Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
No. If they do, report them to their council. Girl Scouts are not supposed to discriminate against anyone regardless of their political, religious, social, or sexual affiliations. And yes, I know the promise says "on my honor I will try to serve god..." but they flat out tell you if you don't believe or have different beliefs, please say it your way or drop the whole god part.
My troop in the early 2000s dropped the whole "I will try to serve god" part because we felt that it had no business in our troop. We also hiked, camped, did overnights at science museums, and went to space camp along with quilting blankets for breast cancer patients and other more typical "girly" things.

It's too bad that Girl Scouts is a much better organization but receives much less federal funding than Boy Scouts. I don't know how some of your children don't know that Boy Scouts is a deeply discriminating group- my brother left at age 12 when he found out and my cousin very recently chose not to move on after Cub Scouts because of their policy towards gays.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:24 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I had never really thought about this until I saw this thread, but we're a gay couple with two boys, so I suppose our boys would be banned. I was a cub scout and seriously, I don't remember getting anything out of it.
Your boys would not be banned. Of course not.

Our older boys did Cub Scouts for a few years and we led a Tiger den one year. It's fun, but pretty involved and my boys lost interest after awhile, plus we were busy with other things. We did enjoy the experience though. Denverian, we never knew or cared about the sexual orientation of other parents or anyone. It was a nonissue for us.

Our girls won't be involved with Girl Scouts, because the council in this area has links to groups I won't be involved with.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:03 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think that was uncalled-for because it suggests that gay scout leaders would be interested in scouts for sexual reasons, which is absurd. It's quite a prejudicial statement because somewhere along the way you are associating or confusing gay with pedophile.
Being able to read minds must be way cool.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I had never really thought about this until I saw this thread, but we're a gay couple with two boys, so I suppose our boys would be banned. I was a cub scout and seriously, I don't remember getting anything out of it.
Please, feel free to make things up if it helps you to make your point.
Without your libelous first sentence you don't have much to say.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
One of my brothers kids is now a Boy Scout. I remember being in the Boy Scouts when I was a kid and felt it was kind of a Nerdy activity. Most of the kids in Boy Scouts were the social outcasts. Is this still true?
FWIW, I've never met an Eagle Scout who didn't go on to become a success.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
My son is in Cub Scouts and I haven't seen any discrimination.

What is it that I am missing?

I haven't seen anything in the materials that seemed discriminatory.

Well I do have to edit this to add that they expect people to be religious to some degree, so I suppose that is discriminatory to people who are not religious...
Personally, I think the discrimination has been blown out of proportion. Essentially, homosexuality is a disqualifier to be a scout leader. There is a lot of "stupid" on both sides of the issue and the only thing that seems to stick in anyone's head is that "the BSA discriminates against gays."

Old 05-20-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Actually, there is tolerance for true morality, not the forcing of religious beliefs down people throats. If you think being a bigot is moral, I'd hate to see what you think is immoral.
The only group here practiceing 'throat shoving, is yours.
*How many lawsuits have been filed to force the scouts to submit?
*After the people have voted on gay marrage again you sue.
*You go after opponents personally resulting in boycots and firings.
*Miss Ca. lost the title for opposing your views. Not being satisfied
with that you organized a campaign to ruin her and you almost did.
This is only a partcial list of gay tolerance in action.
I can't wait to see their planed changes to school textbooks.
Starting at preschool I will add.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Your boys would not be banned. Of course not.

Our older boys did Cub Scouts for a few years and we led a Tiger den one year. It's fun, but pretty involved and my boys lost interest after awhile, plus we were busy with other things. We did enjoy the experience though. Denverian, we never knew or cared about the sexual orientation of other parents or anyone. It was a nonissue for us.

Our girls won't be involved with Girl Scouts, because the council in this area has links to groups I won't be involved with.
That's good to know. Of course at the age boys are in cub scouts, sexual orientation is no issue to them. The other thing is that if there's a cub scout troop at the grade school they'll attend, it's in a liberal, accepting area and other parents have no issues with us. We're not the only same sex parents in our neighborhood either. Troops proabaly tend to reflect their local communities.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Please, feel free to make things up if it helps you to make your point.
Without your libelous first sentence you don't have much to say.
What's that supposed to mean? I haven't researched the topic other than to have read a few articles that indicated the Boy Scouts think homosexuality is wrong and won't allow gay scout leaders. They're free to allow/ban who they want to work for them or join their group as far as I know.

From my personal memory of the scouts, it wasn't an overtly religious organization and there's probably a lot more made of this issue that there is an actual issue.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
I don't think the Cub Scouts were the "nerds" since the kids are still pretty young. Boy Scouts, I dunno.

What I don't like is the relgious requirements involved in it. Or the constant money flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting