Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 AM

109 posts, read 757,442 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried cloth diapers? I see the new versions are velcro. Are they really cheaper than disposables? The prices I see are about $45 for a 5-pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Here is a recent thread about cloth vs disposable.
link

Old 07-25-2007, 11:22 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akire View Post
Has anyone tried cloth diapers? I see the new versions are velcro. Are they really cheaper than disposables? The prices I see are about $45 for a 5-pack.
I don't know about cheaper, but they probably could be...I just thought eeewwww and didn't use them for that reason.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:36 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I used cloth for some of the time with my first son, but quit after awhile. By the time you buy enough diapers (and you need a lot unless you intend on doing a lot of wash), plastic diaper covers, and a diaper service, it is not cheaper. We did not have a diaper service where I lived so I washed them all myself. It gets really old. You obviously have to wash them in a load alone. You have to clean all the poop that clings to the diaper before you can wash it. They cannot sit long at all in a diaper hamper before they begin to smell pretty bad. They are much more bulkier when worn as far as how the baby's cloths fit. They do not fit as well as a disposable diaper and you get leg blowouts. I even washed them and hung them outdoors to air dry. Well that works until it rains, snows or freezes, or until bugs that like the moisture land all over them, or until the birds look at your clothline as a nice place to land and your diapers have bird poop on them. I finally gave up the quest to help the enviornment and give my son a natural diaper experience.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:44 PM

14 posts, read 48,406 times
My daughter was allergic to every disposable & when medications did not help, we switched the cloth -- LOVED IT!

I used Bumkins, Chumbas or HappyHeinys with Chinese PreFolds for the daytime & Kissaluvs with CPFs + Stacinator double fleece covers at night.

I had a water proof zipper bag for dirty diapers (1 large at home, 1 small in the diaper bag) & it became a very easy habit to just unzip the bag & dump them into the wash every other day. Deodisks & baking soda handled the smell.

It only became yucky when my daughter started eating solid foods, but we exclusively breastfed until 9-12 months & by 18 months she was tossing clean diapers at me to signal that she needed to use the potty

You'll find lots of cloth diapering forums via Google. My 1 stash lasted the whole time & I estimate that I saved literally thousands of $

Old 07-27-2007, 04:52 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
My kids are all grown, but when they were babies we used cloth diapers. My mother would have killed me if I put disposable on them!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 PM
DSO

57 posts, read 76,500 times
I used cloth on my daughter as a baby, loved it. Now she uses nothing but cloth on her babies! In fact she has become quite the cloth diaper advocate, and has even authored a book, maintains a website etc. I don't know that I can post her URL without breaking forum rules, but you are welcome to private message me and I will send you the link if you are interested.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
after changing my little girls diapers for 1.5 years. ewww.... no way in heck am i keeping them things in my house while i wait for the delivery service or to put them in the wash.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:45 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Are you ****ting me?
In the 60's, before diposables, I experienced the joy of cloth diapers. Do not even think about it.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:02 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akire View Post
There's a heavy start-up cost, but in the long run, it's SOOOO much cheaper and it's infinitely easier with the Velcro. Plus, a lot of them are just adorable.

Think of it this way: A pack of 228 Pampers costs $38.00 right now. Your average newborn baby goes through approximately 10 diapers/day. Therefore, you'll blast through that box of Pampers in +/- 23 days.

OTOH, let's say you buy three five-packs of diapers -- ten per day plus five in the wash, and you paid $135 for it. Those fifteen diapers will last you basically until the baby outgrows them, so basically, I would think at least five months or so or more, depending on the baby, how much you wash them, whether you use the dryer (VERY hard on CDs), and so on.

At five months, therefore, you'd be spending your $135. By contrast, you'd need approximately 1500 disposable diapers (at 30 days/month times 10 diapers/day times 5 months). That will cost you about $250 -- and you won't be able to re-use the disposable diapers for Child #2, which you can with the cloth diapers Child #1 grew out of. Assuming that your child toilet-trains at a generous 30 months or so, you would have saved approximately $690 over that time.

I don't know about you, but I can think of lots better things to do with seven hundred bucks besides throw it down the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting