Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,368 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot that can be done about fine hair. Its genetics, just like any other characteristic such as eye color, body type, etc. I have always had very fine hair. I'm half scandinavian, so my hair is blonde and very fine and thin. I've always wished I had thicker hair, but it is what it is. When I was little, my Mom always put my hair in pig tails, they looked like little strings but very cute. Otherwise, always keep it well conditioned and use a detangling product, since fine hair tangles more easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
I have fine hair and my daughter did as a young child though hers thickened around 10 or 11.

Static electricity is your enemy! Don't ever use a natural fiber brush- use a comb or plasticy brush. Avoid hats, especially fleece ones - they make a halo of static hair!

Just a tiny dab of conditioner will do. Too much product weighs down baby fine hair and makes it worse.

And my trick for hair bows was to wrap the metal band part of the clip with a small rubberband so it could cling to the hair - otherwise they just slide on out.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,702 times
my little girl is also the same and she is almost five! she hasnt got enought to put a bobble or grips in, its quite upsetting when all of her friends have thick french plaits and bunches. just hoping time will sort it out!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
I wouldn't worry so much about it. I didn't think our daughter would ever grow hair, lol. It wasn't until she was around 3 that her hair actually started to grow. She took after my side of the family and most of the females in my family have fine, straw straight hair. She just turned 10 and her hair is much thicker now. Give it time.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My daughter has very fine hair and what works best for us is the chin-length bob haircut. An added bonus is that she can brush her hair by herself. We usually use Suave kids morning hair tamer spray or Pantene gel for fine hair.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
An A-line bob, stacked short in the back with bangs is a good look for fine hair. Fine hair on kids can change-but some do not.

Cute Toddler Girl Hairstyles | ModernMom.com

I'm sure you have found that barrettes fall out and sometimes can actually cut through silk fine hair. --so a hairstyle that doesn't need anything holding it up or back works better. My granddaughter has fine, almost white hair. She is only 15 months and like your daughter it grows very slowly.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I have very, very thick, coarse, wavy hair, too--and I am completely of Anglo-Saxon origin (Dutch and English).

But I had a daughter with thin, straight, wispy hair. I had no idea what to do with it, either. It wouldn't hold a curl and I couldn't get barrettes or anything to stay in her hair. By the time she hit kindergarten, it started to thicken somewhat. Time is probably the right answer.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 PM

133 posts, read 183,066 times
I have thick, curly hair, but until I was about 6, it was about half the thickness that it eventually came to be. So I'd agree that it will most likely thicken in a couple of years.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,020 times
My daughter has very less, dry and thin it os growing but slowly slowly shes going to turn three now what should i do should i make her bald which i dont want but every one is insisting to me do that.. Is making bald is a solution???

Old 05-23-2016, 06:09 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
My daughter's hair was very fine when she was three. It didn't really start to thicken until she was five. It got thicker and thicker. She's in high school now w/ a gorgeous head of hair.
Same for my younger daughter. Like a fuzzy peach until about 4, thin hair until about 10, Long lovely thick blonde hair now at 15. Quite the contrast from her older sister who had a head of hair like Elvis when she was born. They both had short bobs until about Kindergarten, then they could choose for themselves.

I'm stunned that you would bother to blowdry her hair. If you are imposing your need for her hair to be thick on her now, what will you be imposing on her in the years to come?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting