Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
For me it's more about thinking outside the box. My kids have received hundreds of those goodie bags, all they do is toss them aside. The problem is people are spending 5 or 10 bucks on a goodie bag which the kids don't even enjoy, it's a huge waste both of stuff and money. Pretty much most people do it because that's what you do, and that's what everyone else does, and I don't thing the kids enjoy them much, which after all is the point. I rather spend the time finding one item that the kids will actually enjoy, and that is not too expensive.
Oh, I could strangle whoever came up with the 'goodie bag' idea! It usually is just junk that your kid never looks at again. A waste of time (and money) for the parents who bought it; and the parents that have to find another place to put it.

When my son got a little older, with his full permission, we sent out invitations that said 'no gifts please'. We had a pool party, the kids had a great time; no one had to buy a gift that would never get used AND I didn't have to hand out goodie bags that would just end up in someone's trash.

It was a win-win and I'm only sorry I waited so long to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:53 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Oh, I could strangle whoever came up with the 'goodie bag' idea! It usually is just junk that your kid never looks at again. A waste of time (and money) for the parents who bought it; and the parents that have to find another place to put it.

When my son got a little older, with his full permission, we sent out invitations that said 'no gifts please'. We had a pool party, the kids had a great time; no one had to buy a gift that would never get used AND I didn't have to hand out goodie bags that would just end up in someone's trash.

It was a win-win and I'm only sorry I waited so long to do it.
bravo to you and thanks for not perpetuating that ridiculously silly practice.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 PM

313 posts, read 727,775 times
At my daughter's party's when she was younger I always included during the party some art or craft project. The kids always loved it and the finished product gave them something to take home at the end of the party.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Yes, I like the"favor" ideas that someone else mentioned... piece of cake, ballon and party hat.
That IS a goodie bag. At least, that's what we called it when I was growing up. Do you think they're stuffing Gucci purses with Chanel perfume or something? I mean, for a 7-year-old kid's party, you can go to the Dollar Store and find kiddie coloring books at 50 cents each, and boxes of crayons at 2 boxes of 4 for a dollar...

A bag of 50 balloons is a buck, and a 3-pack of shiny colored paper bags is a buck OR you can make your own with wrapping paper and scotch tape, at approximately $2.50 for 30 bags.

You can also make yummy carrot cake (without nuts of course, since everyone and their brother is allergic) cupcakes with just a tiny smear of frosting instead of an inch thick...

And fill those goodie bags to the brim for under $1.50 each.

If you're spending a few HUNDRED dollars on "entertainment" then you can spring $30 for thank you favors.

My parents didn't have to spend a fortune on entertainment. We had the obligatory pin the nose on the clown, with the clown's face scotch-taped to the outside of the garage wall. We had "okay everyone in their bathingsuits - it's time to wreck 10 square feet of lawn with the sprinkler and screaming kids." We had races, and croquet, and dad grilled hotdogs and hamburgers and mom made WAY too much potato salad...and of course mom made the cake with Betty Crocker frosting.

And if they spent $40 total (this was in the 1960's, today's money would be probably around $100), I'd be very surprised.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
I was never very creative when it came to my kids parties (honestly, I'm not creative at anytime), but one thing I did know how to do well was fill a goodie bag. I used to have a blast searching out cool things at rock bottom prices. I looked upon it as a challenge, and, my small contribution to the party since I never held them at home. You would be amazed at the things you can find if you are looking for party favors. Home Depot sells cool little flashlights for $.99. Office supply stores have mega packs of pencils and markers that can be split up, etc.

Of the dozens of parties my kids have gone to , I only remember one where goody bags weren't handed out. I probably remember it because my son was disappointed. But, I don't have a clue who threw the party, so, do whatever feels right. In the overall scheme of things it won't matter a whit.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Of the dozens of parties my kids have gone to , I only remember one where goody bags weren't handed out. I probably remember it because my son was disappointed. But, I don't have a clue who threw the party, so, do whatever feels right. In the overall scheme of things it won't matter a whit.
I'm not trying to be difficult here, but this exemplifies the point I'm trying to make. When did it become not enough for a kid to go to a birthday party, have fun with friends, play games, swim, climb, skate, do whatever activity they have at the party, eat pizza, eat cake, and then be disappointed if they don't recieve an actual bag full of candy and plastic trinkets?

And no, a goodie "bag" is not the piece of cake, hat and balloon that a kid gets. It's the extra "bag" of little objects that parents hand out. These are what I'm referring to.

I just prefer my own kids to not expect to always be given something. They got to go have fun playing at a party. They got to eat cake. The birthday kid got presents. They will get presents on their birthday. It's just like I don't want my kids to think every time I take them into a store, they are going to get something.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, there were no goodie bags when I grew up. The neighbor kids came and played, ate cake and went home. Times have sure changed. I don't think some things changed for the better or to make our kids better people. I realize that some people may think that I'm way over the top on this and I'm ranting, but I just feel that this is just one example of something that was created to make all the kids at the party not feel "left out" because the birthday kid is getting all the presents.
[and yes, I used to walked to school in snow storms too!]

Old 03-13-2011, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm old fashioned, there were no goodie bags when I grew up. The neighbor kids came and played, ate cake and went home. Times have sure changed. I don't think some things changed for the better or to make our kids better people. I realize that some people may think that I'm way over the top on this and I'm ranting, but I just feel that this is just one example of something that was created to make all the kids at the party not feel "left out" because the birthday kid is getting all the presents.
I bet I'm older than you, my kids are grown, and I remember goody bags from when I was a kid. Maybe it's different cultures, though I grew up in a different state than my kids. Party "favors" have been around for a long time. You go to a wedding, you get a favor. You go to a company Christmas party, you usually get a favor of some sort. And so forth.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Yeah the neighbor kids came and played, ate cake, and went home most days. Birthdays were special. Birthdays were when they did MORE stuff, it was a celebration, there were gifts exchanged, and the guests were given a little trinket or memento to THANK THEM FOR SHARING THIS SPECIAL EVENT.

That is the function of a goodie bag. To thank the guest for sharing the event. It doesn't have to be expensive, or significant. I remember one year at someone's party we got little flip books and candy lipsticks. Another year we got what I now realize were prizes out of cracker-jacks boxes and wash-off tattoos.

It was always just a little nothing in addition to the leftover cake, in a decorated bag with a plastic ribbon and our name in Magic Marker on one side so we'd go home thinking "this is for me!" because my friend had the good manners to give me a token of his appreciation that I came to his party.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be difficult here, but this exemplifies the point I'm trying to make. When did it become not enough for a kid to go to a birthday party, have fun with friends, play games, swim, climb, skate, do whatever activity they have at the party, eat pizza, eat cake, and then be disappointed if they don't recieve an actual bag full of candy and plastic trinkets?

And no, a goodie "bag" is not the piece of cake, hat and balloon that a kid gets. It's the extra "bag" of little objects that parents hand out. These are what I'm referring to.

I just prefer my own kids to not expect to always be given something. They got to go have fun playing at a party. They got to eat cake. The birthday kid got presents. They will get presents on their birthday. It's just like I don't want my kids to think every time I take them into a store, they are going to get something.

Well LK, every revolution starts somewhere. If enough parents stop with the goodie bags, then kids will stop expecting them. I know a while back there was some sort of movement to end "over-the-top" birthday parties all together, and I thought it was a good thing.

I don't remember goodie bags when I was a kid either, but it was the norm to have prizes to give out for the party games. At my 5th birthday party my mother had purchased enough prizes so each child would end up going home with something, but I fouled up her plans by winning the first couple of games, then throwing a fit when she wouldn't award me a prize. Needless to say, that was the last party I was given for a looooong time.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Well LK, every revolution starts somewhere. If enough parents stop with the goodie bags, then kids will stop expecting them. I know a while back there was some sort of movement to end "over-the-top" birthday parties all together, and I thought it was a good thing.

I don't remember goodie bags when I was a kid either, but it was the norm to have prizes to give out for the party games. At my 5th birthday party my mother had purchased enough prizes so each child would end up going home with something, but I fouled up her plans by winning the first couple of games, then throwing a fit when she wouldn't award me a prize. Needless to say, that was the last party I was given for a looooong time.
The birthday party described in the OP is "over the top" if you ask me. Hundreds of dollars for entertainment? I'll bet the 7 year olds won't really even appreciate it, not to that extent. Then the parent wants to do the party bags on the cheap.

I remember my mom always insisting that everybody get a prize for something. This was back in the 50s, so this is not something new. Parties should not just glorify the party kid and not recognize the guests at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting