Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If your senior wanted to attend "Beach Week" with 12 other teens, and no parents, an hour
No way. Not even WITH a parent. It's a recipe for disaster. 17 19.10%
No way. No parents...no go. If we can agree on parents staying, as was the original plan, then okay. 26 29.21%
Kid can go if he/she pays, and you (their parent) are free to show up at anytime to see how things are going. 19 21.35%
Sure...no problem. Go have a great time. Here's some money. See you in a week. 15 16.85%
Something other that the above...and please explain below. 12 13.48%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:17 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You must not be very old yourself. Of COURSE it's legal. Just go try and rent a car before you are 25. Just because you turn 18, there is no magical maturity wand that gets waved over you. And obviously, businesses have to take this into consideration. They would be foolish to do otherwise.
I'm renting a car tomorrow and only getting charged $5 extra, I'm not paying since I am not the one needing the car but my 20 year old friend needs to rent it and were driving to kansas to repo a car, its going under my name and he's paying but I CAN rent a car just with a small fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You must not be very old yourself. Of COURSE it's legal. Just go try and rent a car before you are 25. Just because you turn 18, there is no magical maturity wand that gets waved over you. And obviously, businesses have to take this into consideration. They would be foolish to do otherwise.
No, actually I'm older than dirt, or at least that's what my kids tell me.
Back in ye olden days most places did consider you an adult at 18. I don't ever remember that kind of thing happening when when I was that age.

Perhaps this is more of a problem when it concerns large groups, or in areas that are popular with the spring break crowds?
My own kids are early twenties but apparently have never run into this sort of issue. They haven't been turned away from renting with friends at hotels or lake cabins or things of that nature, can't speak to the car rental as that's never come up.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM

242 posts, read 534,015 times
I'm not a parent, but when I graduated HS, me & pretty much my entire senior class packed up and went down to Ocean City, MD for a week ("Senior Week"). With my group of friends, the 8 girls stayed in one house and the guys stayed in another. Not to say we stayed in our house the whole time, but no one got hurt. Yeah we may have made a few bad decisions but we all still made it out alright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting