Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
hmmm, isn't there a glue-eating badge???
Ha! There should be. She got a warning and then she kept doing it, so out she went.

It's funny the things we remember. Not sure I can remember her name, but 27 yrs later I remember the glue incident.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:56 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
The Boy Scouts are great. They do not teach intolerance, they teach moral values although I understand there is no tolerance for moral values now days.
Actually, there is tolerance for true morality, not the forcing of religious beliefs down people throats. If you think being a bigot is moral, I'd hate to see what you think is immoral.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Actually, there is tolerance for true morality, not the forcing of religious beliefs down people throats.
Nobody is forcing anyone to join the boy scouts, emjbulls.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I think the survival skills learned by boy scouts are very useful to kids, but there are better things that can teach them.
Most of the merit badges are career oriented. Boy scouts gain much guidance in learning career paths.

They learn leadership and mentoring.

They learn the importance of contributing to the community.

Goodness, the list of things taught to the boy scouts is endless.

Read the Scout Oath and Scout Law:

Quote:
Boy Scout Oath, Law, Motto, and Slogan
Scout Oath (or Promise)

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law

TRUSTWORTHY
A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.

LOYAL
A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation.

HELPFUL
A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward.

FRIENDLY
A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own.

COURTEOUS
A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together.

KIND
A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.

OBEDIENT
A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them.

CHEERFUL
A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.

THRIFTY
A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.

BRAVE
A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him.

CLEAN
A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.

REVERENT
A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Scout Motto
Be Prepared

Scout Slogan
Do a Good Turn Daily
They recite the scout oath and scout law at every meeting. They experience and live it through actions.

To move up in each rank, they not only need to complete various badges, but they need to clock a certain amount of community service hours, and maintain various positions of leadership, each with it's own responsibilities, for a certain time period.

Boy scouts are not just learning 20 ways to start a fire, floridadreamer.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:46 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not what I said. I am a girl, I was never in the BOY scouts. But, what I did say is that I didn't get much use out of brownies because the boys got to do more camping and survival type things than we did. I didn't take time to read the oath and what not you put on there, but I know when my brother was in it, the oath included "God" and not everyone believes in god. Also, I don't think i saw anything about being "open-minded or accepting of ALL people on there. It does say this though, "He respects the beliefs of others."

The career teach thing would explain why I though Girl Scouts was more work than it was fun. I personally think kids need to have time to "play" Being involved in Boy or Girl Scouts is actually very time consuming the older they get so it would depend on the child I guess whether I would let them do it.

I am, BTW, one of THE MOST open minded people you will EVER come across, so you don't need to try to convince me of anything. If I make a statement, it's not necessary to take it personally, because I won't be a part of any back and forth arguing. Everyone has a piont of view and has a right to voice it in the correct "forum".

Good Day. ~dreamer~

Last edited by floridadreamer; 08-14-2007 at 02:59 PM..

Old 08-14-2007, 03:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Actually, there is tolerance for true morality, not the forcing of religious beliefs down people throats. If you think being a bigot is moral, I'd hate to see what you think is immoral.
If you see a drug dealer or prostitute it does not make you a bigot to advise your children that these are the kind of people to stay away from. Bigot is a a word thrown out there to try to silence common sense.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:35 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most of the merit badges are career oriented. Boy scouts gain much guidance in learning career paths.

They learn leadership and mentoring.

They learn the importance of contributing to the community.

Goodness, the list of things taught to the boy scouts is endless.

Read the Scout Oath and Scout Law:

They recite the scout oath and scout law at every meeting. They experience and live it through actions.

To move up in each rank, they not only need to complete various badges, but they need to clock a certain amount of community service hours, and maintain various positions of leadership, each with it's own responsibilities, for a certain time period.

Unfortunately, not all boy scouts adhere, nor grow up to be great citizens. Dylan Klebold, one of the two student masterminds of the Columbine shooting in Colorado, was indeed, a boy scout.

It is within the child of what to do with what they learn. Conversely, two heros in that same massacre (who, with a teacher, prevented more death, by shielding others) were Eagle Scouts.

Boy scouts, alone, cannot guarantee success.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Boy scouts, alone, cannot guarantee success.
Nobody ever said that scouts alone guarantees success. I was merely showing floridadreamer that scouts are taught more than survival skills.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:10 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Yes...and some use what they learn in good ways; others in bad.

Last edited by jfkIII; 08-14-2007 at 05:56 PM..

Old 08-14-2007, 07:08 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
If you see a drug dealer or prostitute it does not make you a bigot to advise your children that these are the kind of people to stay away from. Bigot is a a word thrown out there to try to silence common sense.
Well what do you call discriminating against people? Decency? Bigot is a word used to try to show common people some sense.

There is no reason to ban gay people from the job except bigotry. Here's a hint. Substitute the word black, or Jew, or any other group that has been persecuted. If you'd cringe, then it's a biggoted saying. Let's try it: The boy scouts refuse to have black scout masters. The boy scouts refuse to have Jewish scout leaders. Sounds just as bad as if you say the boy scouts refuse to have gay scout leaders. Sorry, getting upset because someone called you a bigot for being against gay people is the same as someone in the KKK getting mad at being called a bigot for being against black people. If you don't like the title, then don't present yourself as one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting