Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:59 PM

134 posts, read 342,849 times

Advertisements

Nope. I'm saying he finally realizes how serious the decisions he made the last two months affect him both legally and academically. He's starting to see consequences he doesn't like. Beforehand, he minimized everything and thought I was making a big deal about things.

He chose his classes for the past 3 years and he needs to follow through with his decisions. He knows he has graduation requirements that he has only 12 weeks left to accomplish them. He has to go to school on time or seek medical advice or treatment to explain his un-regulated sleep patterns.

I think he was in shock to see how he did not complete or passed the majority of his assignments the past two months. He didn't think it was that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTess View Post
I didn't say much because I didn't want to get into an arguement with my son in front of his teachers.

I know the admin wasn't very happy about the recruiter discussion about medication with students. I don't know what they intend to do about it. The military recruiting information and staff have information about the armed forces and I heard another annoucement about ASVAB testing this week.... so it's not unwelcomed at the school.

I guess what I'm trying to say is as a parent, I'm realizing I need to communicate better with him. I'm so used to micro managing him and have had to learn to quit doing that last year.... sigh. I'm glad the school is allowing him to retest on failing exams.
A few thoughts: Good job on not getting into that particular argument. I'm sure you wanted to. It would only have made things worse so on that you get an "A".

I highly doubt the school is going to "do anything about it". There are parents out there who welcome their children going into the military. Were I you I'd find some of those parents and start talking to them.

Another for realising you need to communicate with him better. Now keep it up. If he says something that makes you nuts you need to find something to bite on so you will keep your mouth shut. Don't interrupt him even when he's sending you into orbit. Listen. Then ask him to repeat it so you can really hear what he's saying.

Kids make massive mistakes. Gifted kids, ADHD kids, doesn't matter. Our job as parents is to HELP THEM clean up their mistakes. Please notice I didn't say WE clean them up. He needs to own this and clean it up himself. You can't micro manage this. You can't nag him into anything.

Lots of talking. Lots of listening. Guide but don't do it yourself. You'll get there. So will he.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:16 PM

134 posts, read 342,849 times
Thanks DewDropIn. Silence is really golden when my teen comes up with ideas and the less I say, the more he'll think about it.

I don't want to extinguish recruitment at his high school. I wasn't aware there was so much info about it already at his high school. The issue I have is the discussion about medication which could have been handled differently. Teachers and other school staff cannot discuss ADHD medication or the condition to students or parents at all. The discussion my son had with the recruiter just seemed a bit more than just the armed forces requirement. There is so much limitations that college sports recruiters have to follow reguarding their 'encouragement' to join their campus, I would think it should also apply to army recruiters as well as job recruiters who come on campus to talk to students.

Looking on the bright side, I think my son has learned averaging out, winging it, and making sudden decisions about his meds without consulting a professional has consequences. I keep telling myself I'm glad he's making these mistakes now where I can give him my honest feedback than if he was making these mistakes on the job out on his own.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Looking on the bright side, I think my son has learned averaging out, winging it, and making sudden decisions about his meds without consulting a professional has consequences.
That lesson is huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting