Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not me. I had the cute little L.A. boys who were every agent's dream. I was approached and I told them to stuff it. I know exactly how the industry works. I've seen the famous kids get screwed up and I've seen the kids nobody remembers get screwed up.

It's a totally artificial life. When you're a hit it's literally champagne and roses and a driver and a publicist and a tutor and lunch from craft servces and someone combing your hair for you. As soon as your show or film tanks you are back auditioning with the nobody's from Cleveland. It's the worst place in the world for a kid.
Sure. Let me know when it actually happens. Easy to say you would turn down the money when it's never been offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,609 times
My husband makes commercials for a living, he often works with kids.

Our kids aren't allowed near a set until they are 18 and not living in my house

Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times
I think Ministry of Gossip says a lot about this subject.

Commenting on others who have made an observation regarding what other families would do, I suspect that many families would take such offers. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Just not many get the offers.

The golden rule.
He who has the gold makes the rules.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,144 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byQIPdHMpjc

First, he needs to apologize for that song.

He knew what the industry was about; he knew what could happen to his daughter. It is hard to completely dismiss the fact that he wanted those 15 mins again; that he felt that he never got to leave on his terms but was a one-hit wonder. He was caught up in it.

But you don't leave your 15yo daughter alone in a photo shot while she is wrapped in a blanket. You just don't do that, especially w/ Annie Lebovitz. That has nothing to do w/ $$, it has to do w/ common sense & being a parent. That is when things started to get crazy for her & seems have only picked up speed.

In the end, it really is just plain sad. She is another train wreck that is happening.

Nope, wouldn't want that life.

Last edited by 121804; 02-16-2011 at 04:38 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,070 times
If you click on the link in the article that takes you to the original story in GQ magazine, he says he didn't make a dime which seems interesting....???

Not sure what that really means.

So what about Hilary Duff - she seems like one of those that is turning out sort of normal or maybe I've missed some sort of scandal.

It's sad this seems to happen to most of the child stars. Or maybe it seems like it does because you rarely hear about the ones that don't screw up their lives.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Sure. Let me know when it actually happens. Easy to say you would turn down the money when it's never been offered.
My point was: Knowing what I know about the business, which happens to be a lot, I would never have put my kids into the industry to start with.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:07 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not me. I had the cute little L.A. boys who were every agent's dream. I was approached and I told them to stuff it. I know exactly how the industry works. I've seen the famous kids get screwed up and I've seen the kids nobody remembers get screwed up.

It's a totally artificial life. When you're a hit it's literally champagne and roses and a driver and a publicist and a tutor and lunch from craft servces and someone combing your hair for you. As soon as your show or film tanks you are back auditioning with the nobody's from Cleveland. It's the worst place in the world for a kid.
To be fair, though, you and finster have inside knowledge about the business. Most parents don't know just how horrible it is and would love for their kids to be in it.

When I think of child stars gone bad I usually think of Hobie from Baywatch. It seems weird since that was really his only role, but I used to love that show and him. The reason he was forced off the show was due to his heroin use. He started marijuana at a very young age and moved on. Eventually, the show the kicked him off. He blamed David Hasselhoff saying that he should have been a better father figure. This was before it came out that David was a raving drunk.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:15 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
To be fair, though, you and finster have inside knowledge about the business. Most parents don't know just how horrible it is and would love for their kids to be in it.

When I think of child stars gone bad I usually think of Hobie from Baywatch. It seems weird since that was really his only role, but I used to love that show and him. The reason he was forced off the show was due to his heroin use. He started marijuana at a very young age and moved on. Eventually, the show the kicked him off. He blamed David Hasselhoff saying that he should have been a better father figure. This was before it came out that David was a raving drunk.
There are also many stars who make it just fine. Your not doomed to drugs and failure. Maybe higher risk but many stars do alright

Old 02-16-2011, 06:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
There are child stars who, to all appearances, turned out just fine: Jonathon Taylor Thomas, Kirk Cameron, Jodi Foster, Ron Howard, Shirley Temple (Black), and Danica McKellar come to mind.

But for the other side of the coin I'd suggest taking a minute to look at Paul Peterson's work on behalf of child actors. (Paul was a child star himself. He was on The Donna Reed Show and in the movie Houseboat.)

A Minor Consideration Website

It's a free country. If someone wants their child to go into show business that's their decision to make.

Adult actors are another matter all together. They're grown-ups (hopefully) and can choose what they want for themselves.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-16-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM

77 posts, read 171,424 times
“Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting