Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Well what do you call discriminating against people? Decency? Bigot is a word used to try to show common people some sense.

There is no reason to ban gay people from the job except bigotry. Here's a hint. Substitute the word black, or Jew, or any other group that has been persecuted. If you'd cringe, then it's a biggoted saying. Let's try it: The boy scouts refuse to have black scout masters. The boy scouts refuse to have Jewish scout leaders. Sounds just as bad as if you say the boy scouts refuse to have gay scout leaders. Sorry, getting upset because someone called you a bigot for being against gay people is the same as someone in the KKK getting mad at being called a bigot for being against black people. If you don't like the title, then don't present yourself as one.
Being black, or Jew, or any other group has nothing to do with their sexual attractions or gender confusion and all those groups have publicly stated they are deeply offended by the comparison.

If you hire a man for a job and he shows up dressed like a woman the business should have every right to fire that employee.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:36 AM

11 posts, read 45,795 times
Scouting is an important aspect in the training and maturing of our youth. With only 1-1.5% of all boys reaching the rank of Eagle, you know there must be some pretty lofty expectations and requirements. I love Scouting and all of my kids have been involved. BUT, I myself was involved as an adult, also. Call me overprotective but I did not just haphazardly allow my boys to go camping with just any adult or older boys that I did not know...I am a parent first and foremost. The safety of my kids is of upmost importance.....And you know what?? To my knowledge, nothing horrible ever happened to any of my kids!!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:04 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Being black, or Jew, or any other group has nothing to do with their sexual attractions or gender confusion and all those groups have publicly stated they are deeply offended by the comparison.

If you hire a man for a job and he shows up dressed like a woman the business should have every right to fire that employee.
I'm a Jew and I'm not offended by the comparison. But thanks for speaking for me.

I'm sorry that the values you teach your children include bigotry and hatred for others. I'm sorry that the values you teach your children include isolating people for being different. I'm sorry that your values teach you to never think for yourself. I'm sorry your values teach your children that hating other people because they are different. I'm sorry your values teach you an unprovable book is more important than how you treat people here on Earth. Values are about more than being able to quote a book and until people like you get it, you will continue to create a more hostile world towards people like you. Why you ask? Because people don't like bigots and are tired of having them wave their false ideas of morality around just because they shout the loudest. It's time people start standing up to bullies like you who look to exclude people because of you think you have some hotline to God. Don't be offended by being called a bigot if that's how you present yourself. Act like one, and that's the title you deserve. I'm sure the bigots you surround yourself with will tell you what a great person you are, but bottom line, you exclude people and you're not. Let your little cult and friends pat you on the back and tell you how righteous you are for being a bigot. It doesn't make it any less so.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:52 AM
ARC

181 posts, read 786,628 times
Wow man - calm down! You are being presumptuous, painting all Boy Scouts' parents as bigots. Some of us use it as a starting point to talk about these issues with our sons, and we let them make up their own minds. My son's troop doesn't talk about these issues (religion/God OR homosexuality) and I KNOW they are not teaching these boys to hate others who believe differently. I think the fact that scouting teaches responsibility to community and the environment and respect for self outweighs any unfortunate fall-out because of scouts being a semi-religious organization.

Quote:
I'm a Jew and I'm not offended by the comparison. But thanks for speaking for me.

I'm sorry that the values you teach your children include bigotry and hatred for others. I'm sorry that the values you teach your children include isolating people for being different. I'm sorry that your values teach you to never think for yourself. I'm sorry your values teach your children that hating other people because they are different. I'm sorry your values teach you an unprovable book is more important than how you treat people here on Earth. Values are about more than being able to quote a book and until people like you get it, you will continue to create a more hostile world towards people like you. Why you ask? Because people don't like bigots and are tired of having them wave their false ideas of morality around just because they shout the loudest. It's time people start standing up to bullies like you who look to exclude people because of you think you have some hotline to God. Don't be offended by being called a bigot if that's how you present yourself. Act like one, and that's the title you deserve. I'm sure the bigots you surround yourself with will tell you what a great person you are, but bottom line, you exclude people and you're not. Let your little cult and friends pat you on the back and tell you how righteous you are for being a bigot. It doesn't make it any less so.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
Wow man - calm down! You are being presumptuous, painting all Boy Scouts' parents as bigots. Some of us use it as a starting point to talk about these issues with our sons, and we let them make up their own minds. My son's troop doesn't talk about these issues (religion/God OR homosexuality) and I KNOW they are not teaching these boys to hate others who believe differently. I think the fact that scouting teaches responsibility to community and the environment and respect for self outweighs any unfortunate fall-out because of scouts being a semi-religious organization.

I wasn't addressing every single boy scout parent, just the ones who imply that gay people and people who defend the rights of them are some part of a moral failing.

BTW, I'm not a man. And I'm not even gay. But I think if we let religious zealots dictate who does and who does not get rights, then who knows who they will go for next for not believing in their unprovable book. I'm not willing to let the rights of others be swept under the rug just because it doesn't apply to me. One day it might and I'd hope someone would stand up for my kind of people.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
It seems that some people are unaware of the fact that not all scouts' parents are Christian.

Not all scouts' parents believe that homosexuality creates sexual predators either.

I personally feel that extremely conservative religious views creates sexual predators; however, that's a discussion for a different forum entirely.

I'm not an extremist who would ban or embrace a group simply because of it's position on this issue. I'm a middle of the road person who respects the boy scouts has a right to be faith based in God. Whether or not I agree with all of the positions of religion, I can embrace the other positive experiences and values provided by the boy scout organization.

Although most religions believe that homosexuality is immoral, that doesn't mean that all followers of a religion believe so, nor does it mean that every member of the boy scouts believes so either.

If someone is athiest, they wouldn't be trying to join a church; therefore, there's no darn good reason an athiest should be trying to join a faith-based organization like the boy scouts.

And if someone is homosexual and believes in God, well that's something they'll have to rectify with God, not the boy scouts.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 786,628 times
Your point is taken. And sorry, I didn't realize you are a woman.

I'm right there with you on not wanting the religious right to influence laws/rights for everyone else. Since the Boy Scouts is a private organization, though, they can get away with deciding who becomes a leader or a scout and who does not based on their beliefs.

I have never understood, though, how the Boy Scouts can get federal funding when they are considered a "private organization" and they can exclude certain people from their ranks. It always kind of bothered me that the Boy Scouts got federal $$ while the Girl Scouts got nothing.

Quote:
I wasn't addressing every single boy scout parent, just the ones who imply that gay people and people who defend the rights of them are some part of a moral failing.

BTW, I'm not a man. And I'm not even gay. But I think if we let religious zealots dictate who does and who does not get rights, then who knows who they will go for next for not believing in their unprovable book. I'm not willing to let the rights of others be swept under the rug just because it doesn't apply to me. One day it might and I'd hope someone would stand up for my kind of people.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:54 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,029 times
Quote:

We teach our children good common sense that some people make choices that are unhealthy or unwholesome. Common sense has nothing to do with hatred. That is your spiel. By the way I do not even attend church and although I believe in the Bible I do not need it to know right from wrong when all the statistics clearly show what is harmful. As for bigotry you should review your posts on mothers and Christians.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
I have never understood, though, how the Boy Scouts can get federal funding when they are considered a "private organization" and they can exclude certain people from their ranks. It always kind of bothered me that the Boy Scouts got federal $$ while the Girl Scouts got nothing.
I had no idea that boy scouts received federal funding. That's wrong. The government should be held accountable for that.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
We teach our children good common sense that some people make choices that are unhealthy or unwholesome. Common sense has nothing to do with hatred. That is your spiel. By the way I do not even attend church and although I believe in the Bible I do not need it to know right from wrong when all the statistics clearly show what is harmful. As for bigotry you should review your posts on mothers and Christians.
You're right, I'm a big 'ole bigot for asking people to stop being such intolerant bigots. Yep, I'm a bigot against bigots. At least I can admit I don't like people that hide behind "morality" as an excuse to treat people as second class citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting