Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:52 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,446,920 times

Advertisements

I am 2/3 through reading "The Winter of Our Disconnect" By Susan Maushart and at every page I keep thinking that every parent of teenagers should read it.

It is the journal of an American single mother who lives in Australia with her 3 teenage children and her decision of removing all technological gadgets (computer, tv, ipods, wii, etc.) from their home for 6 months.

She alternates the everyday journal with statistics and results from different studies on the effects of too much technology on teenagers. Very compelling and informative.

Here is a link to one of the many reviews I found on the book.

Byron Bay Writers Festival - Review of The Winter of our Disconnect by Susan Maushart (http://www.byronbaywritersfestival.com.au/v1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=642&Item id=52 - broken link)

Has anybody else read it?

Last edited by hutch5; 03-07-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,544,808 times
No, but can't wait to get a copy!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,938,653 times
I have not read it, although I went and read the excerpt. And while the book sounds like an interesting read, and to each his own, as a parent of a teen I think more importantly they should to taught HOW to use technology, how to have balance with it, etc.

All of these gadgets are not horrible things. But with anything, too much is not good. It's all about balance.

My son has learned how to completely restore his Jeep 100% on his own - by researching and learning about it on the internet. It's been a great learning experience for him. As a result, he'd rather be out in the garage piddling with his Jeep than playing xbox (he barely touches it anymore) or watching t.v.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,991,679 times
Sounds like a good book!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,036,586 times
I flat out absolutely positively would not want to live without my Ipod.

I listen to books and podcasts at night when I fall asleep.

I listen to music at all times of day (hook it up to the stereo)....

What is the point of life without books and music?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,446,920 times
I totally agree, I could not live without either books or music. But you cannot tell me that before the the ipod was invented people would not read or listen to music.

The point of the Experiment, as it was called, was to discover that one could live very well without some of these gadgets and expecially without the total dependance on them that some of us are developing. In addition this family rediscovered basic social skills that they had forgotten.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,857,984 times
Are people allowed to read this book on their kindle?????

Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,036,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
But you cannot tell me that before the the ipod was invented people would not read or listen to music.

Well, duh, of course not.

But I truthfully don't understand how an Ipod is THAT different from a stereo and CDs, with or without headphones.

If the kids are way too disconnected with their earbuds in from the Ipod....maybe limit the use, but why go without completely? I don't get it.

The other things, console games, etc., I can understand, but an Ipod is so innocuous.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,230,598 times
I think it's a fantastic idea.......and I can think of a number of families that would probably benefit from this!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,077,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Well, duh, of course not.

But I truthfully don't understand how an Ipod is THAT different from a stereo and CDs, with or without headphones.

If the kids are way too disconnected with their earbuds in from the Ipod....maybe limit the use, but why go without completely? I don't get it.

The other things, console games, etc., I can understand, but an Ipod is so innocuous.
Ipods are small, portable, and with the buds in your ears, it's easy to be cut off from those around you.

I love my ipod. But you can't compare them to a stereo at home or, even, a Walkman. And you sure can't compare them to a boom box.

Don't suppose you ever carried a boombox around? Those things were ridiculas. I'm thankful someone invented something smaller.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-10-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting