Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Becoming an eagle scout is a great accomplishment. I wonder what percentage of kids in the scouts go on to become Eagle Scouts?
Overall, it's a small percentage because many drop out during the awkward years. Parents really need to force their children through those difficult years. I think it's a rare scout who makes it to Eagle without lots of encouragement and requirements from parents during the early teen years.

Quote:
The only things that I would be concerned about if my Son joined would be fear of pedofile's that might prey on them.
Scout leaders are often other parents! And the boyscouts has safety measures in place to protect scouts. No leader is permitted to be alone with a scout. There must always be multiple scouts present. They teach the buddy system so scouts are always with another scout. If anything, scouting teaches children how to protect themselves. They even have seminars on it for the scouts. If you're concerned about your son being targetted by pedofiles, become a leader yourself.

Quote:
And teasing they might get from others in school. It a shame that this is the kind of world we live in. I have a great respect for Scouts.
Most scouts do not even tell other people they are scouts. It's like a secret society.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:04 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
My son, now a year out of college, is an Eagle scout (an Eagle scout is ALWAYS an Eagle scout, even if he's a great-grandfather). Yes, he got teased for being a "nerd" and a "geek." He would then tell the teaser about the troop's latest outing. It could be canoeing, rapelling, a 110-mile hike at Philmont Scout Reservation in New Mexico, building a rope bridge, survival skills, learning about nuclear fission. He would then as the teaser what he had done the previous weekend. Usually it was playing video games all weekend.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you're concerned about your son being targetted by pedofiles, become a leader yourself.
Some parents ARE pedofiles! Yes...some children are sexually abused by their own parent! Note that I am not making an accusation of Stone28...but rather pointing out a misnomer in your (and common) thinking. Just because someone has a child, it does not mean that that person cannot be a pedofile!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Some parents ARE pedofiles! Yes...some children are sexually abused by their own parent! Note that I am not making an accusation of Stone28...but rather pointing out a misnomer in your (and common) thinking. Just because someone has a child, it does not mean that that person cannot be a pedofile!
Don't be silly. I'm merely pointing out that if someone is worried, they can become a leader so they are with their child.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:04 AM

sorry for being silly. I work with a guy that was a cub master and he was great with the kids...very involved and really got on the kids level. Unfortunately, he says that there was very little support or involvement by other parents...the kids loved him, but he was being used as a baby-sitter by the parents. Today's parents just don't have the time. The scouts (boy & girl) heyday was in the 50's when mom stayed home and dad got involved. Today, both parents work, which mean that their days (weekends) are full. Mom expects Dad to pull the same weight when it comes to the kids, cleaning, shopping, household chores.

BTW...that guy at work got promoted to management...which has become so taxing on him...he no longer is involved in scouts. One of his two boys has dropped out.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:19 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,667 times
I was in the cub scouts as a kid and I really can't remember anything nerdy about it. I learned the sport of archery in the scouts, which I still love today. I learned how to play guitar in the scouts, which I still love today. We were taught how to camp, fish, it taught social skills for dealing with other kids in groups and 1 on 1. I learned how to swim in the scouts, learned what berries are good to eat in the wild and so on. I really cannot remember a bad thing about it. Things may different today but back then I loved it.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 786,986 times
My oldest is a Star scout and I don't believe the scouts have a "nerdy" connotation here. Of course my son is an honor student and well behaved, so he may be considered "nerdy" by some, but those are the kids I don't want my son to emulate. I think the scouts teach good life lessons and values. It's a shame they are even seen as "nerdy" in some areas of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I was in the cub scouts as a kid and I really can't remember anything nerdy about it. I learned the sport of archery in the scouts, which I still love today. I learned how to play guitar in the scouts, which I still love today. We were taught how to camp, fish, it taught social skills for dealing with other kids in groups and 1 on 1. I learned how to swim in the scouts, learned what berries are good to eat in the wild and so on. I really cannot remember a bad thing about it. Things may different today but back then I loved it.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:00 PM

I think other kids think scouts is nerdy...to most kids today...it's just not "cool" to be in scouts. Due to peer-pressure, most scouts try to hide it from the other kids...until they are outed by someone that finds out.

But please...don't trust me...ask you kids!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:24 PM

It builds character, jfkIII. The nerds are the children who become successful adults. They're the scientists, mathematicians, doctors, etc. The nerds brought you the internet with which you're communicating right now. Who wouldn't want their children to be nerds is beyond me. Like I said, Bill Gates was a nerd. I'm sure he's not losing sleep over whatever teasing he endured. Children need stronger parents who can raise them up above adversity, not parents who protect and encourage them to avoid adversity.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 786,986 times
I agree with you, but I don't see the word "nerd" as necessary. My son is an honor student and a STAR scout at 12 years old (7th grade). He is a straight A student and does a lot of community service work through scouts. He is very popular at school and is far from an awkward "nerd."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It builds character, jfkIII. The nerds are the children who become successful adults. They're the scientists, mathematicians, doctors, etc. The nerds brought you the internet with which you're communicating right now. Who wouldn't want their children to be nerds is beyond me. Like I said, Bill Gates was a nerd. I'm sure he's not losing sleep over whatever teasing he endured. Children need stronger parents who can raise them up above adversity, not parents who protect and encourage them to avoid adversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting