Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 18,663 times

Advertisements

my 9 year old granddaughter is slow doing homework, slow getting dressed, slow doing anything she is supposed to do. this is affecting her grades (she gets all A's but it takes her 6 hours to do homework every nite which is outrageous and taxing on the family), home life, etc. now apparently she can't even keep up in class because the teacher is "going too fast" for her standards. she's having crying fits at school because of this and the teacher has told my daughter she is worried about her and her "anxiety" prokblem.

teacher says she's a perfectionist and likes to take her time

i tell my daughter she needs to be punished so that she learns that sometimes in life you need to have a sense of urgency

how do other people deal with dawdling kids???? my daughter just puts up with it and says "she's a turtle, that's just how she is."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
I would suggest that rather than punishing her, she should be evaluated for anxiety disorder.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasbecky View Post
my 9 year old granddaughter is slow doing homework, slow getting dressed, slow doing anything she is supposed to do. this is affecting her grades (she gets all A's but it takes her 6 hours to do homework every nite which is outrageous and taxing on the family), home life, etc. now apparently she can't even keep up in class because the teacher is "going too fast" for her standards. she's having crying fits at school because of this and the teacher has told my daughter she is worried about her and her "anxiety" prokblem.

i tell my daughter she needs to be punished so that she learns that sometimes in life you need to have a sense of urgency

how do other people deal with dawdling kids???? my daughter just puts up with it and says "she's a turtle, that's just how she is."
Good grief woman - you do not punish a child who has a real psychological problem!

Get some professional guidance - or better yet, have the child's PARENTS get her some professional help.

If you don't help a child with anxiety and perfectionism learn to cope they grow into miserable adults unable to function in the real world without a lot of struggles.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 PM

33 posts, read 35,254 times
what? punish?

It could be many reasons. motor problems, meticulousness, carefulness, attention, etc.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
You and your daughter are both wrong.

Children shouldn't be punished for anxiety disorders. That will just make the anxiety worse.

Your daughter should stop viewing her as a turtle. She needs to get her daughter professional treatment for anxiety.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 18,663 times
yes, punish. i find it curious that she is NOT SLOW when it comes to things she wants to do, like playing extremely intricate and fast-moving video games, watching movies, spending hours on the computer, playing sports, going to theme parks, etc. she's real fast when it comes to those things.

i think she may be being passive aggressive here with the school work and with getting dressed in the morning and doing things she just doesn't give a hoot about

also while i assume the teacher has some training, she is certainly not qualified to diagnose anxiety disorder in a child. and lets face it, EVERY CHILD HAS ANXIETY DISORDER or ADD or ADHD these days. i think some of those diagnoses are legitimate, and many are not

i will recommend to my daughter that she be evaluated

but i think a lot of this is that she is a SPOILED BRAT

Old 10-25-2013, 07:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
yes, punish. i find it curious that she is NOT SLOW when it comes to things she wants to do, like playing extremely intricate and fast-moving video games, watching movies, spending hours on the computer, playing sports, going to theme parks, etc. she's real fast when it comes to those things.

i think she may be being passive aggressive here with the school work and with getting dressed in the morning and doing things she just doesn't give a hoot about

also while i assume the teacher has some training, she is certainly not qualified to diagnose anxiety disorder in a child. and lets face it, EVERY CHILD HAS ANXIETY DISORDER or ADD or ADHD these days. i think some of those diagnoses are legitimate, and many are not

i will recommend to my daughter that she be evaluated

but i think a lot of this is that she is a SPOILED BRAT
Wow.

And if she is "spoiled", SOMEBODY had to do that TO her. She didn't spoil herself.

Last edited by Jaded; 10-27-2013 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 10-25-2013, 07:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:

While it is true that dawdling can result from children's personalities, it seems her mother still has to deal with it since it is causing such disruption in the child's life.

It sounds like she has been this way since she was quite young, so I don't know that there have been any changes that might account for it. Still, does she have a new sibling? Did she just begin a new school? Think about anything that might be causing her to be distracted.

Instead of asking her to do things several times, try getting down on her level or touching her arm to get her attention and making sure she is hearing what you want her to do. Don't yell or lose your cool. Explain to her what the consequences of dawdling are. You won't have time enough to play before you leave or you will not get to go to a favorite activity.

Build extra time into her schedule.

Is the school work too hard? too easy? Can accommodations be made in the classroom that help her with that. Is the classroom too distracting? Could she be having problems with bullying? Is she a perfectionist wanting to do everything right so she takes her time? Is she getting enough sleep? Is she getting enough active play?

Do get an evaluation for anxiety or other possible disorders as well.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:

She might be a bit OCD, but then you have to look at what's going on in the home that would make her OCD and try to help her relax more so she can get her work done.

She may be so hung up on details, being too perfect that it's bogging her down. Perfectionists can end up always struggling because it's all or nothing, and in fact sometimes they end up failing completely for that reason.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,284 times
Now I don't care what YOUR VIEW IS of anxiety disorders, ADHD or add. But what you are describing needs professional help. You should seek separate treatment.

Your granddaughter is going to need tutoring to keep up with what is going on. And therapy to learn how to cope with whatever is slowing her down. She is struggling too. Don't forget that. You think a 9 year old wants to have a meltdown in front of their peers?! She is screaming for help. Help her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting