more screaming in the stores among this particular age group when parents say "no" and more annoyed customers and parents who have to deal with a screaming child when all they want to do is get a gallon of milk and some veggies without letting their child space out to the latest over commercialized Disney film.

So on one hand you think that parents should just say "no" if they don't like it but if their kid acts up in respnse to that (which many kids will do simply to their age and developmental stage) the parent whould should just give in and let them watch the movie so you don't have to hear about it.
That's why you tell them BEFORE you go to the store what is expected of them! My kids knew before we walked in the store that if they had a tantrum they would receive a punishment when we got home. They knew/know exactly what we're going to the store for and what we're getting and if something's not on the list, we're not getting it! Most of the time they didn't/don't even bother to ask- unless I told them we'd be buying that, the answer's an automatic no.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think ya'll are just jealous you didn't come up with this brilliant marketing scheme yourself!
Surprise it isn't at WalMart. That could be a fun time for all.

I love Disney. I love how it costs a small fortune to take your children there. I love how when you walk out of a ride or attraction there is a gift shop filled w/ overpriced items made in China.

I do wonder what Walt would think of all of this now.

And I want to know why the mom always dies at the beginning of so many Disney movies or the parents have abandoned the kids? Finding Nemo; Bambi; Pinnochio, Cinderella, Snow White?

Yet one of the many reasons I go shopping bimonthly & have it set up very nice for the dh & kids...I go grocery shopping kid-free. I birthed them. I stay up w/ them at all hours. I clean up their puke. Clean their noses. Help wipe their rears when they are potty training. Make their bruises/cuts better. I just don't go grocery shopping with them

Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

I love Disney. I love how it costs a small fortune to take your children there. I love how when you walk out of a ride or attraction there is a gift shop filled w/ overpriced items made in China.
It all ties in. There is a Walmart a mile and a half from Disneyland. You just get on the freeway and go North. You don't even have to change lanes. There's a special off-ramp that puts you right into their lot. Get out of your car, walk in the Walmart looking for diapers, and there is a huge display of Disney souvenirs. Cups, shirts, hats, pencil sharpeners, rulers, costumes, DVDs.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
But your kids will get to watch Dora for free. Only it's not Dora. It's Mickey. And probably a Disney Princess or two. Or three. And the average 4-year old is going to want what Mickey has. And, as you roll your cart to the checkout stand, you are going to pass Mickey sippy cups and Mickey popcorn and Princess tiaras, and Princess Valentines Day cards and Pluto dog food...
Ah. Well, my kids used to ask for all of that junk anyway, and I just said "no." Problem solved.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:17 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

I do wonder what Walt would think of all of this now.

And I want to know why the mom always dies at the beginning of so many Disney movies or the parents have abandoned the kids? Finding Nemo; Bambi; Pinnochio, Cinderella, Snow White?

Yet one of the many reasons I go shopping bimonthly & have it set up very nice for the dh & kids...I go grocery shopping kid-free. I birthed them. I stay up w/ them at all hours. I clean up their puke. Clean their noses. Help wipe their rears when they are potty training. Make their bruises/cuts better. I just don't go grocery shopping with them
That's my trick, too. When they were very little, unless I absolutely HAD to (and yes, that happened occasionally), DH or I would go shopping while the other stayed with the kidlets at home. Now that they're big, DH takes them shopping on Saturday mornings while I get some work done. I get the house to myself, and the kids get to spend time with Daddy. Win-win for everyone, and I don't have to step foot in the grocery store with them! (Most of the time... sometimes I do need to stop during the week, of course, but I almost never do a full shopping with tagalongs.)

Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Meh. My kids are way too big for that now, but when they were 2 and 4, I would have paid a buck or two for them to happily watch Dora while grocery shopping on the occasions when I had to take them shopping with me. They barely watched any TV at home, and never in the car, so it would be a novelty, as well as a way for me to get the shopping done quickly and with little stress. I loathe grocery shopping with kids, even now, and my kids are 10 and 8! They don't misbehave, but they slow me down big time. LOL
I am sure they do slow you down, but....

Slowing down is NOT always a bad thing. One of the things that having two grandchildren with autism has taught me is that slowing down and actually being in the present moment is important and it can be very pleasant. Why the rush to get groceries and get out. Why not use the time to teach kids to shop including teaching them how to weigh produce and how to look at prices, etc. I understand that parents are often rushing around, but that isn't always the healthiest alternative. There is enough stress and rushing when you are working, why not slow down when you are at home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting